Author Topic: Hate It or Love It - the Stars are Perfectly Aligned for Lebron to Boston  (Read 8169 times)

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
If the Cavs are swept tonight, for better or worse the stars will be virtually perfectly aligned for Lebron to come to Boston. Boston checks off pretty much every box that we know Lebron is looking for: (1) a team in the East; (2) a team ready to compete now and can legitimately challenge the Warriors; (3) a team who is young enough to give Lebron sustained success into his later years; (4) an elite coach; (5) an elite management/ownership group who is willing to spend; (6) a big market city; and (7) an avenue of attaining Lebron’s services without decimating the roster. None of his other suitors can match all of these boxes and be as ideal of a fit as we are.

But even more influential is the current context and narrative surrounding the Warriors and this playoff run. Given that GS has this narrative of “invincibility” and the fact that Lebron will likely only take one game from GS in the Finals over two years, the narrative is perfectly set up for Lebron to join a rival team like Boston to take down the “invincible” Warriors.

Think about it. What led KD to ultimately sign with the Warriors – the fact that they ended up losing the Finals in 2016. KD even said himself that he could only envision himself joining the Warriors after they blew the 3-1 lead in the 2016 Finals. What better excuse is there to join a long-time rival like Boston than to take down the “invincible” Warriors? What’s more, the fact that we didn’t end up beating Lebron to go to the Finals makes this scenario all the more ideal, as Lebron can’t be blamed of “jumping ship” to a team that beat him, like KD was in 2016.

To be honest – this has Hollywood written all over it. It’s the classic tale of two long-time rivals working together to take down a younger, newer, “invincible” foe. In fact, excuse my nerdiness, but this is pretty much the entire narrative of Dragonball Z lol Specifically, it’s two long-time rivals (Goku and Vegeta) putting aside their differences and coming together to beat the more powerful villain (Frieza/Cell/Buu).

Now, I’m not saying in any way that he’s a lock to come here or that I’m necessarily in agreement with wanting Lebron in Boston. It will come at an awfully high price (trade of Hayward or Irving), and I’m not sure that I can emotionally deal with rooting for Lebron in green after over a decade of rooting against him.

But you have to admit how perfectly aligned the stars are for Lebron to join Boston at this time. With the increasing talk and smoke around this possibility and how perfectly this “Hollywood-esque” narrative and context has set up this possibility, I’m becoming more and more convinced that Lebron to Boston is a legitimate possibility this summer, for better or worse.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think it's true that Boston makes the most sense for Bron ...

At the same time, it also seems like Boston is the last place Bron ever wants to play for.  Boston has always been the team in his way, the city that boos him, a city with a racist reputation, etc.

With that said, LeBron may ultimately care more about trying to win more titles rather than what uniform he puts on.

I have to say I'm conflicted.

I've been saying over and over -- Kyrie, Jaylen, Hayward, Tatum, Horford.  That's all I want next year.  I want to see what that team can do.

But, if you add LeBron to the mix -- maybe that means Kyrie has to go, or Hayward, or maybe we trade Jaylen, I dunno, just as long as Tatum stays put -- that ups the ante even further.

LeBron plus our young guys and Horford ... that team could seriously compete for titles, even against the Warriors, for the next 3-4 years.  Heck, the way LeBron looks right now, he could be an All-NBA caliber player for another 5 or 6 years.  Especially if he finally gets some help and doesn't have to carry a burden akin to Atlas carrying the world on his shoulders.

Still, it's so hard to imagine LeBron wanting to play in Boston.

I also hate the idea of the Celtics turning into another franchise that revolves around LeBron.  A franchise whose culture is determined by LeBron.  Marketing, all about LeBron.  And so on.

I would only be OK with Bron on the team if he is willing to be a part of the team as opposed to BEING THE TEAM. 

The Celts have built something really great from top to bottom.  If LeBron is willing and capable of joining that without sabotaging that organizational culture in favor of how he's done things in Cleveland, then I can get on board with it.

I have to say, the idea of what it would look like if LeBron bought into a Brad Stevens style system, surrounded by the players the Celts have on their roster, is really tantalizing.  I'm just not sure it's possible.  Bron has never really been part of a system.

p.s. the Celtics are TOTALLY Vegeta in your example.  Always fighting, always striving, always wanting to believe we're better, but always, in the end, losing to Goku, because Goku is THE guy.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Perfectly aligned except for the money thing.  And the Kyrie thing.  I’m not buying a trade so basically, it’s not happening.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
It's nice that the Celtics are now in every conversation in the NBA. That's how you know you are a top team.

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
It does have Hollywood written all over it...you're right.

It would be high drama.

For entertainment purposes...it would be delicious.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I gave TP based on DBZ reference :)

I like the idea of us being DBZ vs GSW's Avengers :)

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
You know what, Ainge should tell Lebron to sign for MLE and also convince him to sign some endorsement deals (like Dunkin Donuts, etc) to make up whatever is left to make it a "max" deal  :P

Hayward and Tatum powering the second unit. Oh lord!  :o  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/8/17440192/lebron-james-boston-celtics-offseason

The Knicks is an interesting idea. 

James opts in and is traded before the draft in something like this

Boston - James
New York - Irving, Morris
Cleveland - Kanter, Mudiay, Yabusele, Nader, 9, 27
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Nice job jpotter.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Lebron.  Greatest player of his generation. I would be supportive of him ending up in Boston. 

Most reasonable move seems to be Horford for Lebron sign-and-trade. 

That leaves us light on centers.  Pick a popular rumor (towns or Bamba) and say goodbye to Jaylen.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Only thing I like about this LeBron drama is the fact that Cs get brought up with big name guys now. I think they have shed that stigma of people not wanting to come to Boston for the most part.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Perfectly aligned except for the money thing.  And the Kyrie thing.  I’m not buying a trade so basically, it’s not happening.
there is no beef between kyrie and Lebron. There was beef between kyrie and Cleveland.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Given they didn't talk during the month long period his trade demand was known, that Kryie's camp thought LBJ's camp leaked it, and that LBJ signed off trading him for PG and Bledsoe I do not see Kyrie sticking around if LBJ joins Boston.

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Boston might genuinely be Lebron's best shot at taking one or more additional rings off the Warriors, who aren't going anywhere anytime soon. However, I just can't imagine him agreeing to come to Boston given all the history. Ainge will almost certainly try to make it happen, but it won't.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I wonder what Cleveland would actually want in a sign-and-trade? LeBron might come out looking good if he leaves under those terms instead of just bolting again. They may be able to get some great talent or picks for him and expedite the rebuild.

If there is a great player at 8 and they can get something like the Sac pick and Rozier... that may be enticing to them. I just don’t see how we can match salaries without giving up one of Horford/Hayward/Irving.

Fun to think about but unless he REALLY loves the franchise and Stevens, I don’t see anything coming of it. Unless Ainge can sell him downshifting his usage (and stats) so he’s fresh for the playoffs and he’s got the horses around him to 3-peat, I can’t see it.

With the story about us worrying about Kyrie bolting, wouldn’t it be something if we did a three-way sending Kyrie somewhere (like the Knicks) and us netting LeBron?
CELTICS 2024

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/8/17440192/lebron-james-boston-celtics-offseason

The Knicks is an interesting idea. 

James opts in and is traded before the draft in something like this

Boston - James
New York - Irving, Morris
Cleveland - Kanter, Mudiay, Yabusele, Nader, 9, 27

Yeah, that would be a fairly realistic trade with Irving and about what Cleveland could expect in that situation.

The same type of three-way trade could be used for Hayward if Irving was okay with a Lebron trade, too. A place like Miami or maybe even Utah would be thrilled to help facilitate a three-way deal for Hayward.

I just would feel bad to trade Hayward straight to the Cleveland wasteland after what he went through this year, though.