Author Topic: Re-sign Smart with a shooting clause  (Read 2908 times)

Re: Re-sign Smart with a shooting clause
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 07:58:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Shooting clause you say?

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 08:26:42 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
You can put shooting incentives in a contract but beware of unintended consequences.  The season before last Moe Harkless had an incentive on his 3pt percentage.  So towards the end of the season when his percentage was above the incentive percentage, Harkless just stopped shooting 3s.

I wouldn't worry about it. Smart is better driving and posting up smaller guys.

Stopped shooting 3s?  You're only making the case stronger for giving Smart this clause. :)

Ha! TP. Or make it just FG%

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 09:00:33 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
$1000 fine for every shot taken after he reaches 8 attempts in a game.

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 09:05:06 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
You can put shooting incentives in a contract but beware of unintended consequences.  The season before last Moe Harkless had an incentive on his 3pt percentage.  So towards the end of the season when his percentage was above the incentive percentage, Harkless just stopped shooting 3s.

Stopped shooting 3s?  You're only making the case stronger for giving Smart this clause. :)

This is exactly what's on my mind.

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 09:25:45 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Go after JJ redick. Problem solved. Avery Bradley is also out there. AB pretty much negates everything Smart brings to the table.

Have you been following AB's career? He is nowhere near the defender nor shooter that he used to be. Reddick is someone I would like to bring in though.

He's been hurt. I think it's a little premature to write AB off right now. I'm just saying if he's healthy, he brings same amount of defensive intensity that Smart does and he's a better scorer. I'm not anti - Smart but he's certainly not worth the money he seems to be expecting. I think the focus needs to be JJ Reddick or dangle Jaylen Brown out there and see what you can get.   

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 09:55:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
His agent gets a part of his pay and would never agree with it.
He would if it was on top of the best offer.  Say 4yr/40M that could go up to 4yr/50M with shooting incentives. 

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Can they put a “gratuitous heat check” cap in there while they’re at it?

Maybe cap it at .1 per game.  Let the man chuck one up there every couple of weeks.
Yup

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 05:42:02 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
His agent gets a part of his pay and would never agree with it.

How does that work with agents in the NBA?

If the Celtics would pay Smart $10 million a year, then how much do they have to pay the agent?

Like $3 million commission fee and an additional $1 million for every contract year, or more?

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 07:00:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sports agents generally receive between 4 and 10% of the athlete's playing contract, and 10 to 20% of the athlete's endorsement contract, although these figures vary. NFL agents are not permitted to receive more than 3%, and NBA agents not more than 4%, of their client's playing contracts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_agent

So  3% is the max in the NBA of the playing contract.  So just for example a 30 million contract would net an agent $900,000 before taxes.

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 07:43:41 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Smart can't control himself, he's not one with who he really is. A mason!

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 09:04:21 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
This is an awful idea. One of the worst things a player can do is being afraid or reluctant to shoot. It would drive me insane seeing some of the Celtics players passing up open shots, and then leaving Smart with no choice but to shoot the ball before the shot clock went off. I like the fact that Smart is not afraid to fail or miss a shot. I'm sure he puts a ton of work in to improve his shooting, and with the relentless effort he shows on the court, I have no issue with him shooting as much as he does. I did notice one major improvement this season, and it's the fact that Marcus stopped or severely reduced how often he would exaggerate a foul and alter his shooting stroke in order to sell a foul call. Now that use to drive me nuts.

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 09:33:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is an awful idea. One of the worst things a player can do is being afraid or reluctant to shoot. It would drive me insane seeing some of the Celtics players passing up open shots, and then leaving Smart with no choice but to shoot the ball before the shot clock went off. I like the fact that Smart is not afraid to fail or miss a shot. I'm sure he puts a ton of work in to improve his shooting, and with the relentless effort he shows on the court, I have no issue with him shooting as much as he does. I did notice one major improvement this season, and it's the fact that Marcus stopped or severely reduced how often he would exaggerate a foul and alter his shooting stroke in order to sell a foul call. Now that use to drive me nuts.
I'd be fine if Smart stopped shooting though.  Might actually lead to a better % and make it a much better weapon.  Smart's greatest flaw is his inability to know when to not shoot. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 09:34:54 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I have a theory that is mostly wishful thinking but I've convinced myself is possible.

At the start of this season a lot of us figured, because this is a contract year and he's faced a lot of scrutiny over it, Smart is never going to have more incentive to improve his shooting. And then the season happened and he's as bad as he's ever been. But maybe we were thinking about it wrong.

Smart is not like other players. He doesn't need the motivation of a new contract. His problem, if anything, is too much motivation. He gets overexcited on the court and that causes a lot of his mistakes. There was a quote from Brad a few weeks ago about Smart playing too hard in practices sometimes. The last thing he needs is more motivation behind his natural will to win.

So maybe, just maybe, if he signs a 4 year deal it will give him a bit of a sense of relief and security and his shooting will actually improve. I'm not saying it will change the way he plays but even if he signs a 4yr/$40mil deal, which is on the low end of what he wants, that's the kind of guaranteed money, on top of what he's already made, that can relax a person a little bit.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 10:44:17 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I have a theory that is mostly wishful thinking but I've convinced myself is possible.

At the start of this season a lot of us figured, because this is a contract year and he's faced a lot of scrutiny over it, Smart is never going to have more incentive to improve his shooting. And then the season happened and he's as bad as he's ever been. But maybe we were thinking about it wrong.

Smart is not like other players. He doesn't need the motivation of a new contract. His problem, if anything, is too much motivation. He gets overexcited on the court and that causes a lot of his mistakes. There was a quote from Brad a few weeks ago about Smart playing too hard in practices sometimes. The last thing he needs is more motivation behind his natural will to win.

So maybe, just maybe, if he signs a 4 year deal it will give him a bit of a sense of relief and security and his shooting will actually improve. I'm not saying it will change the way he plays but even if he signs a 4yr/$40mil deal, which is on the low end of what he wants, that's the kind of guaranteed money, on top of what he's already made, that can relax a person a little bit.

I like this theory.

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2018, 10:05:43 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
$1000 fine for every shot taken after he reaches 8 attempts in a game.

Nice!  No incentives, just fines if he shoots too many bad shots? Not sure I've heard something like this before.