Author Topic: Hat tip to the Chicago Bears  (Read 1871 times)

Hat tip to the Chicago Bears
« on: June 05, 2018, 02:46:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You don't see much of this in professional sports, where every dollar counts:

While in the process of attempting to catch a touchdown pass against New Orleans, Chicago Bears tight end Zach Miller hit the ground with enough force to dislocate his knee, an injury so severe that Miller very nearly lost his leg. (Plus, to add insult to grievous injury, the touchdown didn’t even count.)

The demolished knee demanded immediate surgery to repair a torn popliteal artery; the knee was so ruined that Miller even risked amputation. The likelihood of Miller ever playing professional football again is slim indeed, but the Bears have nonetheless offered him a one-year deal.

The deal pays Miller $458,000 if he doesn’t play, and $790,000 if he does. It’s a fine gesture, given that Miller’s contract ran out at the end of 2017 and Chicago didn’t owe him another dime.

I'm sure that it's been done before, but it's basically a $458k gift to a guy who will probably never play again. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Hat tip to the Chicago Bears
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 03:11:28 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Miller's contract expired after the 2017 season, yet the Bears signed him to a one-year deal on Monday worth the veteran minimum. On Tuesday the team officially placed him on the reserve/physically unable to perform (PUP) list, essentially ending his season. Because of the deal he signed with Chicago, he will have a chance to continue to rehab at the facility, still be a part of the team in meetings and will also make $458,000 this season. Miller met with the media for the first time on Tuesday following the re-signing and was still blown away by what the organization did for him.

"It’s tough for me to put it into words, what it means to me, but I’m just very thankful and grateful to be a part of this family," Miller said in his press conference.

Really awesome story. Players around the league will take note.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 03:21:22 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
That's a very generous and classy thought from his employer I feel. You don't see this happen often, but good on the Bears and wish Zach Miller the best and full recovery.

I like watching the Bears play the Packers and pulling for them in those division rival showdowns. Can't stand the cheeseheads.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 05:27:00 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
You don't see much of this in professional sports, where every dollar counts:

While in the process of attempting to catch a touchdown pass against New Orleans, Chicago Bears tight end Zach Miller hit the ground with enough force to dislocate his knee, an injury so severe that Miller very nearly lost his leg. (Plus, to add insult to grievous injury, the touchdown didn’t even count.)

The demolished knee demanded immediate surgery to repair a torn popliteal artery; the knee was so ruined that Miller even risked amputation. The likelihood of Miller ever playing professional football again is slim indeed, but the Bears have nonetheless offered him a one-year deal.

The deal pays Miller $458,000 if he doesn’t play, and $790,000 if he does. It’s a fine gesture, given that Miller’s contract ran out at the end of 2017 and Chicago didn’t owe him another dime.

I'm sure that it's been done before, but it's basically a $458k gift to a guy who will probably never play again.

Classy move, and I hope for the best for Miller. I hate to see anyone's career end prematurely due to injury.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 06:50:40 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I wish my employer was this classy.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 07:00:27 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It’s a lovely offer but if I’m Miller, I want to do a job for that money, like scouting. I hope they give him the dignity he deserves and not just charity. Yes, I know he has a “job” called rehabbing but there’s plenty of time for other things.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 07:53:27 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
It’s a lovely offer but if I’m Miller, I want to do a job for that money, like scouting. I hope they give him the dignity he deserves and not just charity. Yes, I know he has a “job” called rehabbing but there’s plenty of time for other things.
He's not even retired. He's still on the team, there's no reason for him to scout or something lol. Teddy Bridgewater came back from a similar, if not worse injury.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out