Author Topic: Table Saws?  (Read 12716 times)

Re: Table Saws?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 12:00:38 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Me thinks that you guys would do well to pool your collective knowledge on this topic and...band together ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

I saw that joke coming.

Perhaps since everyone in this thread was going out in search of said tool, I should have called them...Blade Runners ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

I think we need to cut this out.

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 12:04:06 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Me thinks that you guys would do well to pool your collective knowledge on this topic and...band together ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

I saw that joke coming.

Perhaps since everyone in this thread was going out in search of said tool, I should have called them...Blade Runners ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

Yeah, that's probably for the best, especially since I'm running out of saw jokes, lol ;D. Hopefully, I've helped to set the table, though ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 12:34:52 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I saw that joke coming.

Yeah, that's probably for the best, especially since I'm running out of saw jokes, lol ;D. Hopefully, I've helped to set the table, though ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

You guys are a bunch of cut ups.  Wood you please get back on topic.  The wordplay humor is hardly against the grain and pretty dull.

Left you in the dust on that one.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 12:38:52 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I saw that joke coming.

You guys are a bunch of cut ups.  Wood you please get back on topic.  The wordplay humor is hardly against the grain and pretty dull.

Welp, at least I didn't encounter any problems insofar as...bandwidth ;) :o ;D *groan* is concerned :-\ ;D.

Way to...reciprocate ;) ::) ;D *groan*, btw, lol ;D. TP.

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 07:38:34 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I saw that joke coming.

Welp, at least I didn't encounter any problems insofar as...bandwidth ;) :o ;D *groan* is concerned :-\ ;D.

Punning is my one "vice".
Yup

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 08:27:27 AM »

Offline buzz4209

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
I use the table saw you linked daily, and it's great for a "job site" saw.

I often wish I had a larger cabinet saw, primarily for more depth between the blade and the edge of the saw when using a cross cut sled.

For cutting plywood down to size I use a track saw though. Unless you have a huge table built up around your table saw it is very difficult to safely cut up sheets of plywood. The risk of pinching the blade is high, and very dangerous. It can be done, but it only takes one oops.

If you don't expect to do a lot of ripping boards into narrower widths I think a track saw is a better purchase for you than a table saw.

I'm very pleased with mine and wish I hadn't waited as long to get one as I did.

I primarily build cabinets and other furniture out of plywood, and for me if I had to choose one I'd pick just the track saw. With a couple jigs it can do everything the table saw can, and is much handier for plywood.

I have a dewalt, chosen because it was the cheapest with an anti-kickback option.

Hope that's helpful.

Buzz

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 10:35:06 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I often wish I had a larger cabinet saw, primarily for more depth between the blade and the edge of the saw when using a cross cut sled.

For cutting plywood down to size I use a track saw though. Unless you have a huge table built up around your table saw it is very difficult to safely cut up sheets of plywood. The risk of pinching the blade is high, and very dangerous. It can be done, but it only takes one oops.

If you don't expect to do a lot of ripping boards into narrower widths I think a track saw is a better purchase for you than a table saw.

I'm very pleased with mine and wish I hadn't waited as long to get one as I did.

I primarily build cabinets and other furniture out of plywood, and for me if I had to choose one I'd pick just the track saw. With a couple jigs it can do everything the table saw can, and is much handier for plywood.

I have a dewalt, chosen because it was the cheapest with an anti-kickback option.

Hope that's helpful.

Buzz
will check it out

Thanks
Yup

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Hope that's helpful.

Buzz

Will it work without the track for really small cuts?
Yup

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 11:05:18 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I’m looking for advice for what to get. I am a long frustrated handyman.  I have had zero luck with handheld circular saws. I don’t need anything industrial, but I’d like something that will last a long time, be manageable enough for me to learn and be big enough to handle a piece of plywood. 

I have pretty much decided on a Dewalt of some sort.  Place near me is having a decent promotion on them.  They have a portable one, but I’m sure how much I’m sacrificing (and whether what I’m sacrificing is beyond my needs anyhow).  They also have a rechargeable battery operated unit.

Hey boss ~   I own my own tool company....  20 years and I been selling blades for years and give tools away for free.  And we have been getting great feed back on the Porta Cable Table Saw.... its worm drive.   I would go with the worm drive style.  I think Bosch makes one too.     888-303-0711 EXT 1017    www.callfortools.com or www.toolsforthetrades.com     Would love and give you feed back.    Or even get you the blades for less than home depot/lowes/ace....    Hit me up and I'll do my best..   

Any carpenters out there?
Diggles

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 11:05:23 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think Kregg sells a track that you can mount any circular saw to.  I've never used it so I can't attest to how well it works but it seems like it could work in your situation. You could use the track for long cuts and then use your circular saw for shorter cuts.

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »

Offline buzz4209

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
Yes, it can be used without the track.
Slightly harder to see the cut line than with a standard circular saw.
My local bigbox store has a couple in stock as does Rockler, probably worth a hands on before you buy.
Everyone has different needs.
Buzz

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 05:58:13 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I saw that joke coming.

I get much of my sense of humor from my dad, so blame him, lol ;D.

Still, perhaps we should refer to ourselves as the..."pun"ishers ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I saw that joke coming.

Still, perhaps we should refer to ourselves as the..."pun"ishers ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

Me too.  Though my dad can stretch a pun to like 5 degrees of separation from its root. 
Yup

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 06:13:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I saw that joke coming.

Me too.  Though my dad can stretch a pun to like 5 degrees of separation from its root.

I "saw" that one coming a mile away.

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 06:20:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Table saws are nice, I think you will like them.  I got Hitachi one from Home Depot and it is very nice.   It is not the top of the line but it does 99% of what I need so I am fine with it.   I think I got it for  $189 or so.