Author Topic: Rumor: Leonard expected to sign extension with spurs?  (Read 2884 times)

Rumor: Leonard expected to sign extension with spurs?
« on: June 11, 2018, 07:00:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Any one know if this reporter is valid?

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/spurs-kawhi-leonard-expected-to-agree-to-extension-per-report

This what I always thought was most likely 76ers pie int he sky fantasies not withstanding...

Re: Rumor: Leonard expected to sign extension with spurs?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 07:02:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It makes the most sense for him. Take the most guaranteed money he can right now. He can always ask for a trade after he signs the extension, other stars have done that and it worked out for them.

It's also easier for the Spurs to get more back in a trade if Leonard is on a guaranteed deal for several years.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 07:09:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I predict Leonard will stay with San Antonio and he signs that 219M extension (him and the organization work things out).

That said, Kyler isn't exactly the most reliable reporter out there. I mean, he's certainly knowledgeable about basketball but isn't exactly a guy who gets many rumors right (and not the first guy who breaks big news like a Woj/Shams/Stein).

I still think the extension happens but still no official word yet. This sounds like just pure speculation and a prediction from Kyler to be honest. Otherwise we'd be hearing much more about it as well in the national media/news. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 07:13:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I predict Leonard will stay with San Antonio and he signs that 219M extension (him and the organization work things out).

That said, Kyler isn't exactly the most reliable reporter out there. I mean, he's certainly knowledgeable about basketball but isn't exactly a guy who gets many rumors right (and not the first guy who breaks big news like a Woj/Shams/Stein).

I still think the extension happens but still no official word yet. This sounds like just pure speculation and a prediction from Kyler to be honest. Otherwise we'd be hearing much more about it as well in the national media/news.

Thanks for that insight, I didn't know how connected he was. Aside from WOJ I don't really know who is legit and who isn't.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 07:17:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It makes the most sense for him. Take the most guaranteed money he can right now. He can always ask for a trade after he signs the extension, other stars have done that and it worked out for them.

It's also easier for the Spurs to get more back in a trade if Leonard is on a guaranteed deal for several years.

Yeah, he would be stupid to turn the money down. As you say, get paid then force the trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 07:17:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Steve Kyler has some connections.  I doubt he had the connections to break this story, and it’s more likely using logic (of course he’s going to sign) and little risk (few will remember if he’s wrong, but if he’s right he can claim to have broken the story).

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 07:19:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Thanks for that insight, I didn't know how connected he was. Aside from WOJ I don't really know who is legit and who isn't.

Yeah, like @salt said he has some connections and certainly isn't as bad as A. Sherrod Blakely and others who are always wrong and seem to purely guess everything (bad reporting), but this report seems like more of an educated guess. He's certainly not one of the "elite" NBA analysts/reporters out there though.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 07:41:21 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Yeah, like @salt said he has some connections and certainly isn't as bad as A. Sherrod Blakely and others who are always wrong and seem to purely guess everything (bad reporting), but this report seems like more of an educated guess. He's certainly not one of the "elite" NBA analysts/reporters out there though.

If Sherrod Blakely, Chris Broussard, or Stephen A. Smith says something then it's not happening.  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 08:15:21 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Not surprised at this news about Leonard. If Kyler said something that specific, I'd take it as credible. He usually speaks in generalities. Kyler talks to a lot of people, but he's not looking for scoops. For scoops/hard news, you need the following with Shams ahead of Woj now in my opinion. Marc Stein isn't working for ESPN now and has moved to the NY Times. Not sure how active he's going to be for them in the future.

Shams Charania
https://twitter.com/shamscharania

Adrian Wojnarowski
https://twitter.com/wojespn

Marc Stein
https://twitter.com/thesteinline?lang=en

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 08:25:47 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Good news if true

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 09:04:51 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Good. Philly going have all this cap space and come away with absolutely no
Max players

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 09:10:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Max players
Would be so awesome!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 09:28:50 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Yeah, he would be stupid to turn the money down. As you say, get paid then force the trade.
He can't be traded for a full year if he signs for the designated veteran extension.  Kawhi turning down the extension never made sense.  It was more about if the Spurs would offer it this offseason due to the injury.  They have the option to wait until next offseason to offer it assuming he plays enough and qualifies for it again.

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 09:31:36 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Max players
Would be so awesome!
If they do miss out, they'll do 1 year deals and try again next offseason. 

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 12:43:20 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Max players
Would be so awesome!
If they do miss out, they'll do 1 year deals and try again next offseason.

Might keep striking out