Author Topic: Is Kyrie worth a Super Max?  (Read 5415 times)

Is Kyrie worth a Super Max?
« on: June 06, 2018, 11:12:19 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Considering his injury history and the Celtics' business/management philosophy.....if Irving does become eligible do the C's pay him a Super Max contract (200+ million) and do you guys think he is worth it?

Re: Is Kyrie worth a Super Max?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:13:01 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's not on the team that drafted him anymore so he won't be eligible.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Kyrie cannot be eligible for the supermax because you have to have been with your current team for at least 5 seasons.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 11:17:44 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Considering his injury history and the Celtics' business/management philosophy.....if Irving does become eligible do the C's pay him a Super Max contract (200+ million) and do you guys think he is worth it?

He has to be drafted by the team and past his rookie scale max extension, or been with the current team for 5 seasons.

If you're asking if he's worth it?

Yes. He's one of the deadliest and best ball handlers we have ever seen... We have a great coach that will mitigate any of his defensive weaknesses, and his passing whilst not incredibly high or above his career averages, seemed very promising in our system.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 11:21:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Well its a pure hypothetical, as others have said he is not eligible to receive it.

I don't think so. Injury history plus the age curve for smaller guards means its tough to give any small guard the super max. Curry is the only guard who I wouldn't be terrified of giving it to, and he has his own injury woes.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 11:27:25 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
For reference to get the super max contract:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

Kyrie was traded on his second contract, he is not eligible. He won't be able to receive that sort of max money till he has 10 years of service. (like Melo)

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 11:32:33 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
So he is not eligible for the super max. However, does the CBA allow for Kyrie's extension to be based on certain eligible increases based on whether he gets voted on an all NBA team? Or is that something only associated with the super max?

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 11:34:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
So he is not eligible for the super max. However, does the CBA allow for Kyrie's extension to be based on certain eligible increases based on whether he gets voted on an all NBA team? Or is that something only associated with the super max?
That is something only associated with the designated player rule. It effects whether you can get 25%/30%/35% of the cap earlier than your normal years of service would allow.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q23

Kyrie's next contract maximum salary will be 30% of the cap with 8% raises.

The first player we need to worry about the designated player max qualifications will be Brown and then Tatum. They are eligible for 25% of the cap unless they hit one of the qualifiers. Which are outlined in the Larry Coon guide Q24. (All NBA, MVP, DPOY etc)

(technically Rozier could get one of those three criteria as well  :laugh: )

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yes.

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 11:50:12 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Well its a pure hypothetical, as others have said he is not eligible to receive it.

I don't think so. Injury history plus the age curve for smaller guards means its tough to give any small guard the super max. Curry is the only guard who I wouldn't be terrified of giving it to, and he has his own injury woes.

Really? Injuries will always been a concern, but with the flexibility of our roster, Stevens can afford to give Kyrie ample time to rest and recover.

Kyrie averaged 25 PPG, 5.7 APG, 3.9 RPG and shot 53% on FGs, 44.8% on 3FGs and 92.1% on FTs during February, before being shut down with the knee injury.

He finished the season shooting 49.1% from the field, and he shot 40.8% from a staggering amount of 6.8 3PA.

With the addition of Gordon, who excels when he plays his pace and space game while breaking down defenses and allowing other players to feast on his excellent passing/play making. Kyrie will certainly benefit from playing alongside Gordon, and he can also afford to take more 3's, and definitely hit them at a higher efficient rate. (Which he's one of the best at.)

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 11:54:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
As to the question of worth --- boy am I sick of talking about what players are "worth" -- Kyrie has given every indication that he'll be a deadly 25+ ppg scorer with elite shooting at a vital position for the next 4-5 years. 

Yes, there are some injury concerns, but once he recovers from this knee thing I'm pretty confident he'll play 65-75+ games per season for the near future.  He's not an iron man but I'm not worried about him breaking down in a major way.

Kyrie is the youngest of all of the elite guards in the NBA right now.  He's got the nastiest handle on Earth and he's an elite shooter.  Pretty good passer too.  Has proven his ability to produce on the biggest stage and make clutch plays.  He's a top 10 player in the NBA right now and likely for the near future.

You gotta pay whatever you can to get & keep that type of player.  Plain and simple.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 11:57:14 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
As to the question of worth --- boy am I sick of talking about what players are "worth" -- Kyrie has given every indication that he'll be a deadly 25+ ppg scorer with elite shooting at a vital position for the next 4-5 years. 

Yes, there are some injury concerns, but once he recovers from this knee thing I'm pretty confident he'll play 65-75+ games per season for the near future.  He's not an iron man but I'm not worried about him breaking down in a major way.

Kyrie is the youngest of all of the elite guards in the NBA right now.  He's got the nastiest handle on Earth and he's an elite shooter.  Pretty good passer too.  Has proven his ability to produce on the biggest stage and make clutch plays.  He's a top 10 player in the NBA right now and likely for the near future.

You gotta pay whatever you can to get & keep that type of player.  Plain and simple.

TP.

I feel the exact same way.

Another reason why the trade Kyrie and replace Rozier with him boggles my mind.

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 12:09:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm normally all for paying for elite talent being worth it, even if they're "just" all-stars and not MVP because that's what you need to do.

But Westbrook/Wall supermaxes are contracts that I think are going to be very bad pretty quickly. Kyrie is a bit younger so if he were eligible I'd be somewhat less concerned but still worried.

Fortunately for the C's he's "just" going to be eligible to make 32 million per year instead of 38 million per year assuming the salary cap project is accurate.

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 12:15:43 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I'm normally all for paying for elite talent being worth it, even if they're "just" all-stars and not MVP because that's what you need to do.

But Westbrook/Wall supermaxes are contracts that I think are going to be very bad pretty quickly. Kyrie is a bit younger so if he were eligible I'd be somewhat less concerned but still worried.

Fortunately for the C's he's "just" going to be eligible to make 32 million per year instead of 38 million per year assuming the salary cap project is accurate.

Westbrook and Wall aren't as good as Kyrie, come on now

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I think Kyrie is going to age a lot better than Westbrook or Wall.  I'd also rather have Kyrie right now than either of those guys.
- Mark Twain