Poll

Do we really want to add Lebron next season?

NO
31 (50.8%)
Yes
16 (26.2%)
Depends on the price
14 (23%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Just Say No  (Read 3502 times)

Re: Just Say No
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2018, 06:01:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not going to happen and I don't want it to happen. This would be like signing Barry Bonds in the early 2000s when he had a 1.400 OPS in a bid to finally beat the Yankees. I'd rather take my chances with three all-stars, two budding superstars and a deep bench and see what happens.

Well, we signed Manny.  Does that lessen your enjoyment of the titles?

You know and I know that's not an apples to apples comparison. But yes, in some small way, it does lessen it.

It’s pretty close to apples. Bonds was better, but both were offensive savants who were paid tons of money to cheat.

I loved that 2003 team, and I cherish the 2004 title. 

Any titles earned by Lebron in green would be pretty sweet.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2018, 06:02:24 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
I want the C's to beat him. If he did dawn the green, people would get over it pretty quickly though. Team would be incredible: perfect mix of youth, experience, and coaching.

(no chance in hell this it happens)

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2018, 07:35:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This would be like signing Barry Bonds in the early 2000s when he had a 1.400 OPS in a bid to finally beat the Yankees.

We know Bond used PEDs and many think that Lebron has as well, did you mean to make that analogy?

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 07:51:59 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I don't see us winning vs the warriors unless Davis or LeBron come here.

Celtics nearly beat Steph Curry's 49 points and the Warriors at Oracle Arena this year without Gordon Hayward.

So yes I see us beating GSW in a 7-game series with a complete healthy roster.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 07:54:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Obviously this is just my own opinion, but I would rather the Celtics not win any titles over the next ~5 years without LeBron, than win with LeBron.

And that has nothing to do with liking or disliking him.  I'd just rather us beat him, plain and simple.

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 08:50:11 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Obviously this is just my own opinion, but I would rather the Celtics not win any titles over the next ~5 years without LeBron, than win with LeBron.

And that has nothing to do with liking or disliking him.  I'd just rather us beat him, plain and simple.

Couldn't agree more.

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 09:13:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Couldn't agree more.

That's crazy to me.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 09:30:16 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Is the reason, "you don't want him because you want to beat him" a petty one?

Its more petty when you're desperate for help that you would even seek a help from the enemy. I have pride in competition. I hope some people here have the same sentiment.

NBA maybe a business. But people forget that its also a competitive sport.

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2018, 09:39:03 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
don't act like you wouldn't trade Hayward for LeBron in a millisecond if you could.

And Kyrie would go where?

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2018, 09:45:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Its more petty when you're desperate for help that you would even seek a help from the enemy. I have pride in competition. I hope some people here have the same sentiment.

The point is about being competitive. Competitive against the stacked Warriors. I could careless about beating LeBron and a bunch of cronies. It's about winning it all against an all time great team.

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2018, 09:46:38 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

The point is about being competitive. Competitive against the stacked Warriors. I could careless about beating LeBron and a bunch of cronies. It's about winning it all against an all time great team.

Warriors are beatable even without Lebron. Don't fall into hype. Celtics matched up well with them even without Hayward and they were so close this year. So was the Rockets

There's a difference on winning with your own sweat than letting someone carry you and claim all the glory you should have.

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2018, 10:05:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Warriors are beatable even without Lebron. Don't fall into hype. Celtics matched up well with them even without Hayward and they were so close this year. So was the Rockets

There's a difference on winning with your own sweat than letting someone carry you and claim all the glory you should have.

What constitutes “your own sweat”?

Would Durant have counted? Do Horford and Hayward? Kyrie? Why or why not?

I remember the same argument that winning a title with Big Al would be more satisfying than trading for hired guns like KG and Allen. Does anybody still feel that way?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2018, 10:10:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Warriors are the new 90's Bulls. No one has a real shot once they turn it on.

And it's LeBron turning in his crown to join Celtic Nation. Not this team letting him carry the team. It's always been about sacrifice with this franchise. Lebron seems much more ready for that now in his career.

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2018, 10:11:56 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I don't see us winning vs the warriors unless Davis or LeBron come here.

Celtics nearly beat Steph Curry's 49 points and the Warriors at Oracle Arena this year without Gordon Hayward.

So yes I see us beating GSW in a 7-game series with a complete healthy roster.
Dont even need that, we can have gentleman swept them if we advance this year, we are a much better matchup against them.

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2018, 10:23:11 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

Warriors are the new 90's Bulls. No one has a real shot once they turn it on.

And it's LeBron turning in his crown to join Celtic Nation. Not this team letting him carry the team. It's always been about sacrifice with this franchise. Lebron seems much more ready for that now in his career.

Warriors ain't no Bulls, I don't buy that. The dominant 1995-98 Bulls never went into a game 7. Warriors were lucky Kawhi and CP3 went down because these two guys gave them a hell of a series (or would have in Kawhi's case)

Not to mention the age factor. Curry is already 30 and Iggy is on slowly but steady decline.  Who's to say they will be healthy for a long stretch?