Author Topic: Report: C's Likely One Of 7 Teams Lebron Meets/Talks With This Summer  (Read 13019 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/stephen-smith-lists-celtics-one-teams-lebron-james-will-talk-summer

Stephen A. Smith lists Celtics as one of the teams LeBron James will talk with this summer

During a segment on ESPN's "First Take," Stephen A. Smith listed the Boston Celtics as one of the teams he thinks LeBron James will have a conversation with as a free agent.

Smith said, "LeBron James is going to have a conversation with the Cleveland Cavaliers. They can offer him the most, and they are willing to do anything they can to keep him here, etc. etc., and obviously the wife is going to have a major, major say in things. So you got that going on. He's going to have a conversation with Boston. He's going to have a conversation with Philly. Obviously the Lakers. Houston's in the mix as well. They are going to go after him. Make no mistake about it."

"So you got Cleveland, Philly, Boston, Houston, LA, Golden State... I don't think there's anything Miami can do, but obviously because he was there and brought them two championships. Pat Riley made amends with Dwyane Wade, and you know how LeBron feels about D-Wade. Those are all conversations he's going to have. Those are the seven teams."

James has an opt-out clause after this season, which we will certainly exercise. Danny Ainge and the Celtics would have to get very creative if this was indeed an option with their cap situation.

(Insert Isaiah Thomas Twitter Eyeball Emojis)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Let's make it happen. I hope Boston can beat out Golden State for his services.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah I REALLY DOUBT it's between Golden State and Boston lol. They both are probably the least likely of the 7 to get James if we were talking odds/betting.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This is not a report, it's what Steven A. Smith thinks and ... I don't put much credence in that.

Standard aggregator nothing-burger.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Makes sense from LBJ's standpoint.

He wants more titles, you meet with the teams that have the talent you can compete for a title with. I don't think CLE/MIA/LA fit that criteria at the moment, but LA could get there with 2 max slots and trades and CLE/MIA are legacy members.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
This is not a report, it's what Steven A. Smith thinks and ... I don't put much credence in that.

Standard aggregator nothing-burger.

At least it gives Celtics fans drama to talk about for the next two days in a relatively boring period between now and the draft/FA  :P

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell

Yeah I REALLY DOUBT it's between Golden State and Boston lol. They both are probably the least likely of the 7 to get James if we were talking odds/betting.

Going to any other team on the list besides Boston or Golden State gives him a worse chance of winning titles.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
It is worth noting that Lowe and other reporters have repeatedly ruled out BOS out of hand for LBJ in the past.

Rumor mill is going to go crazy once GSW close out the Finals.

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
I think a starting lineup of Irving, Brown, James, Tatum, and Horford could win three titles.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
This obviously would have to be done via sign and trade since we don’t have cap space.  I imagine either Horford or Hayward would have to be part of the deal due to their salaries.  I can’t see James playing with Irving again though.

Re: Report: C's Likely One Of 7 Teams Lebron Meets/Talks With This Summer
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
This obviously would have to be done via sign and trade since we don’t have cap space.  I imagine either Horford or Hayward would have to be part of the deal due to their salaries.  I can’t see James playing with Irving again though.
Yeah, that's the part that doesn't make a ton of sense. Lot of issues to work out between LBJ being such a rival to BOS and also with Kyrie.

I don't think we're a serious possibility as a destination, not unless some very strange politicking and heart to hearts happen with LBJ/Kyrie to setup reuniting.

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 12:27:18 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We have Too Much to lose from meeting with lebron. Anyone remember Crowder hated that we told Durant too much about our strategy ?

Crowder was one of the Celtics who visited with Durant during his free agency in an attempt to lure him to Boston. During the process, Crowder fears the team told Durant too much, and now he has that information at Golden State.

"We were the only team in the NBA to beat (Cleveland and Golden State) on their home court. The only team in the NBA, the Boston Celtics," Crowder told MassLive.com. "We told him that. We played him clips from both games and told him basically the scouting report of how we guarded Steph (Curry) and Klay (Thompson) — our entire game plan, basically. That's what made me mad. We f—ing told him everything we do to beat these guys, and we beat them, and he went and joined them. ...

"Afterward, I was talking to Isaiah (Thomas), like maybe after you sit back, (we) shouldn't have told him everything, but who the f— thought he was going to Golden State, realistically? It was like a slap in the face for us, basically."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:34:56 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 12:27:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If LeBron wants to win more titles, his best chance is on a team in the Eastern Conference with superior, younger talent than what he has in Cleveland.  He should be looking to go somewhere that already has a player on the team who can carry a lot of the burden so he doesn't have to do it all he time.  But that player has to also be able to work with LeBron's game when LeBron is running the show.

The trouble is it's hard to find players like that.

Playing alongside Giannis doesn't make much sense, nor does playing with Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid. 

Victor Oladipo has already demonstrated he struggles in a system that keeps the ball out of his hands for long stretches and doesn't let him stay engaged and attacking frequently.

I think it'd make the most sense for LeBron to play alongside one of the do-it-all big men like Davis, Towns, or Jokic.  Aldridge is too long in the tooth.  Kristaps would be an interesting option if he weren't injured. 

Unless Houston finds a way to do a sign-and-trade, I think LeBron ends up going somewhere that doesn't give him a better chance at titles but does give him a chance to expand his brand.

That probably means L.A.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 12:28:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
We have Too Much to lose from meeting with lebron. Anyone remember Crowder hated that we told Durant too much about our strategy ?
What?

I don't think any FA pitch is giving away super secret basketball techniques. Mostly because they do not exist.

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 12:29:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
That probably means L.A.
LA with PG and another piece or three that they trade for is my current prediction as well.

Maybe Kawhi instead of PG, a LOT Of people in the league think Kawhi is going to end up in LA with either Clippers or Lakers.