Author Topic: How confident are you that Irving will eventually sign an extension?  (Read 3993 times)

Re: How confident are you that Irving will eventually sign an extension?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 02:48:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Kyrie has his sights on the NYK,s. I would consider moving him for Kanter,Trey Burke and this years #9.  Pick the best big available at 9 and  a guard like Kyrie Thomas. This still leaves us with Rozier,Smart ,Burkes at guard ,all of our 2019 picks and future cap space ,without maxing out Irving.leaves room to  later sign Tatum,Brown etc. Kanter gives us decisions on Baynes,Morris and all the rest of the bigs. Keep AH,Theis. wings are Brown ,Tatum and Hayward.
That is an absolutely horrendous return for Kyrie. You can't be serious
and yet it's similar to what we gave up to get him (8 pick)

i don't want to trade him though
As well as a guy coming off a top-5 MVP season, and our starting small forward, both of which who had been to the ECF. So not really similar
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think Kyrie has his sights on the NYK,s. I would consider moving him for Kanter,Trey Burke and this years #9.  Pick the best big available at 9 and  a guard like Kyrie Thomas. This still leaves us with Rozier,Smart ,Burkes at guard ,all of our 2019 picks and future cap space ,without maxing out Irving.leaves room to  later sign Tatum,Brown etc. Kanter gives us decisions on Baynes,Morris and all the rest of the bigs. Keep AH,Theis. wings are Brown ,Tatum and Hayward.
That is an absolutely horrendous return for Kyrie. You can't be serious
and yet it's similar to what we gave up to get him (8 pick)

i don't want to trade him though
As well as a guy coming off a top-5 MVP season, and our starting small forward, both of which who had been to the ECF. So not really similar
yeah that is a bad trade, but Kanter is better than Crowder and frankly Trey Burke might be as well.  Crowder may have started in Boston, but he is a back-up level of player (he came off the bench in Utah).  obviously that package lacks someone like Thomas and at the time the 8th pick certainly could have been much higher so it had way more value than the 9th pick (in a weaker draft no less).    That seems like what would go to Cleveland in a sign and trade for Lebron, not what would be traded straight up for Irving.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 09:07:10 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
There is a subtle difference here, right? 

1.  Kyrie could sign an "extension" before becoming an UFA but with certain restrictions on the amount of the raise and number of years (I am not certain of the details here).  I don't think he is going to sign an actual extension.

2.  He could become a UFA at the end of this season by opting out and signing a new contract for 2019-20 and beyond (this isn't technically the same as an extension I don't think).

3.  He could play out his current contract for two more seasons by picking up his option for 2019-20, then becoming an UFA and signing a new contact for 2020-21 and beyond.

So taking the question literally, "will he sign an extension?", I think that is unlikely.  Will he resign with Boston after becoming an UFA, is probably the real question and I think the odds are pretty good on that.  The longer he waits to do the extension or new contract, the more he can get with that contract as the amount for max deals go up as the salary cap goes up.  I also think the amount of the allowable extension goes up also but I am less clear on those details.

getting too technical here

you know what I mean.

Maybe, but it's also a good, detailed answer. I wish we had more of those.

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 09:20:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
95% assuming the C's offer the max to him with player option and all the typical goodies in it (like we did to Hayward/Horford)

5% is mostly if we trade for LBJ or something goes wrong this season whether with his knee or the team overall.