Author Topic: thoughts on Dragan Bender?  (Read 7838 times)

Re: thoughts on Dragan Bender?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 06:02:51 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61awo7qBh3c

here are his highlights from the past season...

These are highlights?

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2018, 06:05:00 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I've watched a few Phoenix Suns highlights and games when I was bored and pretty high lol. This is my take from Bender.

1) He needs to bulk up or add more weight. Gets bullied way too easy against stronger opponents, and while he has the foot and lateral speed to keep up with most 4's and even 1-3's, and fits the profile for switch defense to a T. He seems to get lost and not realize he is 7 foot tall. He's agile, more along the lines of quick when switching or rotating back on defense. Problem is, he still far too skinny to guard big men down the post.

2) For a shooter who has shot 37% on 3 attempts, he's already has the great shooting form, and prowess and passing ability to end up as a great above average role player.

3) He has good straight line speed, but he's so atrociously inefficient in every facet of functional areas of athleticism. Terrible stone hands. Couldn't catch at times, fumbled the ball on rebounds, and he just seemed nervous at times when trying to create for himself and others.

4) He has no left hand ability, or dexterity. Meaning he does at time make terrible plays and seem to be unable to use his body control to pivot or change direction. But there is certainly promise, and plenty of potential as he seems to run up and down extremely well.

5) I don't get why he doesn't jump up strong at times. Not explosive, physically weak, and gets blocked by players shorter than him.

6) His defense, and ability to make smart plays/passes tells me that he'll eventually learn how to become a great 3 and D big man. The problem is, for a 4th pick, is he even worth that pick? I would safely say no. Him and Kristap were compared the same, but KP blows him out in literally every statistical category, and is the far more superior player. Dragan needs to add more muscle, improve his court awareness, and just work on being able to create more space. At this point he's a catch and shoot player that can occasionally score on the defense.

He has shown a lot of promise in the 2nd year, dropping 20/5/4 on the Thunder, and scoring 16 right after that game. But in no way, and in no universe is Brown ever going to get traded for him. Brown is clearly the superior prospect and it's not even close.

That being said, I really like Bender. He could fit in our system like a glove, and Stevens could do wonders for his BBIQ. He has shown high levels of intellect, I think it's more along the lines of having competent teammates to pass to, and being able to develop more go to moves or dribble moves or handles. And surprisingly, everyone that has come into the Celtics improve their handles by a little bit. Bender could effectively become a perfect role player. He just needs the right system.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2018, 06:13:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I didn't care for his game before the draft, and nothing has changed my mind.  I never understood the hype.

Pretty much my thinking all along.

poor man s KO in a few years maybe.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 06:26:58 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2018, 06:55:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If he had been drafted by the Celts or a team like the Jazz or Spurs, I bet he'd already be a useful 20 mpg contributor by now.
And you base this on what? He averaged 25 mpg last season with Phoenix and was largely awful.

He's young and skilled and the Suns are a trainwreck.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2018, 07:04:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Darko 2.0. Celtics dodged a huge bomb there.

Tell this to Eddi20

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 07:12:40 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I've watched a few Phoenix Suns highlights and games when I was bored and pretty high lol.

Lol, TP ;D.

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2018, 07:18:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If he had been drafted by the Celts or a team like the Jazz or Spurs, I bet he'd already be a useful 20 mpg contributor by now.
And you base this on what? He averaged 25 mpg last season with Phoenix and was largely awful.

He's young and skilled and the Suns are a trainwreck.

Yeah, it seems like the Suns are getting perilously close to Sterling-era Clippers futility / Ranadive-era Kings futility.  If I was a top NBA prospect, that is one of the last teams I'd want to be drafted by.

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2018, 08:27:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His skill set reminds me of Saric, only Saric has more dog in him thus far.

What skillset are we speaking of because Saric is a 100% better player.

If he could develop to become that type of player, would not mind trading Terry plus to land him

This is so hilarious, your sarcasm is so funny,   if you're serious I really feel sorry for you.

Looks like some of his fans that wanted him drafted still can't see the writing on the wall.   There is a reason they hid him in workouts, he stunk and they wanted him to be drafted as high as possible....   That is usually the case when guys hide, they have something to hide.

the kid has underperformed in his first two seasons, but it often takes big men more time to mature and develop opposed to guards. Bender won't be 21 until November, and I still think he has a lot of untapped potential.

You're right he might make a fine waiter some day...

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2018, 09:48:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
His skill set reminds me of Saric, only Saric has more dog in him thus far.

What skillset are we speaking of because Saric is a 100% better player.

If he could develop to become that type of player, would not mind trading Terry plus to land him

This is so hilarious, your sarcasm is so funny,   if you're serious I really feel sorry for you.

Looks like some of his fans that wanted him drafted still can't see the writing on the wall.   There is a reason they hid him in workouts, he stunk and they wanted him to be drafted as high as possible....   That is usually the case when guys hide, they have something to hide.

the kid has underperformed in his first two seasons, but it often takes big men more time to mature and develop opposed to guards. Bender won't be 21 until November, and I still think he has a lot of untapped potential.

You're right he might make a fine waiter some day...

You crack me up man.

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If I am trading Rozier for a big I want a player like Dwayne Dedmon or JaMychal Green or Bobby Portis coming back. Not a complete scrub like Bender.

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2018, 09:59:40 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
If I am trading Rozier for a big I want a player like Dwayne Dedmon or JaMychal Green or Bobby Portis coming back. Not a complete scrub like Bender.

A couple of years ago you would have been ridiculed for putting Bender in the same sentence as those guys let alone say he’s a scrub in comparison. I remember reading all of the threads on CB stating he’s a can’t miss prospect. Amazing how times change.

Personally I’ve never been a big Bender fan and was happy that we didn’t draft him. Always seemed like a huge risk as high lotto pick. That said he is 20, is in a terrible situation in PHX and does have upside. If he could become half the defender he was projected to be (and has the tools to be) it’d be worth trading Rozier for. Big risk though.

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2018, 12:03:45 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Bender went from shooting .277 in year one from 3 to shooting .366 in year two. Freethrows .364 to .765.  He could still be a player. A role player but possible a solid one.  He was always going to be a project. He's not Darko bad because he can shoot.

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2018, 12:05:54 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Bender went from shooting .277 in year one from 3 to shooting .366 in year two. Freethrows .364 to .765.  He could still be a player. A role player but possible a solid one.  He was always going to be a project.

He only took 11 free throws during his rookie year? ;) ;D

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2018, 12:08:45 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Bender went from shooting .277 in year one from 3 to shooting .366 in year two. Freethrows .364 to .765.  He could still be a player. A role player but possible a solid one.  He was always going to be a project.

Took 51 in year two.

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2018, 12:53:53 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Took 51 in year two.

Ouch, lol ;D.