Author Topic: Let's be realistic  (Read 1790 times)

Let's be realistic
« on: June 08, 2018, 01:24:20 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Wow. So as far as I can tell, this summer we have learned that:

(1) We should seriously consider trading Jaylen Brown for an unproven rookie in the 2018 draft;
(2) Marcus Smart will get $14-16 million per year on the open market and we will lose him for nothing;
(3) Danny's going to move Kyrie Irving, who is a massive injury risk, because in 2017 Kyrie said he might consider the Knicks as a destination, and we need to get anything now rather than risk losing him for nothing;
(4) We have to move Terry Rozier for a mid-1st round pick because otherwise we will lose him for nothing at some point in the future;
(5) We have an imminent "gaping hole" up front because Al Horford is 32 and will soon fall off the proverbial cliff;
(6) Gordon Hayward had to travel to Indianapolis to "re-learn how to walk," and there's no guarantee he ever comes back as an NBA starter;
(7) Our team morale is in an utter shambles because we had key players who were injured and rehabbing rather than sitting on the bench during playoff games;

Am I the only one who thinks our best asset is probably our own 2019 pick? I mean, it could be top 5.

Re: Let's be realistic
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 01:25:55 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
On CelticsBlog? Never ;) ;D.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 01:26:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
You forgot about LeBron being the missing piece ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 01:29:55 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Amusing.  ;D

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 01:48:06 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Blow it up! Trust the process! We got lucky!

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 01:49:13 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Don't get me wrong. I am all for being unrealistic. But for God's sake, can't we be unrealistically positive like normal sports fans?!?!

I mean, I am totally psyched about how we are going to win 65 games and beat the Warriors next year, with the same team we had this year plus healthy Hayward and Irving for the playoffs.

I dunno, it just seems more fun that way to me.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 03:02:47 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Don't get me wrong. I am all for being unrealistic. But for God's sake, can't we be unrealistically positive like normal sports fans?!?!

I mean, I am totally psyched about how we are going to win 65 games and beat the Warriors next year, with the same team we had this year plus healthy Hayward and Irving for the playoffs.

I'm not sure that that's the manner in which everything works around here, lol ;D.

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 03:06:57 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Wow. So as far as I can tell, this summer we have learned that:

(1) We should seriously consider trading Jaylen Brown for an unproven rookie in the 2018 draft;
(2) Marcus Smart will get $14-16 million per year on the open market and we will lose him for nothing;
(3) Danny's going to move Kyrie Irving, who is a massive injury risk, because in 2017 Kyrie said he might consider the Knicks as a destination, and we need to get anything now rather than risk losing him for nothing;
(4) We have to move Terry Rozier for a mid-1st round pick because otherwise we will lose him for nothing at some point in the future;
(5) We have an imminent "gaping hole" up front because Al Horford is 32 and will soon fall off the proverbial cliff;
(6) Gordon Hayward had to travel to Indianapolis to "re-learn how to walk," and there's no guarantee he ever comes back as an NBA starter;
(7) Our team morale is in an utter shambles because we had key players who were injured and rehabbing rather than sitting on the bench during playoff games;

Am I the only one who thinks our best asset is probably our own 2019 pick? I mean, it could be top 5.
TP.
We also learned that our assistants are not good enough to be HC on some other team in the league, meaning they are practically a worthless bunch.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:13:53 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 06:00:13 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
For a 100th time: Why in the world would we trade Brown for any draft pick???!!

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 06:18:36 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Keeping it real...ok.

To some, the glass is half full...wow, look at what we accomplished this year...and just think of what we WILL accomplish next year with a fully healthy Hayward and Irving!!

...I tend to seek out people like that.  They usually don't steal my bacon off the plate when I go back up to the buffet to get the biscuit I forgot! :)

To others, the glass is half empty...uh, that would definitely include all the things you wrote, plus some others like Danny blew it on the Greek Freak and James Young, Coach should have played (fill in the blank) more than he did, Yabu and a 2nd round pick should get us Leonard (ok, that last one may be more of a "what the heck is he drinking?" instead).

...bacon stealers, one and all!

To summarize, half full guys...enjoy your bacon.
Half empty guys...never take your eyes off your bacon!

:)

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 06:30:48 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
For a 100th time: Why in the world would we trade Brown for any draft pick???!!

I think this post may have gotten away from you a bit there buddy.  :)
#JKJB

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 07:06:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

We have not heard the C's organization say that.

Folks here always over estimate what guys get on the market.   I recall people thinking Sully would get like 15 million a year when the signs of him heading out the league were obvious.

He will be moveable and we move on if that happens.

See three above he is the insurance policy and he still has room to grow as a player.

Al is smart and I think he will age well but no man knows when father time will bring him low.

Typical the sky is falling stuff, he will be ready by training camp.

Yeah this one kills me.

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 07:17:47 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

65 games and a ring isn't even too unrealistic
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 09:52:47 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Here's what Ainge should be willing to give the Cavs if Bron wanted to come to Boston.

To Cavs - Horford, Grizzlies and Clippers pick.

Unload Horford's deal and they aren't getting the Kings pick.

Sign Bron to a 1+1 deal.

Other than that, he can walk and the Cavs get nothing.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 10:06:49 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think NBA blogs should be blocked until October every year.  Including Facebook.