Poll

Is Doc the optimal coach for lebron?

Yes
6 (54.5%)
No
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Is Doc Rivers the perfect coach for lebron?  (Read 1588 times)

Is Doc Rivers the perfect coach for lebron?
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:20:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I was trying to think what coach in the league would be best for lebron
Doc is a players coach. He lets players run their own plays if their basketball IQ is high enough (rondo, cp3, etc)

LeBron couldn’t play for someone like Pop in all. That’d be hell for LeBron. LeBron doesn’t want to be put into a “defined system”. LeBron wants the system to be, “give me the ball, and let me ‘Quarterback’ each possession”. That’s not a Pop offense.

I think the clippers could be a dark horse for lebron. Steve ballmer is richer than rich, luxury tax is a joke to him. I think he's willing to break the bank to see what can happen

Re: Is Doc Rivers the perfect coach for lebron?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:45:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It’s fine for Ballmer to be willing to break the bank, but the Clippers’ cap situation is not conducive to getting LeBron, and even if they could combine the Cavs to take on $30 million in bad contract along with their two late lottery picks this year, what type of team can they put around him, now subject to the hard cap and only able to offer minimum contracts?  (Not to mention Cleveland is uninterested in what the Clippers have to offer.)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:51:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Doc Rivers is a coach?

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 10:51:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
It’s fine for Ballmer to be willing to break the bank, but the Clippers’ cap situation is not conducive to getting LeBron, and even if they could combine the Cavs to take on $30 million in bad contract along with their two late lottery picks this year, what type of team can they put around him, now subject to the hard cap and only able to offer minimum contracts?  (Not to mention Cleveland is uninterested in what the Clippers have to offer.)
yeah I get what you mean

Tp

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think Doc as LeBUM's coach is a good thought.  None of us has any idea what LeBUm will do except I think he'll do what he wants to do = regardless of the money or what Cleveland gets in a trade or anything.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 10:30:20 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This is an interesting idea that got me thinking: What if the Lakers are not the main LA destination for Lebron-Leonard?

I mean, it won't be easy to make it happen, but it also isn't impossible.

For instance, if the Cavs know that Lebron is leaving anyway, they would surely accept an offer to get Harris + salary filler + a protected 1st, right? I mean, that's not fair value for Lebron, but if Lebron says, "I'm gonna opt out and sign elsewhere unless you trade me to the Clippers," then they would take the value they could get instead of losing him for nothing.

At that points, the Clippers starting 5 is Jordon-Gallinari-James-Rivers-Beverly with Williams off the bench. That's a better team than he currently has.

With Harrell, Dekker, Thornwell, Evans, and Wallace (especially Wallace) as young players on good contracts, the Clippers have a surprising number of trade assets.

The Spurs are unlikely to trade Leonard at all, but I don't think they want Fultz (they were one of the first teams to do personality and mental toughness testing). If the Sixers offered Covington, Saric, and first round picks, the Spurs would think about it.

That said, I think you could argue that the Clippers can put together a more interesting trade package. Gallinari + some of the above listed young players + both 2018 1st round picks would be similar value to the Sixers package without Fultz. Plus, we know Leonard probably wants to be in LA.

LET'S BE CLEAR: I DON'T NECESSARILY THINK THE CLIPPERS HAVE THE BEST PACKAGE, BUT THEY ARE IN THE RACE. At that point, having a guy like Jerry West might be enough to tip the balances in their favor. 

As long as we are letting our imagination run wild, imagine if West were able to orchestrate a double sign-and-trade to send Bradley+young players to the Thunder for George.

Here are the 3 trades:

Cavs receive Harris, Marjonavic, Johnson, and a future 1st
Clippers receive James

Spurs receive Gallinari, Wallace, Evans, 2 2018 1sts
Clippers receive Leonard

Thunder receive Bradley (sign and trade), Dekker, Harrell, future protected 1st
Clippers receive George (sign and trade)

Clippers starting lineup:
C Jordan
PF James
SF Leonard
SG George
PG Beverly
Bench: Williams, Rivers, Teodosic, Williams, ring-chasing vets.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 11:12:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Lebron won't even meet with the Clippers.  Not an option for him at all given his relationship with Chris Paul and all that he has heard about the Clippers organization.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 11:15:13 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
This is an interesting idea that got me thinking: What if the Lakers are not the main LA destination for Lebron-Leonard?

I mean, it won't be easy to make it happen, but it also isn't impossible.

For instance, if the Cavs know that Lebron is leaving anyway, they would surely accept an offer to get Harris + salary filler + a protected 1st, right? I mean, that's not fair value for Lebron, but if Lebron says, "I'm gonna opt out and sign elsewhere unless you trade me to the Clippers," then they would take the value they could get instead of losing him for nothing.

At that points, the Clippers starting 5 is Jordon-Gallinari-James-Rivers-Beverly with Williams off the bench. That's a better team than he currently has.

With Harrell, Dekker, Thornwell, Evans, and Wallace (especially Wallace) as young players on good contracts, the Clippers have a surprising number of trade assets.

The Spurs are unlikely to trade Leonard at all, but I don't think they want Fultz (they were one of the first teams to do personality and mental toughness testing). If the Sixers offered Covington, Saric, and first round picks, the Spurs would think about it.

That said, I think you could argue that the Clippers can put together a more interesting trade package. Gallinari + some of the above listed young players + both 2018 1st round picks would be similar value to the Sixers package without Fultz. Plus, we know Leonard probably wants to be in LA.

LET'S BE CLEAR: I DON'T NECESSARILY THINK THE CLIPPERS HAVE THE BEST PACKAGE, BUT THEY ARE IN THE RACE. At that point, having a guy like Jerry West might be enough to tip the balances in their favor. 

As long as we are letting our imagination run wild, imagine if West were able to orchestrate a double sign-and-trade to send Bradley+young players to the Thunder for George.

Here are the 3 trades:

Cavs receive Harris, Marjonavic, Johnson, and a future 1st
Clippers receive James

Spurs receive Gallinari, Wallace, Evans, 2 2018 1sts
Clippers receive Leonard

Thunder receive Bradley (sign and trade), Dekker, Harrell, future protected 1st
Clippers receive George (sign and trade)

Clippers starting lineup:
C Jordan
PF James
SF Leonard
SG George
PG Beverly
Bench: Williams, Rivers, Teodosic, Williams, ring-chasing vets.

TP for the impossible dream scenario lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 11:18:25 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The optimal coach for LeBron is LeBron :P

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 11:19:02 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Lebron won't even meet with the Clippers.  Not an option for him at all given his relationship with Chris Paul and all that he has heard about the Clippers organization.

So, this point makes some sense, I guess. Even though they no longer have Donald Sterling, and they've got a desirable coach in Rivers, maybe trading away CP3 was a cardinal sin in Lebron's eyes.

On the other hand, if he wants to go to LA (where he has two houses, from what I hear), are the Lakers that much better than the Clippers? I guess the Lakers have cap space, but they've got a young and inexperienced coach in Walton. And even though they've got some young talent, I can't imagine Lebron would consent to play with the Ball family drama as a distraction.

Let's put it this way: if Houston is a possibility, there's no reason to think LAC isn't a possibility.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 11:19:40 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

But those two lottery picks are something. It's not like we are talking the 27th and 28th picks. They could probably use one of those picks along with 8 to move up to 5 or 6 and get who they really want.

Also, Gallinari isn't going anywhere, but Harris and Rivers (he should opt in) would be a good starting point with salary (~$27.5M) and they are both expiring. It's not as far-fetched as one would think, but Lebron would specifically have to want to go to LA - and not the Lakers. If they could re-sign Jordan and Bradley, while holding on to Milos, Boban, Johnson, Beverley, Harrell, and Lou, it wouldn't be that horrible...well, it wouldn't be that great, but it wouldn't be *HORRIBLE*.

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 12:11:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
As much as I hope he doesn’t come here, the best coach for Lebron is Brad Stevens. The scary part is he would make Lebron better, and extend his career.

Doc would just be a glorified Ty Lue. He’d let Lebron do whatever he wants and would ride him into the ground like he did with all his vets in LA

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I remember back when Doc coached the big three posters considered him "the greatest of all time." Funny how so much things can change with just a little time.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 12:28:40 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I remember back when Doc coached the big three posters considered him "the greatest of all time." Funny how so much things can change with just a little time.

Yeah I don't know if I have ever seen those posts.. and let's be honest greatest of all time is a pretty notorious statement to make even with just one championship..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 02:21:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

So, this point makes some sense, I guess. Even though they no longer have Donald Sterling, and they've got a desirable coach in Rivers, maybe trading away CP3 was a cardinal sin in Lebron's eyes.

On the other hand, if he wants to go to LA (where he has two houses, from what I hear), are the Lakers that much better than the Clippers? I guess the Lakers have cap space, but they've got a young and inexperienced coach in Walton. And even though they've got some young talent, I can't imagine Lebron would consent to play with the Ball family drama as a distraction.

Let's put it this way: if Houston is a possibility, there's no reason to think LAC isn't a possibility.
Chris Paul hated playing for Doc Rivers.  It is why he left.  There is no way James goes to the Clippers with Doc as the coach.  None at all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip