Author Topic: Non Cs Kawhi Leonard trade idea?  (Read 2185 times)

Non Cs Kawhi Leonard trade idea?
« on: June 04, 2018, 10:34:37 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Ok so i need to know if this trade is even reasonable........
Grizz trade parsons and #4pick for Kawhi.

Now this only works if Doncic slides to four. So really Doncic and Parsons for Leonard. I think Doncic is a Spurs type player and i still think Parsons can turn it around( shot over 4o% from 3). Plus SAS have cap space.

While the Grizz are close to contenders in west: conley/Kawhi/gasol

Re: Non Cs Kawhi Leonard trade idea?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 10:38:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think Leonard would consent to that trade, so Memphis wouldn't do it.

Cannot trade the #4 pick for a rental.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 10:41:15 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Ok so i need to know if this trade is even reasonable........
Grizz trade parsons and #4pick for Kawhi.

Now this only works if Doncic slides to four. So really Doncic and Parsons for Leonard. I think Doncic is a Spurs type player and i still think Parsons can turn it around( shot over 4o% from 3). Plus SAS have cap space.

While the Grizz are close to contenders in west: conley/Kawhi/gasol

I like it a lot. I do think the Spurs could probably ask more considering what they could likely get from the Sixers.

Perhaps one of Brooks or Davis too?

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 10:43:45 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Spurs should receive more because of the Parsons albatross contract
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:18:28 AM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 01:43:10 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I don't think Leonard would consent to that trade, so Memphis wouldn't do it.

Cannot trade the #4 pick for a rental.
Even if it were just a rental I tjink the Grizz should still try it. Top end talent would make them very competitive and bring back the fans.....and maybe kawhi resigns with em. They are not blowing it up this year so might as well gamble on it and if it doesnt work...blow it up. High risk high reward that could change the franchise if Fans and Timberlake can convine Leonard to stay.

Spurs should receive more because of the Parsons albatross contract
Yea there might be some other things but that is the core of trade. While parsons contract is awful i still think he is a fringe starter if healthy. Shot 46% FG and 42% 3pt last year in less than 20mins of play.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:47:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Could the Hornets be a possibility? Michael Jordan has said great things about Kawhi, and if they trade a contract (Batum) + #11 + a future pick and roll out a "Big 3" of Kemba/Kawhi/Howard... that's a playoff team for sure IMO.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 02:16:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Could the Hornets be a possibility? Michael Jordan has said great things about Kawhi, and if they trade a contract (Batum) + #11 + a future pick and roll out a "Big 3" of Kemba/Kawhi/Howard... that's a playoff team for sure IMO.

No, they could not be a possibility.  It would take #11 and 3 more unprotected future firsts to get that deal done.  Batum’s contract is — one of the worst in basketball.  I like Batum a bit, but at $24, $25.5, and $27 million over the next three seasons for a guy who’s probably about average these days as a player and is now entering his 30s, that contract handcuffs the Spurs for years.

Contracts like Batum’s and Evan Turner’s are why I wish the CBA had changed it’s trade rules.  Batum is useful, but overpaid by 2-3x.  Say he should be paid $10 million a year.  Good teams can’t take him on because he is an inefficient use of payroll space.  Bad teams will, but will want compensation to do so for the $25 million per year he wastes of their tax space, since they don’t care about his contributions, whereas Charlotte only will want to pay for the $15 million of value that he doesn’t provide them.  Right now the only way he gets traded is if another team has a bad contract to send back to Charlotte to help make up the difference (this is what the Blazers and Nets did in the Allen Crabbe trade).  But if they had changed the CBA to allow Charlotte to keep paying some of his salary on an annual basis, and make his cap number for the new team the remainder, it would make him a lot more tradable.  This is what baseball does (although they don’t need to match salaries in trades) and the NBA had sort of set up this mechanism in the prior CBA with bidding on amnestied players.  I wish they had brought it into the new CBA, since they did a total rehaul of the agreement and fixed a lot of issues.

Sorry for my tangent, but Nic Batum’s contract is a trigger for me.  Useful players that are paid star money are some of the hardest to move, and it’s a shame.  The team that has them can’t go in a different direction, and other teams can’t make use of these players.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 03:47:07 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

No, they could not be a possibility.  It would take #11 and 3 more unprotected future firsts to get that deal done.  Batum’s contract is — one of the worst in basketball.  I like Batum a bit, but at $24, $25.5, and $27 million over the next three seasons for a guy who’s probably about average these days as a player and is now entering his 30s, that contract handcuffs the Spurs for years.

Contracts like Batum’s and Evan Turner’s are why I wish the CBA had changed it’s trade rules.  Batum is useful, but overpaid by 2-3x.  Say he should be paid $10 million a year.  Good teams can’t take him on because he is an inefficient use of payroll space.  Bad teams will, but will want compensation to do so for the $25 million per year he wastes of their tax space, since they don’t care about his contributions, whereas Charlotte only will want to pay for the $15 million of value that he doesn’t provide them.  Right now the only way he gets traded is if another team has a bad contract to send back to Charlotte to help make up the difference (this is what the Blazers and Nets did in the Allen Crabbe trade).  But if they had changed the CBA to allow Charlotte to keep paying some of his salary on an annual basis, and make his cap number for the new team the remainder, it would make him a lot more tradable.  This is what baseball does (although they don’t need to match salaries in trades) and the NBA had sort of set up this mechanism in the prior CBA with bidding on amnestied players.  I wish they had brought it into the new CBA, since they did a total rehaul of the agreement and fixed a lot of issues.

Sorry for my tangent, but Nic Batum’s contract is a trigger for me.  Useful players that are paid star money are some of the hardest to move, and it’s a shame.  The team that has them can’t go in a different direction, and other teams can’t make use of these players.
Why isn't that a rule? In baseball anyone can be traded, because the team is allowed to pay whatever amount of the remaining salary is left. The Twins just traded Phil Hughes because even though he is useless and expensive, they ate the rest of his salary this year and part of it next year. Couldn't the NBA just count the part of the salary you are paying towards your dead money? It looks like that is only for players getting released, but I see no reason why it couldn't be for traded players as well.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 04:11:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Why isn't that a rule? In baseball anyone can be traded, because the team is allowed to pay whatever amount of the remaining salary is left. The Twins just traded Phil Hughes because even though he is useless and expensive, they ate the rest of his salary this year and part of it next year. Couldn't the NBA just count the part of the salary you are paying towards your dead money? It looks like that is only for players getting released, but I see no reason why it couldn't be for traded players as well.

It could be, but they didn’t put it in their collective bargaining agreement, so it won’t be for at least 6 more years.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 03:45:19 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
What about Barnes + #5 from Dallas? I imagine they'd take the chance on resigning Kawhi.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 04:04:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What about Barnes + #5 from Dallas? I imagine they'd take the chance on resigning Kawhi.
That would be interesting. If the Mavericks make this move then they’d definitely go after some FA’s (DeAndre or DMC maybe?)

Would be fun! I think Barnes would be good under Pop too, as would Jackson Jr / Bamba / Bagley

The main problem I have with the OP is I cannot see Doncic falling to #4. If he miraculously does then I think San Antonio ask for a bit more for Parsons’ contract
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)