Author Topic: thoughts on Dragan Bender?  (Read 7837 times)

Re: thoughts on Dragan Bender?
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
too soon (20 years old) to say what he will become.  He could continue to be underwhelming. Or he could develop into a nice stretch 4/5.

He's been underwhelming to say the least, but the Suns are a dumpster fire. And if they keep progressing as is, especially with top prospect picks, I could eventually imagine Booker isn't going to want to stay too long. They better hope Ayton or Doncic pans out.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He shot 37% from the FT line in his first year, not his second year in which he shot above 70% (clear signs he'll be a potent catch and shooter/shooting big,) and he got severely limited and inconsistent minutes... Like I've said, Bender is a great role player prospect in the mold of today's modern NBA. Is he worth the 4th pick? Absolutely not. And I'm glad Ainge is our GM, because a lot us were vying for Bender.
That's not really true. He played 20+ minutes in 60+ games, including close to 30 mpg in the last couple of months when he was made starter. He was just plain horrible, including a March stint in which he averaged 5.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in nearly 30 mpg over 14 games.

edit: Reading is hard....
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2018, 03:36:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
too soon (20 years old) to say what he will become.  He could continue to be underwhelming. Or he could develop into a nice stretch 4/5.

He's been underwhelming to say the least, but the Suns are a dumpster fire. And if they keep progressing as is, especially with top prospect picks, I could eventually imagine Booker isn't going to want to stay too long. They better hope Ayton or Doncic pans out.

Booker is good. Josh Jackson had a good second half of his rookie season. If they draft right this summer and Jackson comes close to his potential, that's a nice core. Plus TJ Warren is only 25. As bad as they've been, they have a nice hand right now. They just have to play it right.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2018, 05:22:47 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Stiff.
A hot shower might help you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2018, 05:43:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
He shot 37% from the FT line in his first year, not his second year in which he shot above 70% (clear signs he'll be a potent catch and shooter/shooting big,) and he got severely limited and inconsistent minutes... Like I've said, Bender is a great role player prospect in the mold of today's modern NBA. Is he worth the 4th pick? Absolutely not. And I'm glad Ainge is our GM, because a lot us were vying for Bender.
That's not really true. He played 20+ minutes in 60+ games, including close to 30 mpg in the last couple of months when he was made starter. He was just plain horrible, including a March stint in which he averaged 5.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in nearly 30 mpg over 14 games.

edit: Reading is hard....

Because statistics should always be applied and used as the final say to determining the career trajectory, to young bigs like Bender, who is a project, in a really terrible team with coaches getting fired left and right? This is a team that celebrated in lieu of a loss for their star shooting guard scoring 70 points despite the awful display.

Have you actually watched any Suns games? Bender seems lost half of the time, but other half of the times, he's making smart plays.

And oh by the way, reading is hard... Thanks, I appreciate it.

I'm not defending Bender by any means. I'm simply saying his career isn't over. Yet. He's still 20, younger than most of the draft prospects in the league.

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
If I am trading Rozier for a big I want a player like Dwayne Dedmon or JaMychal Green or Bobby Portis coming back. Not a complete scrub like Bender.

A couple of years ago you would have been ridiculed for putting Bender in the same sentence as those guys let alone say he’s a scrub in comparison. I remember reading all of the threads on CB stating he’s a can’t miss prospect. Amazing how times change.

Personally I’ve never been a big Bender fan and was happy that we didn’t draft him. Always seemed like a huge risk as high lotto pick. That said he is 20, is in a terrible situation in PHX and does have upside. If he could become half the defender he was projected to be (and has the tools to be) it’d be worth trading Rozier for. Big risk though.

Exactly! He got more hype than Doncic does this year although he was an end of the bench player playing for a bad euroleague team!

Bender has always been about potential. Based on his physical tools he can be a really good two way player.

He could also marginally improve from where he is now and be an average backup center. I never understood why people felt he was a sure thing (maybe it was a minority on CB I don’t completely remember).  He’s about as risky as they come.

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2018, 06:10:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If I am trading Rozier for a big I want a player like Dwayne Dedmon or JaMychal Green or Bobby Portis coming back. Not a complete scrub like Bender.

A couple of years ago you would have been ridiculed for putting Bender in the same sentence as those guys let alone say he’s a scrub in comparison. I remember reading all of the threads on CB stating he’s a can’t miss prospect. Amazing how times change.

Personally I’ve never been a big Bender fan and was happy that we didn’t draft him. Always seemed like a huge risk as high lotto pick. That said he is 20, is in a terrible situation in PHX and does have upside. If he could become half the defender he was projected to be (and has the tools to be) it’d be worth trading Rozier for. Big risk though.

Exactly! He got more hype than Doncic does this year although he was an end of the bench player playing for a bad euroleague team!
He did NOT get as much hype as Doncic that's totally false. He got talked about more in celtics circles because we had the #3 pick that year but Doncic hype far outpaces Bender hype.

It's not even remotely close.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2018, 06:14:47 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

He did NOT get as much hype as Doncic that's totally false. He got talked about more in celtics circles because we had the #3 pick that year but Doncic hype far outpaces Bender hype.

It's not even remotely close.

Is that a good thing, and to whom does he compare, in your opinion? I only ask because I know next to nothing about the guy, so yeah :).

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2018, 07:22:23 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Years later, he's still a project. He still may be a pre-project, which is nuts b/c he has already been hyped/forgotten about. Bender is only 20 years old. The crazy part is that it could take him another 5-6 years to hit his potential.

In the end, I think he's going to be like Mirotic- a nice stretch big man that can shoot.

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Doncic deserves more hype as he has produced more on the court.   Bender hype was more about his potential than his ability, and at the end of the day it seems like there is not as much as many hoped in terms of potential.   Doncic has far more basketball ability.  I tend to favor US guys over foriegn players as I am from the USA and we have faired well in competition.   I am not hyping Doncic, but I pointing out that there never was much out there with Bender.  More guys fail than succeed in terms of the draft and the signs were there on Dragan.

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2018, 04:49:09 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
he's a bust, been on a bad team for two years with plenty of opportunities and still showed no progress. He was hyped up because of Prozingis, if the unicorn never happened Bender is a late first rounder at best.

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2018, 08:02:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Anytime a guy hides from workouts I worry what they are hiding.

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2018, 09:44:24 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Stiff.
A hot shower might help you.

No help needed.

I dubbed Bender the "Euromistake" and I could not have been more correct.

The guy is, as Nick puts it, a "complete scrub."
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2018, 09:48:07 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Pass
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Anytime a guy hides from workouts I worry what they are hiding.

Could you give some other examples of players that have done so?