Author Topic: Mannix: Celtics have concerns about Kyrie re-signing in 2019  (Read 8714 times)

Re: Mannix: Celtics have concerns about Kyrie re-signing in 2019
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2018, 07:11:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I’m not going to read an article that’s mostly looking for clicks.  That’s said:

The Celtics would be wise to have some measure of concern.  Kyrie will be a free agent next summer, for the first time in his career.  It would be rational for Kyrie to want to go through that process to make certain he’s choosing the right situation for himself.  The Celtics can not offer him an extension before that free agency period that will remotely compare with the offers he can receive in free agency, and so all parties know he’s going to hit the open market.  And as long as he’s going to listen to offers, there is a chance he will go elsewhere.

Does this mean the Celtics should overreact and trade him?  Certainly not.  It just means they can’t take Kyrie’s presence in Boston for granted beyond this season.  It’s one reason that while they should listen to offers for Rozier this summer, the asking price needs to be high.  And it’s why they will be willing to match a Marcus Smart contract that some here might consider too high (although there is certainly a limit).

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It's all propaganda/fake news. Funny how this article comes at the heels of LeBron to Boston rumors.

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2018, 08:15:09 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Jackie Mac piece earlier this year scared the crap out of me. Made it seem like kyrie had little say in coming to Boston, gets really stir crazy easily and has always been a spontaneous type constantly looking for new challenges.   

The bigger concern is that he and jimmy butler are very close and both hit free agency at the same time.  Kyrie was interested in getting traded to Chicago when butler was there and was interested in getting traded to the wolves once butler got moved.  Those two teaming up in New York or Los Angeles is my biggest worry.

I mean, the obvious would be a deal centered around Kyrie for Towns. Minny might have an uphill battle convincing them both to stay there, but there might not be a ton of realistic options for them to team up in the future.

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2018, 08:59:04 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Jackie Mac piece earlier this year scared the crap out of me. Made it seem like kyrie had little say in coming to Boston, gets really stir crazy easily and has always been a spontaneous type constantly looking for new challenges.   

The bigger concern is that he and jimmy butler are very close and both hit free agency at the same time.  Kyrie was interested in getting traded to Chicago when butler was there and was interested in getting traded to the wolves once butler got moved.  Those two teaming up in New York or Los Angeles is my biggest worry.

I mean, the obvious would be a deal centered around Kyrie for Towns. Minny might have an uphill battle convincing them both to stay there, but there might not be a ton of realistic options for them to team up in the future.

Why would wolves do that for a soon to be ufa Irving?

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2018, 09:01:30 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I guess anything is possible (ANYTHING'S POSSIBLLLLLLLLE!) but I doubt Ainge trades him, and I doubt he leaves in free agency.

Kyrie strikes me as a basketball junkie that was desperate to get out of Cleveland because he craved being in a good, well-coached, winning basketball environment. I think he was truly thrilled to be traded here and you could see it on his face next to Hayward when they were introduced together. Remember that Kyrie helped recruit Hayward to Cleveland a few years ago, that same offseason that the Cavs snatched back Lebron from Miami.

Why would he leave Boston? Because he's a movie star now? His team probably has the 2nd best chances to win the title next year, and the 1st or 2nd best future in the league, with a coach that everyone loves. And the Celtics can pay him more than any other team. Do you think the glitz and glamour of New York will be too much for him to resist? I think the past few years of the Knicks and Lakers striking out in free agency have shown us that a sexy city alone isn't enough by itself to attract top free agents.

There's always a risk when guys hit free agency. I just think that risk is small enough and Kyrie is valuable enough that it's worth taking if you're the Celtics.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2018, 12:32:21 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
A lot of people on Realgm are convinced that this is just Ainge floating a rumor to about Kyrie not re-signijg to soften the blow for a trade this summer.

Ha. I came to half-jokingly post that it's not beyond Ainge to start shaking the trees looking for a third team for a Lebron opt-in-and-trade. Ainge gonna Ainge.

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2018, 12:34:43 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Chris Mannix hates the Celtics right? Should be no concern then.

Frosted Tips? ;) ;D

more like frosted flakes. lol
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2018, 02:29:47 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Fake News LOL

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2018, 02:41:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The fact people are buying into this click bait nonsense is exactly why reporters continue to put out such garbage reporting.

But whatever, I'll bet any one of you all of my TP's Kyrie ends up re-signing in Boston.
Agree
Also agree

And agreed. Whatever source Mannix has, it doesn’t come from within the Celtics inner-circle.

I feel like the reporting here is only slightly better than an A. Sherrie Blakey “speculation as news”.
The Cleveland spin has been this is Ainge prepping to trade Kyrie.  :blank:

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2018, 04:04:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's CLE guys saying he wants to play in NYC and he left CLE to get out of LeBron's shadow and now the rumors of LBJ coming here.   

Hmmmmm, so is it safe to say CLE is creating this to cause us problems?

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2018, 06:02:05 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Chris Mannix hates the Celtics right? Should be no concern then.

Frosted Tips? ;) ;D

more like frosted flakes. lol

Lol, during a regrettable weeklong period last month where I decided to see as to who Nick Wright, etc., was given the popular references thereof on here, I came across a segment with Mannix, below.

Tell me, is it the result of too much makeup combined with a darker background given the Cavs' logo, or does the guy look like he's been left in the deep fryer for too long, lol? ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9y0VEfoBc

Also, in searching for this particular clip, the first picture that pops us in Google Images when you, well, search for "chris mannix first things first" is this epic thumbnail, LOL ;D -

Me thinks that it was someone's last day ;D.

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Has anyone ever wondered how it's possible that resign and re-sign are just about opposites?

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2018, 08:05:00 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2018, 08:06:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

When was this?
Like a day before they shut down Kyrie for the season.  Obviously they were having a tough conversation about it.