Author Topic: Possible complicated sign-and-trade scenarios  (Read 3994 times)

Re: Possible complicated sign-and-trade scenarios
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 12:22:21 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If ya'll take anything away from this, take away the fact that Marcus Smart can be signed-and-traded.  I think that's an important point.

Unfortunately, I thought the same but @saltlover explained that Smart's S&T value will only count for half the money in a trade.

So even if he hypothetically signed a 20M/Year extension as a S&T piece, it would only count for 10M in the trade, not 20M.

TP for being a good student!

;D  8)

If ya'll take anything away from this, take away the fact that Marcus Smart can be signed-and-traded.  I think that's an important point.

Unfortunately, I thought the same but @saltlover explained that Smart's S&T value will only count for half the money in a trade.

So even if he hypothetically signed a 20M/Year extension as a S&T piece, it would only count for 10M in the trade, not 20M.

Phantom can be our resident cap expert  when saltlover is inevitably hired to replace Mike Zarren

Yeah I'll definitely need to enroll in some economics courses and such in the near future then  :P

Also dedicate hours to studying the CBA and cap info.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 03:14:10 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Even so, if you combined Smart (20M downgraded to 10) + Morris (5.3) + Yabu (2.6) + sign-and-trade Monroe (6), that allows the Celtics to back 125% = 30 mil.

Even without Monroe we're looking at just adding Smart (20 down to 10) + Morris (5.3) + Yabu (2.6) + Nader (1.4) = around 24 mil... which is right around what Durant took his pay-cut year.

Boston could then offer LeBron more with non-bird rights the next year.  Ideally, Horford also opts out to take a team-friendly multi-year deal as well to reduce his 2019-20 salary.

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 06:04:11 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Even so, if you combined Smart (20M downgraded to 10) + Morris (5.3) + Yabu (2.6) + sign-and-trade Monroe (6), that allows the Celtics to back 125% = 30 mil.

Even without Monroe we're looking at just adding Smart (20 down to 10) + Morris (5.3) + Yabu (2.6) + Nader (1.4) = around 24 mil... which is right around what Durant took his pay-cut year.

Boston could then offer LeBron more with non-bird rights the next year.  Ideally, Horford also opts out to take a team-friendly multi-year deal as well to reduce his 2019-20 salary.
For Cavs to take on Smart for 20 million you would probably have to give up the Kings pick.
I'm not against a sign and trade but how would the rotation work?

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 07:37:12 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I can’t imagine Cleveland agreeing to take on Smart if we overpay him by that much.
if picks are included the dynamic can change.  If their options are losing LeBron for nothing or getting Smart and a 1st, they probably have to take Smart and the 1st.

CLE is in luxury cap hell. They are not going to do a deal where they suck after the deal and are still in the same tax position.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 08:07:17 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
The easiest way to get James is Hayward and Morris

The most likely is a three way deal with Kyrie. He does not want to play with James nor does he want to play for Lue or back in Cleveland

Kyrie to the knick

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 08:48:24 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Neat idea, except that this takes the Celtics above the hard cap (which they are subject to with a sign-and-trade) with only 11 players on the roster, gives the Cavs a crippling luxury tax bill for a team that isn’t likely to be very good next year, and sign-and-trade deals are for a minimum of three years so LeBron could not re-sign with his non-Bird rights next year.  And no, he could not be released and then resigned, because surely a team would claim LeBron, and the NBA would recognize such a maneuver as blatantly making an illegal contract agreement and prohibit the Celtics from resigning LeBron if they released him.

Oh, and the Cavs are also subject to the hard cap because they’re getting Smart in a sign-and-trade, and you’ve sent them more than $10 million over the hard cap.  Just getting Smart alone makes it impossible for them to field a 15-man roster and stay under the hard cap without additional moves.

So yeah, there’s a lot wrong with that idea.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:13:34 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 08:59:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Possible but its is very improbable.   

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2018, 09:47:33 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Once again. As soon as you mention “salary dumping Horford” the idea goes straight out the window for me.