Author Topic: I notice a lot of hatred for Paul Pierce outside of New England..but why?  (Read 5368 times)

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
That's part of being underrated, though. It's hard to believe every year Pierce was in the league he was never worthy of a first team all NBA selection.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I mean he was annually going up against Duncan, Lebron, KG, Nowitzki  year after year. Thats good company to be around.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
When your best season you finish 11th in MVP voting (he did finish 7th in 08-09 but his numbers were much weaker then and that seemed to be more voting for a Celtic then voting for Pierce), I have hard time saying you had a truly great season.  That is why Pierce isn't underrated.  He is going to make the HOF on the 1st ballot without ever being on the 1st Team All NBA.  That is impressive.

If you make the HOF 1st ballot without ever being on 1st Team All NBA, isn't that basically the definition of having been "underrated"?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
When your best season you finish 11th in MVP voting (he did finish 7th in 08-09 but his numbers were much weaker then and that seemed to be more voting for a Celtic then voting for Pierce), I have hard time saying you had a truly great season.  That is why Pierce isn't underrated.  He is going to make the HOF on the 1st ballot without ever being on the 1st Team All NBA.  That is impressive.

If you make the HOF 1st ballot without ever being on 1st Team All NBA, isn't that basically the definition of having been "underrated"?
Nope.  Lots of players have had that happen, including Ray Allen this past season.  It doesn't mean they are underrated at all.  It means, they are properly rated as having great long careers, but never being persons of that truly special caliber.  Pierce was a great player.  No one ever claims he isn't.  But claiming he is underrated because people don't recognize him with the all time greats, is just silly nonsense, because Pierce was not one of those guys.  His career accolades, or lack thereof, pretty clearly show that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

Nope.  Lots of players have had that happen, including Ray Allen this past season.  It doesn't mean they are underrated at all.  It means, they are properly rated as having great long careers, but never being persons of that truly special caliber.  Pierce was a great player.  No one ever claims he isn't.  But claiming he is underrated because people don't recognize him with the all time greats, is just silly nonsense, because Pierce was not one of those guys.  His career accolades, or lack thereof, pretty clearly show that.

Whatever you say, chief.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team