Author Topic: Terry Rozier On First Take Today!  (Read 1985 times)

Terry Rozier On First Take Today!
« on: June 05, 2018, 03:10:45 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsuGjsF7D_E

Terry Rozier was on First Take Today (AT Cleveland, since obviously Finals has shifted there now). They basically talked about Celtics, playing against Lebron, the playoff run, and his role moving forward. The major points:

1. Stephen A. Smith low-key being slick and trying to sabotage the Celtics. He argues Rozier is "grossly underpaid" (title of the video, and yeah you can say it's true), but then questioning whether the C's youth can make "sacrifices" going forward involving playing time and such. Also thinking if the C's may make roster moves/trades to account for this.

2. The entire crew praising the C's for defying the odds in this postseason, including that impressive series against Philadelphia and to win even without Brown for 3 games (and limited for about 3 games that series) considering PHI were (heavy) favorites to win the series.. Also praising the "Celtics Process > PHI Process" and how good the C's will be when Kyrie and Hayward come back next year.

3. Max Kellerman saying how the C's "had an army" and Cleveland "had Lebron" and asking Rozier about the Cavaliers series and how the road struggles may have cost them that series, but it was understandable given how young the team was. Like, I agree with Max that our team on the road wasn't great in the playoffs and we had our road woes which could have cost us the Cavaliers series, but C's "had an army"?. Sure, but they were playing a ton of rookies/young guys and missing Kyrie, Theis and Hayward...

4. Rozier saying he hopes the team stays together for a long time and he wouldn't mind coming off the bench. Also acknowledging "he's not Kyrie" but thinks Kyrie can really put the team over the top next year.

5. Max also poking fun at Rozier saying if he likes San Antonio (alluding to a Kawhi trade)  :laugh:

6. Have to give MAJOR props to Cleveland fans. They applauded Rozier for his efforts in the playoffs and seemed to support all his answers (all the fans that showed up to the First Take taping today at the Cleveland location). Even when Hayward went down in the season opener, the Cavaliers fans all cheered in support for him when he unfortunately left the game. Say what you want about despising Lebron and such, but Cavaliers fans are a pretty good bunch, much better than Warriors fans IMO.

And that's about it. It's a 5 minute clip/segment. Even if you don't like First Take, I'd recommend watching this one segment with Rozier on the show.  8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Terry Rozier On First Take Today!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 03:29:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Thanks for the break down, Phantom! Rozier is definitely a likable guy and I'm glad he is getting some due praise.

Ughh, I can't believe we lost to stupid Lebron again, though  >:(

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 03:33:33 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Thanks for the break down, Phantom! Rozier is definitely a likable guy and I'm glad he is getting some due praise.

Ughh, I can't believe we lost to stupid Lebron again, though  >:(

No problem, and yeah the Game 7 loss still stings. It's sad because honestly, Lebron wasn't even as fearsome as we saw in other games and over the years (like obviously he did great still but wasn't like a 40-point triple double), and we actually held them to less than 90 points with fantastic defense. Unfortunately our offense went ice cold and Rozier+Brown decided to have their worst games of the playoffs in that particular one.

But I'm still extremely proud of our guys and we still made a huge statement during this postseason run. Just get healthy this summer and I think for sure we are in position to make a run for Banner 18 next season. (It's no longer, "hey lets make progress and push Lebron to 6-7 games....", nope, next season it's "we're going for it all!")  ;D

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 03:33:49 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
1. Lol Stephen A. Smith hilarious.

2. Not many expected the Celtics to get that far, who were one win away from an NBA Finals appearance since 2010, or 9-points shy of eliminating LeBron James in the Eastern Conference Finals.

3. Max Kellerman typical Boston hater. Celtics were also missing their rotational player in Shane Larkin. An army of rookies and guys who haven't been in the playoffs or deep in the playoffs labeled as underdogs all playoffs long (including home games) against the greatest player in the world, love the us-against-the-world mentality.

4. I think Rozier gets traded. Enjoyed the Scary Terry moments, but not the ECF Game 7 Terry moments.

5. Sign me up any day of the week if it's Rozier for Kawhi Leonard straight up.

6. I always thought LeBron fans were just as worst as Kobe/Lakers fans, so Cavs fans are ugh. But living in LA I deal with their crap everyday. I just point to a trash can whenever I see someone wearing a Lakers or LeBron jersey, hinting them to throw it in there LOL. Same with Warriors fans, can't stand their bandwagoning. Lately been seeing so many Curry jerseys in LA it's hysterical.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 03:37:46 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
1. Lol Stephen A. Smith hilarious.

2. Not many expected the Celtics to get that far, who were one win away from an NBA Finals appearance since 2010, or 9-points shy of eliminating LeBron James in the Eastern Conference Finals.

3. Max Kellerman typical Boston hater. Celtics were also missing their rotational player in Shane Larkin. An army of rookies and guys who haven't been in the playoffs or deep in the playoffs labeled as underdogs all playoffs long (including home games) against the greatest player in the world, love the us-against-the-world mentality.

4. I think Rozier gets traded. Enjoyed the Scary Terry moments, but not the ECF Game 7 Terry moments.

5. Sign me up any day of the week if it's Rozier for Kawhi Leonard straight up.

6. I always thought LeBron fans were just as worst as Kobe/Lakers fans, so Cavs fans are ugh. But living in LA I deal with their crap everyday. I just point to a trash can whenever I see someone wearing a Lakers or LeBron jersey, hinting them to throw it in there LOL. Same with Warriors fans, can't stand their bandwagoning. Lately been seeing so many Curry jerseys in LA it's hysterical.

LOL I'm actually friends with two guys from LA who claim they are Warriors fans and have been since childhood. Yeah right...  ::)

Rozier for Kawhi can't happen since salaries aren't close.

I think the only way Rozier gets traded if him + a package of picks gets us into the 4-7 range in the draft. Otherwise, he stays regardless whether we bring back Smart or not. I don't think Ainge trades Rozier for some "marginal upgrade" in another position. He'd probably value depth at the guard position in that case and see how it plays out next summer with Rozier in RFA.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 03:46:27 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
Rozier also did a pizza review with Barstool Sports yesterday and he flat out admitted that he stunk in game 7. I believe he also recorded a podcast with the Mickstape guys that should be released soon.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 03:55:06 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Rozier also did a pizza review with Barstool Sports yesterday and he flat out admitted that he stunk in game 7. I believe he also recorded a podcast with the Mickstape guys that should be released soon.

Yeah, he looks real humble and also honest with himself and whoever he's talking to.

Even Jaylen admitted he stunk in Game 7.

Hopefully these guys use it as fuel going into next season though! (I am 99.9% certain Jaylen stays but idk about Rozier. I'm guessing he's still here next season though)

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Yeah that comparison between "an army" vs. "Lebron" seems ridiculous. If Kyrie was healthy, series is won by Boston in 5-6 games. Rozier was great in the playoffs but honestly in the Cavaliers series he only had 1 great game (and a few "decent" ones and then of course the horrible Game 7). Kyrie would have made a huge difference. If you think about it, Cleveland has NO ONE who could guard him 35-40 minutes a night each game.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 06:13:06 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

3. Max Kellerman saying how the C's "had an army" and Cleveland "had Lebron" and asking Rozier about the Cavaliers series and how the road struggles may have cost them that series, but it was understandable given how young the team was. Like, I agree with Max that our team on the road wasn't great in the playoffs and we had our road woes which could have cost us the Cavaliers series, but C's "had an army"?. Sure, but they were playing a ton of rookies/young guys and missing Kyrie, Theis and Hayward...

Isn't that a compliment to the Celtics depth and just saying the C's played as a team, whereas the Cavs were just a one-man team?

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 08:23:04 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Isn't that a compliment to the Celtics depth and just saying the C's played as a team, whereas the Cavs were just a one-man team?

Very well could be, but still, our "army" was missing our two best players and two of our better bench guys (Theis, Larkin). It also contributed to our road woes during the playoffs overall.

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 02:56:35 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Also why Cleveland fans are horrible: they booed Kyrie Irving on opening night, who was the key reason in how LeBron got his third ring.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Also why Cleveland fans are horrible: they booed Kyrie Irving on opening night, who was the key reason in how LeBron got his third ring.

Well, once Lebron leaves in FA, there won't be Cleveland fans left...  :P

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 10:42:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't really mind the army of guys quote.  I mean looking at the teams in that series, outside of James and Love, did Cleveland even have another player in the top 8 if you were ranking the players.  I mean this was probably the 8 best players in that series: James and Love from Cleveland and then (in no particular order) Horford, Tatum, Brown, Morris, Rozier, and Smart from Boston (and Baynes might very well be the 9th best player in that series).  I mean maybe you could argue Kyle Korver, Tristan Thompson, or George Hill were on the same level as the lower level Celtics players, but I wouldn't. 

No reason to be sensitive about comments like that.  Just take a step back and look at it from a far and you see what I described above is clearly what Max was getting at.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 10:57:18 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't really mind the army of guys quote.  I mean looking at the teams in that series, outside of James and Love, did Cleveland even have another player in the top 8 if you were ranking the players.  I mean this was probably the 8 best players in that series: James and Love from Cleveland and then (in no particular order) Horford, Tatum, Brown, Morris, Rozier, and Smart from Boston (and Baynes might very well be the 9th best player in that series).  I mean maybe you could argue Kyle Korver, Tristan Thompson, or George Hill were on the same level as the lower level Celtics players, but I wouldn't. 

No reason to be sensitive about comments like that.  Just take a step back and look at it from a far and you see what I described above is clearly what Max was getting at.

That's fair. I just felt the impression Max was giving in the video was that the C's had their fully healthy army and still got dispatched by Lebron, even though that wasn't true. But maybe you're right.

I did think the road woes hurt us ultimately. The inability to win on the road was expected with our young team but when we get back Hayward and Kyrie next year I think we can make a deep run AND have a good shot at winning a few more road playoff games.