Poll

Which of these two do you find more offensive?

The thought of trading Jaylen straight up for #5
22 (57.9%)
That anyone wrote that paragraph for a major newspaper
16 (42.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Brown to Mavs speculation: What's worse: The idea or the writing?  (Read 4132 times)

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
More speculation, this time from Sporting News (via Dallas Morning News) that the Celtics want Bamba and SN suggesting that Jaylen Brown could be the price. Pure speculation.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2018/06/03/jaylen-brown-mavs-celtics-looking-trade-nba-draft-report-says

[Soapbox]That's not what I find to be the worst part of the article, though. Look, it's the internet, and no one asks for the King's English. I've even grown accustomed to people not knowing the difference between "loose" and "lose," although I admit to still having trouble with those who mix up "their" and "there."

The linked article, speculating that the Celtics could trade Jaylen Brown for #5, ends with this paragraph:

With last year's No. 9 overall pick used on point guard Dennis Smith Jr., Brown could be the centerpiece of a package Boston could offer Dallas for their No. 5 pick.

That may be the worst written sentence in the history of the world. That prepositional phrase is just dropped in at the beginning of the sentence, and Jaylen Brown is thrust into the second half without remorse. It sounds like the Celtics drafted DS Jr. last year.

What makes it so bad is that this sentence wasn't written by a random guy on the internet. It showed up in the Dallas Morning News and was written by somebody who, theoretically, went to journalism school. Simply put, I find it offensive that the author of such tripe associated him/herself with Jaylen through this article.

Danny Concannon would be mortified.[/Soapbox]

Mike

Re: Brown to Mavs speculation: What's worse: The idea or the writing?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 09:26:34 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
if we trade Brown for Bamba I will consider it up there with the 2010 game 7 finals loss as one of the worst moments in franchise history.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:32:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is what happens when you pull sentences out of larger articles.  That sentence makes perfect sense within the context of the article (and the linked article) which speculated that Boston would use Rozier or Brown to move into the top 5 to draft Bamba.  Since Dallas had just taken a PG, acquiring Rozier made no sense for them, thus Brown would have been the main piece being used, rather than Rozier.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 09:36:57 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
In what world does a #3 pick net a return of a #5 pick? Especially when said #3 pick demonstrated his ability to be a real player in this league which is a wing dominated league?

Cuban can continue to smoke the ganga thinking this will be the set-up of this trade.

We could just run it back (with Brown) and add a center who has demonstrated he can play strong defense and give you nearly 10ppg and 10rpg in Nerlens Noel. Who knows, in CBS system, he may progress even further as it has been proven that he gets the most out of players.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
This is what happens when you pull sentences out of larger articles.  That sentence makes perfect sense within the context of the article (and the linked article) which speculated that Boston would use Rozier or Brown to move into the top 5 to draft Bamba.  Since Dallas had just taken a PG, acquiring Rozier made no sense for them, thus Brown would have been the main piece being used, rather than Rozier.

It makes sense because we understand the context. It would be a fine forum post.

It should have been written differently for a published piece.

I'd say the idea and the writing are equally bad.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:45:06 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The idea for sure dont the Mavs have 2 overpaid wings.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 09:56:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

It makes sense because we understand the context. It would be a fine forum post.

It should have been written differently for a published piece.

I'd say the idea and the writing are equally bad.
Oh it is a silly idea, but the writing is no where near as bad.  That sentence makes perfect sense in that article. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 09:57:36 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Danny Ainge, don't you dare touch Brown and Tatum! Those are our two future guys!

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Marcus Smart is from Dallas the more likely offer is Marcus for the # 5?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 10:10:20 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Makes sense to me.

...uh, the sentence, not the suggested trade.

Guess my three dots aren't grammerically correct either, huh?  Oh well, too old to change now! :)

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 10:12:53 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
The worst part is the Mavs fans acting like Brown/Tatum + Sac19 is the starting point for a trade discussion. ???

I saw some moron say Brown + Tatum + Sac19. I bet it was the same guy that said we need to add Tatum and Brown to the Kyrie deal after they "found out" IT is injured.

I know that franchises tend to overvalue their assets, but sometimes it crosses into insanity.

As far as the writing, I'm numb to it at this point. These young beat writers are part of the emoji generation. Just knowing the difference between they're, their and there is where the bar is currently set.

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 10:13:25 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Trading Brown for a draft pick just makes no sense. You're giving up a a guy who looks like a sure thing for a guy who is probably a 50/50 proposition, at best.

Even if Ainge and Stevens think that Tatum & Hayward are the better players and want them as their primary wings, you don't make that trade. Brown has given every indication he is a future all-star. You have to hold onto him to trade for another star, even if there's a nutty idea from Ainge or someone else that he isn't a key long-term piece.

I just can't believe this idea would be floated from anyone inside the organization. Sounds like wishful thinking on the part of other clubs.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 10:15:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The worst part is the Mavs fans acting like Brown/Tatum + Sac19 is the starting point for a trade discussion. ???

I saw some moron say Brown + Tatum + Sac19. I bet it was the same guy that said we need to add Tatum and Brown to the Kyrie deal after they "found out" IT is injured.

I know that franchises tend to overvalue their assets, but sometimes it crosses into insanity.
I don't think DA would make it safely out of Boston if he made that deal!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 10:59:38 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
More speculation, this time from Sporting News (via Dallas Morning News) that the Celtics want Bamba and SN suggesting that Jaylen Brown could be the price. Pure speculation.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2018/06/03/jaylen-brown-mavs-celtics-looking-trade-nba-draft-report-says

[Soapbox]That's not what I find to be the worst part of the article, though. Look, it's the internet, and no one asks for the King's English. I've even grown accustomed to people not knowing the difference between "loose" and "lose," although I admit to still having trouble with those who mix up "their" and "there."

The linked article, speculating that the Celtics could trade Jaylen Brown for #5, ends with this paragraph:

With last year's No. 9 overall pick used on point guard Dennis Smith Jr., Brown could be the centerpiece of a package Boston could offer Dallas for their No. 5 pick.

That may be the worst written sentence in the history of the world. That prepositional phrase is just dropped in at the beginning of the sentence, and Jaylen Brown is thrust into the second half without remorse. It sounds like the Celtics drafted DS Jr. last year.

What makes it so bad is that this sentence wasn't written by a random guy on the internet. It showed up in the Dallas Morning News and was written by somebody who, theoretically, went to journalism school. Simply put, I find it offensive that the author of such tripe associated him/herself with Jaylen through this article.

Danny Concannon would be mortified.[/Soapbox]

Mike

I totally get your frustration with the bad writing—I'm an editor, so 90% of what I see online drives me nuts. And even though I understand that most people are not editors, and I can't hold them to the same standard I hold for myself, the amount of laziness I see in writing is mind-numbing at times. I mean, how does someone confuse "loose" and "lose"? I think I learned that distinction in, like, 1st grade.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 11:00:05 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

What about people who confuse "reactive" and "reactionary"? That makes me crazy