Poll

Can we be a legit contender for 5 years with Horford as our main big?

Yes
On the fence
No

Author Topic: Can we be a legit contender for 5 years with Horford as our main big?  (Read 841 times)

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
What I’m getting at is these rumors/ideas with many being a Rozier/Kings pick combo to get us in the lottery to draft a big guy got me really thinking about this.

Let me first confess I did in the past think the elephant in the room was Horford’s age when considering long term contention status.  He has been our anchor the last 2 seasons, and we may barely make the playoffs without him.  He just turned 32.

However we haven’t seen our whole team together yet.  We are loaded with ball handlers and wings, and if that remains for the foreseeable future it makes finding a Horford replacement less worrisome for me. 

As long as Horford remains a good defender into his 2nd contract, and we surround him with MLE signings like Baynes, and crafty finds like Theis I’m feeling ok with our big situation for roughly the next 5 years.  Also with Tatum looking like he will be playing more PF the heavy burden of minutes for Horford will lessen.

Also doing a Rozier/Kings pick for Bamba like trade might make us worse for next year, and next year’s Kings pick could be just as good for what we trade up for this year (some talented wings at the top of the draft, Zion Williamson ect. 

I can see where into his second contract Horford is playing 20 to 25 minutes, and Ainge strengthing our bigs through crafty transactions, and not a splashy move.

So long story short I convinced myself to say yes. Ha

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think so. The true contenders in the league right now don't have dominant big men (unless you count Philly as a contender somehow). I trust DA to manage it right
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
For the next 2-3 years, yes. Years 4 and 5, when Horford would be 35 and 36 years old, get tough.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Time to begin grooming the next guy. Nerlens Noel is worth a shot.
Then go draft the guy when we get the lotto picks.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He seems like a bit of a headcase at this stage. If we could keep him locked in he’d be awesome
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Of course. 

I’d expect a 35-year-old Horford to still be better than anybody this GS team has trotted out at center during its run.  Hasn’t stopped them.

I also think it’s reasonable to hope that Ainge can leverage the rest of our picks to find a decent big who can carry the torch when Al slows down. 

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Stay away from NN. Stay far, far, away.

Horford's game is catered to allow him to still be highly productive as he ages. He has a Tim Duncan(very lite)esque presence to him. He doesn't need his athleticism to allow him to succeed. He's smart, he's crafty, he has great timing, he is a great initiator on offense and he spreads the floor. He'll be productive for many more years. Not max contract level productive but he'll continue to be efficient as he ages.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Is this a serious question.  Al is an all star that played great during the playoffs and a primary reason we got as far as we got.  Now, at age 32 five years is a long time but he isn’t signed for that long either.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Stay away from NN. Stay far, far, away.

Horford's game is catered to allow him to still be highly productive as he ages. He has a Tim Duncan(very lite)esque presence to him. He doesn't need his athleticism to allow him to succeed. He's smart, he's crafty, he has great timing, he is a great initiator on offense and he spreads the floor. He'll be productive for many more years. Not max contract level productive but he'll continue to be efficient as he ages.

This is something I’m actually a little worried about. Al is a key to the Cs elite defense. His ability to do well when switched onto wings or guards, or to stunt and show and play a little center field,  was really important. How is an Al who’s lost a step and a few inches off his leap going to do? 

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
For another 3-4 years definitely. He's got the body and conditioning for it.