Author Topic: Kim-Trump Summit (no, not THAT Kim)  (Read 2123 times)

Re: Kim-Trump Summit (no, not THAT Kim)
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2018, 12:44:36 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 244
https://www.ft.com/content/82df7074-7522-11e8-aa31-31da4279a601

For decades, the US was a “rotten, diseased, pirate nation” in the eyes of North Korea’s propagandists. Then almost overnight the hate stopped.

Following a landmark summit between Pyongyang and Washington on June 12, anti-US vitriol has disappeared from state media reports — a development that some analysts see as preparing North Koreans for a new era in relations between the two long-time adversaries.

“The anti-American slant is just gone. North Korea appears to be preparing people for a new beginning,” said Peter Ward, an expert at Seoul National University who studies the North’s propaganda.

Amazing...Great job by Trump/Pompeo/China/S.Korea...We'll be vacationing there someday,hopefully....while the Fake News riles people up with hatred....Iran is next.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2018, 08:43:14 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27787
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2018, 09:59:04 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Still skeptical, still hopeful:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/detente-sign-nkorea-not-holding-annual-anti-us-075456087.html
Cool. Also, largely pointless. Any news on when NK is disclosing their full nuclear inventories and the logistics of IAEA going in to monitor? I thought so.

Not to mention that if the US were willing to legitimize my hereditary dictatorship and look the other way while I commit genocide over my own people -- not only would I not hold anti-American rallies, I'd be doing a little jig on the proverbial table.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:04:16 AM by kozlodoev »
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2018, 06:21:41 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 13
So it turns out North Korea is continuing with its nuclear ambitions. Looks like its not denuclearizing.

Any guesses as to Trump's response?

My guess is: nothing.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/06/27/north-korea-continues-construction-nuclear-research-facility-despite-agreement-to-denuclearize-report.html

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2018, 06:26:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
So it turns out North Korea is continuing with its nuclear ambitions. Looks like its not denuclearizing.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/06/27/north-korea-continues-construction-nuclear-research-facility-despite-agreement-to-denuclearize-report.html
My guess is: calling it "fake news" and claiming that Kim is, like, a great fellow and he told him he's denuclerizing, so he's totally doing it.

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2018, 06:28:48 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 270

It's almost as if NK is very dangerously close to having the nuclear program they've always wanted, and bought themselves months more progress with this stupid Trump charade. Just like they have for the last decade every time they promise anything.
---
Lucky17 Yahoo! Points League: Jackalopes
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2018, 06:32:11 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey

My guess is: calling it "fake news" and claiming that Kim is, like, a great fellow and he told him he's denuclerizing, so he's totally doing it.

Well, this is why I made sure to use a Fox News link. Otherwise I worried that some on here might label my post as "Fake News" :)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2018, 06:32:40 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey

It's almost as if NK is very dangerously close to having the nuclear program they've always wanted, and bought themselves months more progress with this stupid Trump charade. Just like they have for the last decade every time they promise anything.

Anyway, I'm sure its all Obama's fault.
And Hillary Clinton's.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Well, this is why I made sure to use a Fox News link. Otherwise I worried that some on here might label my post as "Fake News" :)
I've caught myself doing that as well.

« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2018, 07:16:27 PM »

Offline greece666

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1171
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

As someone said in a previous post:

For the record, NK this is about the third time that NK commits to "working toward complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula". For those who don't do detail, by that they mean that the US will withdraw their military from the region and pull their nuclear shield from South Korea. Also, committing to "work toward" is not the same as committing to a final outcome (that's why the two previous agreements never got anywhere).

The DPRK never commited to unilateral denuclearizeation.

« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2018, 07:32:52 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Bailey Howell

For the record, NK this is about the third time that NK commits to "working toward complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula". For those who don't do detail, by that they mean that the US will withdraw their military from the region and pull their nuclear shield from South Korea. Also, committing to "work toward" is not the same as committing to a final outcome (that's why the two previous agreements never got anywhere).

You mean except for in 1985, 1992, 1994, 2005, 2007, 2007 (again) and 2012?

They may slightly tweak the terms in keeping with the times, but they've done this 8 times in the past 33 years during which time they've basically succeeded in becoming a nuclear power.

Or are we getting stuck on "unilateral"?
---
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2018, 07:45:30 PM »

Offline greece666

• Paul Silas

They may slightly tweak the terms in keeping with the times, but they've done this 8 times in the past 33 years during which time they've basically succeeded in becoming a nuclear power.

I think we can both see this is pointless. Let's leave it here.

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2018, 07:58:52 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Bailey Howell

How is it pointless? You say they haven't done this before and I pointed out the 7 previous times they have. I thought maybe I was missing something about why you used "unilateral", but I guess not?
---
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2018, 08:02:14 PM »

Offline greece666

• Paul Silas

From my POV it looks like you missed a lot, I'm sure it looks similar from your POV.

How is it pointless? You say they haven't done this before and I pointed out the 7 previous times they have. I thought maybe I was missing something about why you used "unilateral", but I guess not?

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2018, 08:14:18 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Bailey Howell

From my POV it looks like you missed a lot, I'm sure it looks similar from your POV.

I read the whole thread and understand you have a different take on the recent summit. No issue there, really, it's a complex issue and there's plenty of criticism to throw at past administrations as well.

Then you stated they have never agreed to this sort of thing before (I think, unless you were using "unilaterally" to exclude everything prior).

That's just factually untrue, as I pointed out with the 7 instances. How is it pointless to settle on the basic history, even if we draw different conclusions?

---
Offseason Tracker