Author Topic: The idea of Boston going after LeBron is insane, but it's not THAT insane  (Read 7806 times)

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
The odds in Stevens signing off on trading Hayward are as good as Hillary running again for president and winning- Zip! 😁

Horford possibly but why would  Cavs do that unless flipping him for picks. They would want Brown or Tatum with salary-

Kyrie and Lebron together in Boston with our youth would be crazy! I might be upset for all of five seconds 😁

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
anything is possible

I might win the lotto too

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The odds in Stevens signing off on trading Hayward are as good as Hillary running again for president and winning- Zip! 😁

Horford possibly but why would  Cavs do that unless flipping him for picks. They would want Brown or Tatum with salary-

Kyrie and Lebron together in Boston with our youth would be crazy! I might be upset for all of five seconds 😁

At the end of the day, it's all about championships. LeBron and Kyrie can co-exist... We've seen that happen in 2016... Imagine Tatum/Brown and Horford? Holy moly.

Kyrie
Brown
Tatum
LeBron
Horford

Smart as our Iggy/sixth man.

One can dream.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
It IS THAT insane

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
First of all, Danny Ainge isn't brutal, not even cold blooded, he traded IT to the team in the Final, it's IT himself messed it up by not having surgery plus bad attitude with Cavs, and still he can go to whatever team he wants after this. as for the MAX? he simply doesn't worth it.
oh and danny doesn't kill his sister nor do him force IT to play, the only thing will be the misdiagnose but that's not on Danny nor should he give IT the max because of it.

Danny is just being smart and decisive, that's all.

Second, Lebron can sign with MLE. so he can pass MJ in rings to fulfill his dream, that alone is worth more than a max contract whether it's financial or legacy stand point.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Cavs are not in a position to ask for anything.  LeBron is an unrestricted free agent.  He can (and probably will) leave them with absolutely nothing this Summer.

My idea was about salary dumping Horford (if you get can back assets, that's ideal) and just signing LeBron outright as a free agent.

When realizing they are on the verge of losing LeBron for nothing, they'd probably opt for a sign-and-trade where they get back something of value.  Sure as hell will not be Jaylen Brown or anything.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
First, the idea that there is bad blood between Kyrie and LeBron isn't factual.  I've done a ton of research on it.  It's just a lazy narrative the media spun to hype the season. 

I might do a video where I deep dive into this, but the real reason, in short, is that there were strong indicators coming out of LeBron's camp that he was bailing after this season.  There was also major dysfunction throughout the organization.  Bron apparently had a terrible relationship with ownership.  Their GM and owner didn't get along.  Meanwhile the team was shopping Kyrie (something LeBron wasn't supportive of) trying to find any method to get Bron to commit long term.  Ugly situation.  It wasn't about Kyrie wanting to be "the man" on his "own team", it was about getting the heck out of Cleveland before he was stuck there after LeBron left.  Asking out when he did allowed him to be portrayed as a bold and confident anti-durant who picked the harder path.  Had he waited until after LeBron left, he'd be seen as a coward and quitter.  Smart business move all-around. 

Everything I've seen and heard from those two suggests to me there is a ton of mutual respect and love between the two.  All you had to do is watch them on the bench during the all-star game to see those two are close.  Does this look like bad blood to you?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0DlEHGABFI

It's HIGHLY UNLIKELY if not utterly impossible, but not unthinkable that Bron would join Kyrie in Boston.

A simple idea would be imagining a sign-and-trade where we ship out Hayward's 30 mil or Horford's 30 mil.   That's brutal to imagine (especially Hayward), but Danny is a brutal GM. 

Really can't imagine Hayward being the one to go, but you can't totally rule out Horford given the age. You'd be swapping out one old guy for another.  You could say, "no way Cavs would want Horford if they are rebuilding" and perhaps you're right.  But honestly, if Boston REAAALLLY wanted to free up the necessary cap space, they could just salary dump Horford on a team like Indiana (they have 30+ mil free) and take back nothing.  Worst-case you also give up a pick.  Horford is only signed through next season with a player option for 1 more after that.

Then, if you let Marcus Smart walk - suddenly Boston only has about 72 million on the books.  With the cap set around 102 mil, Boston would now be in position to just offer Bron close to max money.

Crazy, I know.

Especially crazy because then who the heck plays center?  You'd have Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and LeBron.    That's a weird line-up.

So just tack on the ridiculous (probably smokescreen) rumor we want to trade up for Mo Bamba.   Worst-case Boston moves Brown for Bamba.  Suddenly you have Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, LeBron, Bamba. 

So yeah, it's insane, but not THAT insane.  You never know with Ainge.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Cavs are not in a position to ask for anything.  LeBron is an unrestricted free agent.  He can (and probably will) leave them with absolutely nothing this Summer.

My idea was about salary dumping Horford (if you get can back assets, that's ideal) and just signing LeBron outright as a free agent.

When realizing they are on the verge of losing LeBron for nothing, they'd probably opt for a sign-and-trade where they get back something of value.  Sure as hell will not be Jaylen Brown or anything.

Cavs are over the cap and therefore cannot sign and trade unless they get rid of Love or George Hill with LeBron.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
LarBrd once again making me feel conflicted

On the one hand, it’s LeBron and he smells, but on the other, he’s the best basketballer in the world and turns us into title favourites

I’m on board
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I give it a 1% chance and I feel I am being pretty generous.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:29:08 PM by Celtics4ever »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm not advocating we bring Lebron in, but I was just thinking about the potential lineup and roster if they did find a way to land him.

PG: Kyrie/Rozier/Larkin
SG: Jaylen/J. Bird(?)
SF: Lebron/Tatum/Ojeyele
PF: Hayward/Theis
C: Horford/Baynes

Might need to find some way to bring in another backup SG, and I'm assuming we'd bring back Baynes with non-taxpayer raise and Larkin with the minimum. But that team is unstoppable. I'm even willing to say we beat Golden State in 5 with that team (assuming we're healthy of course).

Another ? mark would be, would Lebron fit in to the whole "team basketball" mantra the C's preach and make a few sacrifices along the way. If so, that's a fantastic team. If not (he stays extremely ball dominant), then we could still win but also have many hiccups along the way.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't know whats more insane, bring up a chane that Lebron would come to Boston or bringing up "salary dumping Horford" as a possibility.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he has a no trade gig .   

He will set up his OWN destiny ,   Cavs will have little to no say in what happens ...until James tells them they DO have a say ...

Problem with James is his one year contracts

He needs t sign with Team , GM , coach and program , buy in and act like he wants to be part f something .

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I guess I'm insane. I want to beat Lebron, not see him bring his ring-chasing talents to Boston. Especially not at the cost of one of our core players.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess I'm insane. I want to beat Lebron, not see him bring his ring-chasing talents to Boston. Especially not at the cost of one of our core players.

Yeah, I totally understand not ruining a good thing, but in the end, you play for championships. With GSW showing no signs of slowing down, it is still going to be an uphill battle moving forward.

If signing or trading for Lebron would *guarantee* a championship, then you do it - even at the cost of a core player (I prefer to trade someone like Horford rather than Tatum, obviously). You should consider yourself lucky if your team wins a championship more often than once every 30 years. As much as I hate Lebron, I hate the idea of the Lakers eventually overtaking us for titles more.