Author Topic: I notice a lot of hatred for Paul Pierce outside of New England..but why?  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I haven't seen too much Pierce hate in either SW or NE Ohio (except of course when the C's and Cavs were playing).

I live in New York right now and spent some time in Los Angeles a few years ago. Talking to basketball fans there and here I've never heard much hate for him other than people blame him for the wheelchair thing, which I don't get but have absolutely heard a number of times.

I don't know what the reception has been like for him as an analyst but I haven't experienced the kind of hate the OP is talking about.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Pierce comes off as a very sarcastic person who seems to love trolling and talking trash. That tends to rub people off the wrong way.

The trash talking after nailing daggers in player's eyes, bandage game of press conference of Game 6 vs Pacers, the wheelchair incident, arguing with coaches, being immature when he was younger.
That’s why I love him!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
He was the best player on the 2002 World Championship team that finished 6th. He kind of became the face of Team USA's lowest point... after George Karl, that is.

Maybe that has something to do with it. He came across as a trash talker who thought he was a superstar and couldn't even lead a team of NBA players to a medal against, frankly, inferior competition.

And he never won anything in the NBA when he was the best player on his team.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Pierce wasn't as athletic or as flashy as Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter or Allen Iverson so he was deemed a step below them. Pierce didn't get on sportscenter with incredible dunks or fancy cross-over dribble moves. He didn't get the publicity that those other guys got. Pierce was stuck in their shadow.

Then in later years Pierce was in the shadow of guys like LeBron, Wade, Melo and Durant. Those were the guys with the flashy plays. The guys on sportscenter's top 10. The guys getting the advertisements. The ones being talked about.

Pierce was always in the shadow of other players and his quality as a player wasn't well known because of it.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Pierce wasn't as athletic or as flashy as Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter or Allen Iverson so he was deemed a step below them. Pierce didn't get on sportscenter with incredible dunks or fancy cross-over dribble moves. He didn't get the publicity that those other guys got. Pierce was stuck in their shadow.

Then in later years Pierce was in the shadow of guys like LeBron, Wade, Melo and Durant. Those were the guys with the flashy plays. The guys on sportscenter's top 10. The guys getting the advertisements. The ones being talked about.

Pierce was always in the shadow of other players and his quality as a player wasn't well known because of it.

Just like the Spurs who were old and boring, but still won championships when it mattered. Until the era of superteams started forming (2010?).

Off-topic from Pierce, but relatable in a way  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Pierce had a very nice career, but he made just 1 2nd Team All NBA and 3 3rd Team All NBA.  He never finished in the top 10 in MVP voting.  Never made an All Defense Team. 

He played a very long time and has great totals, but he never had a truly great single season and by the time he found truly great team success was past him prime. 

I just have a hard time calling him underrated.  He had a great career, will be a 1st ballot HOFer, but let's not pretend Pierce was more than he was.  He wasn't an upper echelon player.  Not like James, Durant, etc. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
You know how there’s bandwagon fans?

There are also bandwagon haters. Because of pierces rivalries against the Kobe  lakers, lebron on the cavs and heat, all these fanbases and their bandwagoners latched onto the “we hate pierce” wagon

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
You know how there’s bandwagon fans?

There are also bandwagon haters. Because of pierces rivalries against the Kobe  lakers, lebron on the cavs and heat, all these fanbases and their bandwagoners latched onto the “we hate pierce” wagon

Don't forget about the millions of diehard Al Harrington fans.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I can agree with PP being a lesser player to LBJ and Durant. But from a different perspective:
How many rings does prime PP win in 4 years with the Heatles? 2? What about their year one Vs Dallas?
Does PP win one last year with the Warriors, acting as KD?

I'd argue that he wins the same number of chips. Fit/timing are huge variables, proven that PP was seen as a great only once the whole team became great.

Pierce, when in prime, could be a No1. option on a championship team and play good defense.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Double post
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Don't fans often hate the best player on the teams that always beat them?

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Let em.

Paul Pierce is a future Hall of Famer and an analyst that knows the game.

If fans outside of BOS are STILL hurt over BOS' run in 2007-08 oh well.

We were due.

We're due for a LOT more the next few years so BUCKLE UP. :)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Living in Ohio I am surrounded by Celtics Haters.   A lot of my friends thought this was fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mp5V26En3s

And they hated him even more because of it.

People hate him because he is good and he cut a lot of teams throats in clutch time.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The way he (and KG) made BKN better right after the blockbuster (and heartbreaking) trade? Those two should have some love in BKN.

The way PP34 hit big shots in WAS during their playoff run a few years ago?

He should have some love in DC.

When he left WAS he took a LOT of heart and leadership with him.

At least THOSE two regions should have some love for PP34.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Living in Ohio I am surrounded by Celtics Haters.   A lot of my friends thought this was fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mp5V26En3s

And they hated him even more because of it.

People hate him because he is good and he cut a lot of teams throats in clutch time.

itecently visited Cleveland , and then stayed on Lake Erie.   Both my wife and I noted how very polite and helpful people were all though Ohio.    Also we noted how less stressful the traffic is than many other cities in the south where we are from.,  there is no lspeed limit in the south . People drive like they have common sense in Cleveland , the stay was very nice  . It was 70 ish and pleasant . But would be too cold for a southern boy year round.   I also loved my stay in Boston,   and Im going back soon.