Poll

Should trans boy athletes be allowed to compete with girls in high school sports

Yes
4 (9.5%)
No
38 (90.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Should trans boy athletes be allowed to compete with girls in high school sports  (Read 2196 times)

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1236
http://usatodayhss.com/2018/connecticut-parents-ban-transgender-track-athletes

That wasn't an easy heading to write due to the character restrictions.

So apparently about a week ago two people born as boys (one of them actually ran boys track in the winter) not only beat all the girls at a major track meet, but they set the state record and finished first and second. They're I think sophomores.

As a result some parents are trying to change the rules for the sport. Interestingly they aren't asking that trans girls be disallowed. They are asking they be disallowed if they haven't undergone hormone therapy....which is a whole other deal.

I think I saw this like a week ago but they were talking about it on the radio this morning. I'm still trying to figure out who "Turtle Boy" is. Shaughnesy?

I'm not not not trying to start a conversation on the wider issue of transgenderism. I just thought we live in a pretty liberal part of the country, but it's also a sports page and I was curious if opinion would be overwhelming in any direction or split in the middle.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:56:55 AM by eja117 »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 396
I voted no, because i think males whether or not transgender, still pose a physical advantage over females. While I am unsure the degree of this when it comes to much younger kids but i would assume once in high school, the gap widens.

Offline greece666

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1190
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
No.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27753
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I would say no, period, but the hormone therapy line is probably the best we’re going to get in today’s society  Otherwise, you have testosterone-fueled biological girls dominating sports against girls who aren’t using PEDs.

The playing field needs to be fair. There’s no right to play high school athletics.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
Maybe a good compromise would be for instead of two divisions....boys and girls....have four.......boys, trans boys, girls, and trans girls.

Offline gouki88

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 61
Maybe a good compromise would be for instead of two divisions....boys and girls....have four.......boys, trans boys, girls, and trans girls.
They'd probably feel more ostracised if that was done. Not that I disagree in theory, but I assume that'd be their reaction.

I voted no, unequivocally

Offline saltlover

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 2418
If they’ve finished making a transition to their gender (hormonal therapy, surgery, whatever else is prescribed), then yes.
“When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.”

Leviticus 19:33-34

Offline Fafnir

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 1167
The really sticky issue is intersex athletes, especially in track.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 105
Mentally ill boys pretending to be girls should absolutely not be participating with girls. Boys and girls have different bone structures, different muscles. It's insane to talk about hormone treatments and the like for children, who have no grasp of what they're doing to their young bodies.

All we're accomplishing with patronizing a boy or girl and allowing them to pretend they're something else is destroying a young life.

It's sick and it's evil.

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
The really sticky issue is intersex athletes, especially in track.
That's a good point I didn't think of. But isn't that extremely uncommon? Like 1 in 20 million births or something?

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 396
Mentally ill boys pretending to be girls should absolutely not be participating with girls. Boys and girls have different bone structures, different muscles. It's insane to talk about hormone treatments and the like for children, who have no grasp of what they're doing to their young bodies.

All we're accomplishing with patronizing a boy or girl and allowing them to pretend they're something else is destroying a young life.

It's sick and it's evil.

this is kind of my stance as well, if people have such a huge issue with steroids, this is more or less the anti steroids right? you're still controlling hormones, basically more or less, it's controlled and defeats the purpose of natural competition

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
Does anyone know what the Olympics or NCAA are planning on doing on this topic? I know there was a girl swimmer that transitioned to the boys Harvard swim team, but that's all I'm aware of

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 915
Does anyone know what the Olympics or NCAA are planning on doing on this topic? I know there was a girl swimmer that transitioned to the boys Harvard swim team, but that's all I'm aware of
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3412969/Olympics-change-policies-allow-transgender-athletes-compete-without-having-gender-reassignment-surgery.html

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 1060
  • What a Pub Should Be
If they’ve finished making a transition to their gender (hormonal therapy, surgery, whatever else is prescribed), then yes.

I'd be down with that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

It's sick and it's evil.
Jesus Christ, please do some research before you post about such an important and difficult subject. You obviously know absolutely nothing about what it means to be transgender. You sound like an uneducated, ignorant savage.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out