Poll

Which of these two do you find more offensive?

The thought of trading Jaylen straight up for #5
22 (57.9%)
That anyone wrote that paragraph for a major newspaper
16 (42.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Brown to Mavs speculation: What's worse: The idea or the writing?  (Read 4130 times)

Re: Brown to Mavs speculation: What's worse: The idea or the writing?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 11:26:17 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's all bad.

Yes, let's trade a 21 year old versatile wing who just averaged 18 points per game for a team that was one win away from the Finals for a completely unproven top 5 pick in a draft of questionable depth and quality.

Oh, and let's use that pick to draft a big man when the value of that position has never been in greater flux / doubt.

Super great idea!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 11:28:13 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

[Soapbox]That's not what I find to be the worst part of the article, though. Look, it's the internet, and no one asks for the King's English. I've even grown accustomed to people not knowing the difference between "loose" and "lose," although I admit to still having trouble with those who mix up "their" and "there."

What about people who confuse "reactive" and "reactionary"? That makes me crazy
There isn't ever a reason not to have perfect grammar, spelling, and comprehension in your native language.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 11:29:44 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
It's all bad.

Yes, let's trade a 21 year old versatile wing who just averaged 18 points per game for a team that was one win away from the Finals for a completely unproven top 5 pick in a draft of questionable depth and quality.

Oh, and let's use that pick to draft a big man when the value of that position has never been in greater flux / doubt.

Super great idea!
If they'll take Rozier, the SAC pick, and another future pick, sure. Otherwise, no thanks.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 11:30:22 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Trading Jaylen Brown either straight up or as a "centerpiece of a package (whatever the heck that would be)" for the #5 pick would be an idiotic move by the Celtics.

Absolutely idiotic.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 11:32:33 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Trading Jaylen Brown either straight up or as a "centerpiece of a package (whatever the heck that would be) for the #5 pick would be an idiotic move by the Celtics.

Absolutely idiotic.
I think they got it backwards. The 5th pick can be a centerpiece of a package for Jaylen Brown. Would be a poor package either way, though.

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
The trade idea seems extremely risky....and therefore irresponsible, which makes it repugnant.

However, just as the rich use money to make money, the Celtics, who are so rich in talent, might use that talent to get even richer...talent-wise.  I say this since no one here on Celtics blog has any ability to say with surety (?...is that a word) that Bamba won't help this team more than Brown, given his unique stature.  What I mean is let's say we had both Jaylen and Bamba, and they seemed to be having about an equal effect on the Celtics' winning...would you then rather replace Brown with Mikal Bridges, or Bamba with _______?   See?  Harder to think of a Bamba replacement (please don't say Noel...ugh..cough...puke).  Brown for Bamba is a big risk, but something you wait and see on before crucifying anyone.  Oh heck go ahead and crucify...then you can apologize later if needed.

In any case, when you have a great minded young intellectual basketball player (Brown) on your team and you covet another supposed intellectual smarty pants (Bamba), you do your best to combine them, so that they can play chess with their whisky and wine on team flights, verbally spar with Brad, play connect 4 with Rondo at Pizzeria Uno after Pelican Celtic contests, give speeches at Harvard, and deal with Joel Embiid's trash talk in some manner that I cannot fathom.

TP to OP.

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

[Soapbox]That's not what I find to be the worst part of the article, though. Look, it's the internet, and no one asks for the King's English. I've even grown accustomed to people not knowing the difference between "loose" and "lose," although I admit to still having trouble with those who mix up "their" and "there."

There isn't ever a reason not to have perfect grammar, spelling, and comprehension in your native language.

I like this take...thank you.

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 11:34:23 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Trading Jaylen Brown either straight up or as a "centerpiece of a package (whatever the heck that would be) for the #5 pick would be an idiotic move by the Celtics.

Absolutely idiotic.
I think they got it backwards. The 5th pick can be a centerpiece of a package for Jaylen Brown. Would be a poor package either way, though.

For sure.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 11:43:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
All of these rumors are a direct result of the Celtics meeting with Bamba and apparently showing an interest in him.  Writers, then try to come up with a trade that could get Boston high enough in the draft to land Bamba, and come to the likely correct realization that Rozier and the Sacto pick probably isn't good enough.  They then try to figure out what sort of package makes sense, and determine that Brown is probably a strong enough asset to get Boston high enough, and these silly trade ideas are born. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 02:57:49 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
In what world does a #3 pick net a return of a #5 pick? Especially when said #3 pick demonstrated his ability to be a real player in this league which is a wing dominated league?

Cuban can continue to smoke the ganga thinking this will be the set-up of this trade.

We could just run it back (with Brown) and add a center who has demonstrated he can play strong defense and give you nearly 10ppg and 10rpg in Nerlens Noel. Who knows, in CBS system, he may progress even further as it has been proven that he gets the most out of players.

X

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 03:03:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The value of big men who have skills beyond "playing basketball while being tall" has never been higher though.

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 03:06:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Marcus Smart is from Dallas the more likely offer is Marcus for the # 5?

Can we trade Smart before he signs. Smart would make the Mavs better but that seems like an overpay for Smart.

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 03:15:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think what's worse is Mavericks fans themselves reading the offer and going, "Brown + 2 Future Picks for #5? Nah we want Tatum instead of Brown and it's a deal" LOL NOPE Y'ALL CAN GO KICK ROCKS!!  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 03:21:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I think what's worse is Mavericks fans themselves reading the offer and going, "Brown + 2 Future Picks for #5? Nah we want Tatum instead of Brown and it's a deal" LOL NOPE Y'ALL CAN GO KICK ROCKS!!  :laugh:

I think Brown is worth the #1 pick in this draft which equals Doncic.

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 03:32:52 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64

Double negative.