Poll

Would you rather be underpaid on a winning team or overpaid on a losing team?

Underpaid but winning
14 (45.2%)
Losing but paid well
17 (54.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: June 12, 2018, 07:32:59 PM

Author Topic: Would you rather be underpaid on a winning team or overpaid on a losing team?  (Read 2805 times)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It might make sense for superstars to take a slight discount and make not quite max money for the betterment and longevity of the team. This would help not only their endorsement opportunities but also their legacy.

However, unless you are a ring chasing veteran at the end of your career or winning for less will definitely give you a boost for your next contract, then you should absolutely maximize your earnings while they can.

In the end, it's a job and subjective deprivation is a real thing - even among people making tens of millions of dollars.

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Depends how good i am. Am i Durant or Lebron level underpaid? (Ie woth 30, getting 20-25)? Or like a mythical Lebron level talent on a vet min contract? And by overpaid, do you mean Westbrook level (worth 20, getting 35, so unlikely to be able to afford to surround him with enough to win a title), or more like scalabrine (worth vet min, made 3.5 per year).

I guess, in order:
-Curry (supermax star, worth it, on title te
-durant/lebron (should/would be worth supermax, paid less, on a title type team)
-westbrook/wall (a star, but overpaid to point of making successful team building hard, probably never winning a title, but holy $$$$$$$)
-Scal on a bad team (lucked into 5 years of a few million more per year than worth)
- career vet min on a title team

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Overpaid
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Depends how good i am. Am i Durant or Lebron level underpaid? (Ie woth 30, getting 20-25)? Or like a mythical Lebron level talent on a vet min contract? And by overpaid, do you mean Westbrook level (worth 20, getting 35, so unlikely to be able to afford to surround him with enough to win a title), or more like scalabrine (worth vet min, made 3.5 per year).

I guess, in order:
-Curry (supermax star, worth it, on title te
-durant/lebron (should/would be worth supermax, paid less, on a title type team)
-westbrook/wall (a star, but overpaid to point of making successful team building hard, probably never winning a title, but holy $$$$$$$)
-Scal on a bad team (lucked into 5 years of a few million more per year than worth)
- career vet min on a title team

TP :). I was just going to mention this.

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Not sure the OP intended this but it sounds like a Smsrt thread. I’m taking the money all day everyday, and I assume that’s what Smart would do, and should do. As others have pointed out, there’s a lot of variables. If Smart’s market value is 15mil, and the Celts offer him $13, and he accepts than he’s underpaid on a winning team, which I think makes more sense than overpaid on a bad team.

So I’ve answered the OPs question while bringing Smart into it. Do I win?  :P

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Definitely take the money.  It’s so easy for players to get traded, so if I’m underpaid I could quickly wind up on a not winning team.  To make matters worse, getting paid less makes you easier to trade.

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Do I get to play?   Win, less money and lots of playing time.....     

Losing, injured and lots of money..lol   Just kidding. 
Diggles

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
It matters hugely what level of player I am. Presumably given the timing we're talking more about a Marcus Smart type than a Durant or Irving type. Were it Durant or Irving I think it's a different sort of argument.

For a Smart type you have to think about how long your career would be, 8-9 years on average? I'm sure he'd be more but still... Then say that you may not have a job at a similar level post NBA, not everyone becomes a coach or a pundit. Then consider that you are highly likely to be the source of income for at least a family and one wider dependent (in most cases your mum).

Given that, coming off my rookie contract I'm taking the money. 3 years in Dallas with low tax would suit, then I'll look at taking less than I'm worth to chase rings. But at least I've taken care of my family and I have to worry far less about what comes after basketball.

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Not sure the OP intended this but it sounds like a Smsrt thread. I’m taking the money all day everyday, and I assume that’s what Smart would do, and should do. As others have pointed out, there’s a lot of variables. If Smart’s market value is 15mil, and the Celts offer him $13, and he accepts than he’s underpaid on a winning team, which I think makes more sense than overpaid on a bad team.

So I’ve answered the OPs question while bringing Smart into it. Do I win?  :P

Just in general. No specific player in mind.

I do see why decisions differ depending on the level of the player, years in the league, etc.
I moved the cheese.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Far too many unknown factors to be able to answer this.  Age, skill, role, coach, other players, team location (is it my hometown, a party spot, no taxes, etc.), is guaranteed to be that way for life of contract,  etc
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
What I'm wondering about is whether the team is trying to sign Rozier to an extension, and whether he would take a discount to stay. He's in an interesting situation. He might be more valuable now than he will be next year because of minutes, and the team may want to only commit to Smart or Rozier, but not both. If I were Ainge, I'd ask him if he wants to be the third guard, with the idea that if he says no, Smart might get that spot instead.

We could offer him $11M a year now and see if he bites.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing!!

For me it's winning by far because losing p---es me off and I would be in a bad mood all the time. I don't cherish winning I just HATE losing.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Depends on if I enjoy my time on that team / in that workplace.

If you enjoy going to your job every day and doing your work, it's a lot easier to accept being paid less.  If it's a grind, you're gonna want that paycheck.

It's easy for us fans to forget these guys are human beings and they have to show up to work every day just like us, plus they do a lot more traveling with coworkers and much of their work is in the public eye.

So let's hope Smart loves being in Boston.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Since the difference between overpaid and underpaid is huge in the NBA, overpay me. 

My family winning is still more important then my team winning.   

Plus as an NBA player, I would have an ego.   I will be a major part of turning around that losing team.   

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Honestly being from New England this isn't the easiest concept for me.  I get that this happens in other places.
I can't imagine not winning!
Exactly. False choice