Poll

if we could only sign one of these guys with the mid level exception, who would you prefer?

Dewayne Dedmon
4 (8.7%)
Nerlens Noel
4 (8.7%)
Trevor Booker
1 (2.2%)
Brook Lopez
6 (13%)
Tyreke Evans
12 (26.1%)
JJ Redick
6 (13%)
Rajon Rondo
4 (8.7%)
Wayne Ellington
0 (0%)
Michael Beasley
1 (2.2%)
Derrick Favors
8 (17.4%)
Fred Van Fleet
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Favorite MLE Candiate?  (Read 5905 times)

Re: Favorite MLE Candiate?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2018, 02:47:02 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
We will be foregoing the MLE this year.  People should not get their hopes up.
Even the tax payer MLE? To avoid the hard cap

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2018, 02:49:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yes.  I give a lengthier explanation elsewhere in the thread.

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

saltlover, I'm pretty sure you mentioned this before, how do you know so much about CBA rules? Is your occupation related to that particular field, or is this just a heavy dose of research/studying?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

saltlover, I'm pretty sure you mentioned this before, how do you know so much about CBA rules? Is your occupation related to that particular field, or is this just a heavy dose of research/studying?

Obsession is a dangerous drug.  I gave it up for three months, but obviously I could only last so long.

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 03:58:11 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

what makes you say that?

I think Marcus Smart will be deemed more important than any player signable via the MLE, and because we have to leave salary space to match an offer sheet, we will miss out on the MLE market (however, doing so will likely bring down Smart’s price to something that provides better value).

The only player to think about is Nerlens, because no team should give him any kind of money resembling the MLE, and he may be willing to take 1-year at the minimum to prove his value with the right situation.  It’s not impossible to believe Boston could be that situation, given their history of raising the value of other players in the past, and Nerlens’ Boston roots.

So everyone was banking on us using the Mid-level to re-sign Baynes..

How does he fit in to the picture?

He doesn’t unless the team finds out about Smart very quickly.  And even then I’m not sure he does.

I know people like Baynes, but his best role seems to be as a starter playing reserve minutes.  But I find it tough to believe that (without a major trade) the starting lineup won’t be Irving-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Horford, which relegates Baynes to a bench role that doesn’t necessarily fit what we need from him.  Assuming we keep Smart and make no trades, the primary reserves are Smart, Rozier, Morris, and Theis.  That’s a solid 9-man rotation, with Ojeleye also deserving of regular minutes.  The MLE is a lot of money to spend on someone in the 8-10 spot of your rotation.  The rest of the minutes can be given to Yabusele and our 1st for developmental purposes, Bird and Nader can get Gino-time minutes, and that’s 14 guys right there.  That 15th spot either beings to someone on the minimum who gets a chance to earn his way into the back of the rotation (a la Larkin last year), or doesn’t get used as the team waits for the February buyout market.

If you want to keep Baynes, you need to hope that Ainge finds a new home for Morris, as that creates both the salary space and the room in the rotation.

With Hayward back (and a much stronger Tatum), I would reluctantly pull the trigger on a Morris deal in order to bring Baynes back. Embiid will be a BIG part of next year's playoffs.

Are you willing to send out a draft pick with Morris to make this happen?  There are very few teams that could absorb his contract, cheap tho it is.

Why would adding a pick change the salary situation?

I would think several teams would love him as a 5.4 mill 1 -year rental..

I’m sure there are several teams that would love him.  The problem is those teams don’t have the cap space to absorb his contract without sending salary back to us (which we don’t want since that’s the entire point of the deal). Literally half the league could be in the luxury tax next year — cap space for absorbing contracts will be at a huge premium.

Then why is it a huge problem that the Celtics go into the luxury tax, while so many other teams are doing it? Can you explain that?

In fact I believe maintaining our current roster would make us second favorite to win the title after GSW, without strange things happening in the league. We are a team that's in a position to afford the luxury tax. Why would we reduce our legit title chances right now by avoiding the luxury tax (to postpone a possible repeater tax) to possibly increase future title chances?

Seems weird to me. If you can avoid the luxury tax it's a nice bonus, but not a necessity to me. You can't resign Smart to just any number, but if those negotations work out reasonably then I just woul like to keep our following rotation:

Irving/Rozier/Larkin - Brown/Smart/Bird - Tatum/Hayward/Ojeleye - Horford/Morris/Yabusele - Baynes/Theis/'18 Boston 1st.

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 04:00:41 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Rondoooooooo

But only if we lose Smart  ::)

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 04:28:20 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

what makes you say that?

I think Marcus Smart will be deemed more important than any player signable via the MLE, and because we have to leave salary space to match an offer sheet, we will miss out on the MLE market (however, doing so will likely bring down Smart’s price to something that provides better value).

The only player to think about is Nerlens, because no team should give him any kind of money resembling the MLE, and he may be willing to take 1-year at the minimum to prove his value with the right situation.  It’s not impossible to believe Boston could be that situation, given their history of raising the value of other players in the past, and Nerlens’ Boston roots.

He doesn’t unless the team finds out about Smart very quickly.  And even then I’m not sure he does.

I know people like Baynes, but his best role seems to be as a starter playing reserve minutes.  But I find it tough to believe that (without a major trade) the starting lineup won’t be Irving-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Horford, which relegates Baynes to a bench role that doesn’t necessarily fit what we need from him.  Assuming we keep Smart and make no trades, the primary reserves are Smart, Rozier, Morris, and Theis.  That’s a solid 9-man rotation, with Ojeleye also deserving of regular minutes.  The MLE is a lot of money to spend on someone in the 8-10 spot of your rotation.  The rest of the minutes can be given to Yabusele and our 1st for developmental purposes, Bird and Nader can get Gino-time minutes, and that’s 14 guys right there.  That 15th spot either beings to someone on the minimum who gets a chance to earn his way into the back of the rotation (a la Larkin last year), or doesn’t get used as the team waits for the February buyout market.

If you want to keep Baynes, you need to hope that Ainge finds a new home for Morris, as that creates both the salary space and the room in the rotation.

With Hayward back (and a much stronger Tatum), I would reluctantly pull the trigger on a Morris deal in order to bring Baynes back. Embiid will be a BIG part of next year's playoffs.

Are you willing to send out a draft pick with Morris to make this happen?  There are very few teams that could absorb his contract, cheap tho it is.

Why would adding a pick change the salary situation?

I would think several teams would love him as a 5.4 mill 1 -year rental..

I’m sure there are several teams that would love him.  The problem is those teams don’t have the cap space to absorb his contract without sending salary back to us (which we don’t want since that’s the entire point of the deal).  Literally half the league could be in the luxury tax next year — cap space for absorbing contracts will be at a huge premium.

I think a team like Dallas that has cap space and probably wants to get back to winning ASAP could be a trade partner. 

Also I’m not so sure the MLE market will dry up that quickly before Smart is re-signed.  Usually the big guns are signed first followed by MLE guys so I think we’ll have time for both.

I could see if Rozier is used in a package to trade up in the draft, we back fill his spot signing Evans to the MLE.  Maybe we could re-sign Baynes with non bird rights and 20% increase in salary.  That may tip them over the tax though.  You know the numbers better than anyone here though.

Wouldn’t mind a flyer on Noel or Len rather than assets to trade up in the draft. It seems to me Ainge will have a healthy amount of options.

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2018, 04:28:31 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

what makes you say that?

Don't see why we can't re-sign Smart and use the MLE as well.

payroll in 2018-19

1. Hayward $31,214,295
2. Horford $28,928,710
3. Kyrie $20,099,189
4. Smart (let's say) $11,000,000
5. Tatum $6,700,800
6. Morris $5,375,000
7. Brown $5,169,960
8. Rozier $3,050,389
9. Yabu $2,667,600
10. Semi $1,378,242
11. Theis $1,378,242
12. #27 pick $1,640,400
13. Non-Taxpayer MLE $8,568,000
14. minimum salary $1,499,698
15. minimum salary $1,499,698
Jackson $92,857

SUM $130,263,080

The tax line is projected at approximately $120.8 million.

$130,263,080 - $120,800,000 = $9,463,080 over the tax line

For a non-repeater, it breaks down like this:

$7.5m for the first $5m over.
$8.75m for the next $5m.

$7,500,000 + $7,810,390 = $15,310,390 in luxury tax

That's no big deal (especially since the C's will be contending for the championship next season).

So the question is:
Assuming we don't use the MLE, can we avoid the tax altogether in 2018-2019 (in order to postpone the repeater tax for 1 year)? It's possible, but I don't think it's the most likely scenario. Basically, we 'd have to convince Smart to re-sign for ~MLE money (or trade Morris straight up for a pick?). I bet Smart can find better offers on the open market.

1. Hayward $31,214,295
2. Horford $28,928,710
3. Kyrie $20,099,189
4. Smart $8,600,000 (just a tad above the MLE)
5. Tatum $6,700,800
6. Morris $5,375,000
7. Brown $5,169,960
8. Rozier $3,050,389
9. Yabu $2,667,600
10. Semi $1,378,242
11. Theis $1,378,242
12. #27 pick $1,640,400
13. minimum salary $1,499,698
14. minimum salary $1,499,698
15. minimum salary $1,499,698
Jackson $92,857

SUM $120,794,778 < $120,800,000 (the tax line)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the MLE candidates:

(imo)
best player on the list is Reke
best fit is Ellington/Redick (don't think Redick is gonna be availble for the MLE though)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:51:41 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2018, 05:20:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Obsession is a dangerous drug.  I gave it up for three months, but obviously I could only last so long.

We'll call it Saltlover's Sabbatical ;) ;D.

what makes you say that?

Remind me as to why we'll be keeping both of those guys, again?

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2018, 01:23:46 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I like Dedmon the best out of all the options.

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 12:23:39 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Would Derrick Favors even take the MLE ?

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2018, 12:44:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Rondoooooooooo
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2018, 05:47:51 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Derrick Favors would be a bargain at MLE.
Will C's retain Baynes without the MLE?

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2018, 05:58:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Derrick Favors would be a bargain at MLE.
Will C's retain Baynes without the MLE?
I wish Favors was attainable for the MLE, but I don't think he is. I reckon on the right team (which I don't think Utah are for him) he could return to the guy he was pre-injury, and before the emergence of Gobert. He's really good at picking his spots offensively, so I could see him getting back to 15-16ppg with a change of scenery
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2018, 07:09:00 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I like Dedmon the best out of all the options.
Dedmon is interesting, and he might be a solid replacement for Baynes. But he’s also had injury problems in the past - he has four full seasons in the league, and played 58, 59, 76, and 62 games in the regular season. How much will he be available if the Cs go deep into the playoffs next year? Those 76 games in his 2016-17 season with the spurs is hopeful, but after this past year a spotty injury history worries me.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 07:15:29 AM by Sophomore »