Poll

Who is the better player?

Steph Curry
27 (79.4%)
Chris Paul
7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Curry or Paul  (Read 3443 times)

Curry or Paul
« on: June 07, 2018, 01:19:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
After a recent discussion, I was prompted to make this poll! I'm curious to see if everyone, or anyone, will argue so fervently for Chris Paul being better than Steph Curry right now
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:27:28 AM by gouki88 »
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Curry or Paul
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 01:25:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Curry is better right now but if CP3 was still in his prime he'd have an argument. He never had really gaudy scoring stats but don't forget his assists and defense. He was as complete as PGs come and although Steph is the greatest flamethrower I've ever seen, I don't think I can say he's certainly better than CP3.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 01:26:20 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Curry is better right now but if CP3 was still in his prime he'd have an argument. He never had really gaudy scoring stats but don't forget his assists and defense. He was as complete as PGs come and although Steph is the greatest flamethrower I've ever seen, I don't think I can say he's certainly better than CP3.
Yeah, I agree. But I was told that CP3 is currently better, hence the disagreement.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 01:33:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

CP3 is better. His defense on Durant is a telling sign of how good he is defensively

Not that he stopped Durant completely but held his own vs a guy that is 9 inches taller + 50 pounds heavier

Curry has how many of these no show playoff games now? How many no shows do you remember from Paul?

Switch Curry with Paul in that wcf and Rockets(Curry) prob lose in 5 vs Rockets(Paul) had Gsw on the ropes. Too bad he got injured

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 01:37:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Yeah, I agree. But I was told that CP3 is currently better, hence the disagreement.

Tell me..in a playoff game last shot of the game situation(s)...who would you want to bring up the ball to take/make a tough shot (iso). Paul or Curry?

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 01:46:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Tell me..in a playoff game last shot of the game situation...who would you want bringing up the ball and getting you a tough iso bucket. Paul or Curry?
Seriously? Curry without question. He's won 2 rings, including dropping 34/10/6/3 in game 5 of last years Finals, and 25/8/6/3 in game 6 of 2015.

This was the first time Chris Paul has ever made it further than the Western Semis, and he's not even the best player on the team

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 01:55:20 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Four straight NBA finals appearances, made 9 three-pointers setting an all-time record in the NBA Finals, 2x NBA MVP, 2x NBA champion...yep.

Chris Paul? Multiple first/second-round exits, first time advancing to Western Conference Finals and lose in 7 games with home-court advantage, and begged to move teams twice (New Orleans, Los Angeles Clippers).

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 01:58:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Four straight NBA finals appearances, made 9 three-pointers setting an all-time record in the NBA Finals, 2x NBA MVP, 2x NBA champion...yep.

Chris Paul? Multiple first/second-round exits, first time advancing to Western Conference Finals and lose in 7 games with home-court advantage, and begged to move teams twice (New Orleans, Los Angeles Clippers).
Precisely. TP

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 02:00:03 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Steph, no contest for me.
I don't believe that CP3 is even eligible for this duel.
How much is the regular season star worth comparing to multiple regular season MVPs and a dynamo on 2(3) champ teams?
CP3 is the professor of basketball, but his small and fragile body never could hold up against the full-grown men NBA bodies. We have a decade-long sample size of his unavailability or playing under some physical restrictions, mostly in the playoffs.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 08:52:30 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Precisely. TP

Arguments about playoff history are really, really unconvincing. Are you telling me that if Curry and Paul switched teams 2014-17, the Clippers would have been going to the Finals while the Warriors watched from home? I don't think so. Heck, this year, when the team talent was about equal, if Paul didn't hurt his hamstring the Rockets would have beaten the Warriors.

To me, these two players are roughly equal. Curry is a better shooter (obviously) while Paul is a still very good shooter, and a much better and more versatile defender. Either is capable of a game where he puts a team on his back deep in the playoffs. And Curry is definitely capable of a real dud game - like last night.

Also - someone above faulted CP3 for being too fragile. Not sure how that works when you're comparing him to Steph Curry. Curry has had injuries that took him out for long stretches of the playoffs, and affected his performance when he got back.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:00:59 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Precisely. TP

Arguments about playoff history are really, really unconvincing. Are you telling me that if Curry and Paul switched teams 2014-17, the Clippers would have been going to the Finals while the Warriors watched from home? I don't think so. Heck, this year, when the team talent was about equal, if Paul didn't hurt his hamstring the Rockets would have beaten the Warriors.

To me, these two players are roughly equal. Curry is a better shooter (obviously) while Paul is a still very good shooter, and a much better and more versatile defender. Either is capable of a game where he puts a team on his back deep in the playoffs. And Curry is definitely capable of a real dud game - like last night.

Also - someone above faulted CP3 for being too fragile. Not sure how that works when you're comparing him to Steph Curry. Curry has had injuries that took him out for long stretches of the playoffs, and affected his performance when he got back.
That's all well and good, but I don't know how it can be argued that Paul is currently better than Curry.

Even if we're talking primes, if you put that 30ppg Curry on the 13-14 LAC team I see them beating OKC definitely. Paul simply isn't a dynamic enough scorer.

I also don't know whether Houston definitely wins if Paul is healthy. I would've been rooting for them, but it still would've been tight

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 09:16:18 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Precisely. TP

It is easy to explain and understand;
CP3 has finished relatively healthy twice in the last 8 years of playoffs.
Up until this year, he couldn't stay healthy for 2 rounds his entire career, let alone the obligatory 4 that eventual champ has to perform. On the other hand, Curry did that 4 years in a row and counting. Not 100%, but game ready, in his jersey and on the floor. Not in a suit, and on the bench. CP clearly showed us that he can't play 3 let alone 4 straight series, and let alone consecutive years in a row.

Once you get to this level of talent - The availability is the best ability.

And if both are healthy: Curry is 1st unanimous MVP, CP is not.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:22:00 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 09:17:38 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Right now its Curry..Paul is getting old and body dont holding up
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 09:23:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Precisely. TP

Exactly. Well written

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 09:40:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Precisely. TP

I think you can make a pretty compelling argument that the Warriors are nowhere near as good with Paul instead of Curry.  Paul's iso heavy ball dominance just wouldn't work that well on the Warriors.  His slower and worse shooting, would also bog down that entire offense.  Now he is a better defender, but not nearly enough to make up for the much less efficient and deadly offense.  Now do I think the Clippers with Curry instead of Paul are winning titles, probably not, but I do think they would have made the WCF at least once in that timeframe, because Curry is just so good shooting the ball he can make up for a lot of the Clippers other deficiencies. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip