Author Topic: If Celts stand pat, delay bringing back Irving and Hayward. Best chance?  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This Irving/Haywardless unit has shown (playoff run) that they should be able to do very well in the regular season.  Top 4 in the EC

Rest Irving/Hayward for as long as they need to (up to mid season if need be).  Then bring them back for the home stretch/Playoffs

This would result in a much higher chance they will be fully healthy for a deep playoff run.  If Kyrie has 50-60 top calibre games for next season, wouldn't it be better to save it for the later half/playoffs ?

thoughts

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Hayward needs reps badly. I expect him to be rusty so he needs as many reps as possible to shake off the rust. He’s only been playing 1v1 recently

I don’t see the rest happening unless they are setbacks in recovery

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Hayward needs reps badly. I expect him to be rusty so he needs as many reps as possible to shake off the rust. He’s only been playing 1v1 recently

I don’t see the rest happening unless they are setbacks in recovery

I get what you mean

But what if there is a mileage limit. 

IF Irving had rested much earlier than he did. And didn't play so many mins early in the season

there was probably a chance he would have been able to play in the playoffs (so not play 10-15  regular season games and instead play these games in the playoffs)

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
No.  I believe if the celts meet the warriors in the finals, the team with home court will win it.  Go all out to win as many games as possible.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No.  I believe if the celts meet the warriors in the finals, the team with home court will win it.  Go all out to win as many games as possible.
Yeah, this is a big factor. We've seen how much certain players of ours thrive at home
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Yeah, this is a big factor. We've seen how much certain players of ours thrive at home

Like game 7  of ECF ? ;)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Like game 7  of ECF ? ;)
Please don't remind me of that mind-boggling brickfest
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Couldn't agree more.

Would much prefer that Gordie play once a week, and Kyrie maybe twice for the first quarter of season. Then slowly build.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
No. play them right away. Just limit their minutes. We need to build chemistry and also for them to shake off their rust.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Couldn't agree more.

Would much prefer that Gordie play once a week, and Kyrie maybe twice for the first quarter of season. Then slowly build.

Yes. Also never play them b2b games

The luxury of last seasons mishap =  the team won't go into panic mode if one or both are not playing.

So never play them b2b, bring Hayward off the bench at the start,  don't play Irving alot of mins and stick with scheduled breaks for starters

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
These guys aren't late season buyout pickups.  You just can't rest them so long when they are healthy.  The idea is ridiculous to me.  Do you think they will be happy not playing?  Of course not, plus Kyrie is in a contract season.  I'm ok with slightly lower minutes and an occasional day off if some injury is starting to nag one of them, but would be an insult to everyone to baby them too much.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think building chemistry, Hayward learning to trust his ankle, and knocking off rust are more important than rest.

Limiting minutes is fine, but I wouldn’t support sitting out more games than needed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Their doctors and trainers will prescribe their minute restrictions.

But generally agree that subject to that, get them back in to get confidence back in the injured leg, and develop team chemistry. We haven't seen how the full team will gel; we saw positive glimpses in preseason, that's it. This will be a different team when those two return. Especially from the one that finished the season post-Irving.

I also agree that going for home court advantage is a worthwhile goal.  It could make the difference. Without it, we probably don't escape first round of playoffs.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I have no problem waiting until they are healthy, but if they are healthy you play them as soon as they are to get all the rust and kinks out. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip