Poll

if we could only sign one of these guys with the mid level exception, who would you prefer?

Dewayne Dedmon
4 (8.7%)
Nerlens Noel
4 (8.7%)
Trevor Booker
1 (2.2%)
Brook Lopez
6 (13%)
Tyreke Evans
12 (26.1%)
JJ Redick
6 (13%)
Rajon Rondo
4 (8.7%)
Wayne Ellington
0 (0%)
Michael Beasley
1 (2.2%)
Derrick Favors
8 (17.4%)
Fred Van Fleet
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Favorite MLE Candiate?  (Read 5898 times)

Re: Favorite MLE Candiate?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Aron Baynes
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
We will be foregoing the MLE this year.  People should not get their hopes up.

what makes you say that?

I think Marcus Smart will be deemed more important than any player signable via the MLE, and because we have to leave salary space to match an offer sheet, we will miss out on the MLE market (however, doing so will likely bring down Smart’s price to something that provides better value).

The only player to think about is Nerlens, because no team should give him any kind of money resembling the MLE, and he may be willing to take 1-year at the minimum to prove his value with the right situation.  It’s not impossible to believe Boston could be that situation, given their history of raising the value of other players in the past, and Nerlens’ Boston roots.

So everyone was banking on us using the Mid-level to re-sign Baynes..

How does he fit in to the picture?

He doesn’t unless the team finds out about Smart very quickly.  And even then I’m not sure he does.

I know people like Baynes, but his best role seems to be as a starter playing reserve minutes.  But I find it tough to believe that (without a major trade) the starting lineup won’t be Irving-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Horford, which relegates Baynes to a bench role that doesn’t necessarily fit what we need from him.  Assuming we keep Smart and make no trades, the primary reserves are Smart, Rozier, Morris, and Theis.  That’s a solid 9-man rotation, with Ojeleye also deserving of regular minutes.  The MLE is a lot of money to spend on someone in the 8-10 spot of your rotation.  The rest of the minutes can be given to Yabusele and our 1st for developmental purposes, Bird and Nader can get Gino-time minutes, and that’s 14 guys right there.  That 15th spot either beings to someone on the minimum who gets a chance to earn his way into the back of the rotation (a la Larkin last year), or doesn’t get used as the team waits for the February buyout market.

If you want to keep Baynes, you need to hope that Ainge finds a new home for Morris, as that creates both the salary space and the room in the rotation.

With Hayward back (and a much stronger Tatum), I would reluctantly pull the trigger on a Morris deal in order to bring Baynes back. Embiid will be a BIG part of next year's playoffs.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 11:23:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

what makes you say that?

I think Marcus Smart will be deemed more important than any player signable via the MLE, and because we have to leave salary space to match an offer sheet, we will miss out on the MLE market (however, doing so will likely bring down Smart’s price to something that provides better value).

The only player to think about is Nerlens, because no team should give him any kind of money resembling the MLE, and he may be willing to take 1-year at the minimum to prove his value with the right situation.  It’s not impossible to believe Boston could be that situation, given their history of raising the value of other players in the past, and Nerlens’ Boston roots.

He doesn’t unless the team finds out about Smart very quickly.  And even then I’m not sure he does.

I know people like Baynes, but his best role seems to be as a starter playing reserve minutes.  But I find it tough to believe that (without a major trade) the starting lineup won’t be Irving-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Horford, which relegates Baynes to a bench role that doesn’t necessarily fit what we need from him.  Assuming we keep Smart and make no trades, the primary reserves are Smart, Rozier, Morris, and Theis.  That’s a solid 9-man rotation, with Ojeleye also deserving of regular minutes.  The MLE is a lot of money to spend on someone in the 8-10 spot of your rotation.  The rest of the minutes can be given to Yabusele and our 1st for developmental purposes, Bird and Nader can get Gino-time minutes, and that’s 14 guys right there.  That 15th spot either beings to someone on the minimum who gets a chance to earn his way into the back of the rotation (a la Larkin last year), or doesn’t get used as the team waits for the February buyout market.

If you want to keep Baynes, you need to hope that Ainge finds a new home for Morris, as that creates both the salary space and the room in the rotation.

With Hayward back (and a much stronger Tatum), I would reluctantly pull the trigger on a Morris deal in order to bring Baynes back. Embiid will be a BIG part of next year's playoffs.

Are you willing to send out a draft pick with Morris to make this happen?  There are very few teams that could absorb his contract, cheap tho it is.

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

what makes you say that?

Are you willing to send out a draft pick with Morris to make this happen?  There are very few teams that could absorb his contract, cheap tho it is.

I feel like the Magic would be willing to send a 2nd rounder for Morris and absorb their contract.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 11:29:53 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think the focus needs to be on a big.  Right now, our "big" rotation is pretty up in the air:

Under Contract actual bigs:
Horford
Theis

Under Contract "but":
Morris (kind of a swing)
Ojeleye (still developing)
Yabusele (still developing)
Tatum (I don't see him as a regular big)

So really all we have is Horford and Theis with Morris.  I don't think we can count on Ojeleye and Yabusele for regular rotation minutes, certainly not for a playoff run.  Horford is a legit starter.  Theis and Morris are probably better off the bench.  We need a starting level big added.  I don't think Tatum is a starting level big.  I like Baynes, we could get by with him.  Favors may be a good fit but I don't see us having the money to match what he will command.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:53:07 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

what makes you say that?

I feel like the Magic would be willing to send a 2nd rounder for Morris and absorb their contract.

Depends what direction the Magic want to go this year, but I wouldn’t count on that trade.

The name, in addition to Nerlens, that people should look at for a short deal to build value is Alex Len.  I’m not sure what market he’s going to see.

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 11:31:14 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

what makes you say that?

Why would adding a pick change the salary situation?

I would think several teams would love him as a 5.4 mill 1 -year rental..

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 11:33:48 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

what makes you say that?

Depends what direction the Magic want to go this year, but I wouldn’t count on that trade.

The name, in addition to Nerlens, that people should look at for a short deal to build value is Alex Len.

I've been advocating Len for 2 years now. Great value. Still developing.

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 11:34:19 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

what makes you say that?

Why would adding a pick change the salary situation?

I would think several teams would love him as a 5.4 mill 1 -year rental..

I’m sure there are several teams that would love him.  The problem is those teams don’t have the cap space to absorb his contract without sending salary back to us (which we don’t want since that’s the entire point of the deal).  Literally half the league could be in the luxury tax next year — cap space for absorbing contracts will be at a huge premium.

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 11:40:10 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

what makes you say that?

The name, in addition to Nerlens, that people should look at for a short deal to build value is Alex Len.

I've been advocating Len for 2 years now. Great value. Still developing.

Same here, they keep wasting his talents.. TP to ya!
Len had one of his better games of the season with 19 points, 12 rebounds and three blocked shots. It was Len’s 10th double-double of the season, giving him at least 10 double-doubles each of the past four years.

The last Suns player to have at least 10 double-doubles in four straight seasons was Steve Nash, who did it a slightly different way from 2004-12.

“I felt good. Teammates were finding me,” Len said.

The game is a reminder of what Phoenix thought Len could be when it made him the fifth overall pick in the 2013 draft. But as the season comes to a close and Len heads into the summer as an unrestricted free agent, it’s clear that after five mostly unfulfilling years, Len will be with a different team in 2018-19.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 12:01:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
where's the option for Baynes since the MLE is likely the only option we have for resigning him?   considering what he brings consistantly - tough post defense and rebounding - not to mention a newly found 3 point shot, he'd be worth it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 12:17:51 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 12:13:52 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Aron Baynes

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 12:20:52 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Dewayne Dedmon is the best realistic player in this list (Redick isn't taking MLE). If you thought Monroe was bad, Brook Lopez would get even less minutes on our team. Waste of a roster slot.

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 12:25:31 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I've been a fan of Noel for a long time.  He's my vote.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Dewayne Dedmon is the best realistic player in this list (Redick isn't taking MLE). If you thought Monroe was bad, Brook Lopez would get even less minutes on our team. Waste of a roster slot.

Monroe and Lopez are not remotely close offensively.