Author Topic: thoughts on Dragan Bender?  (Read 7934 times)

Re: thoughts on Dragan Bender?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 02:28:01 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
He appears to be a bust thus far. He has a lot to prove to remain in the league.

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 02:41:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
the kid has underperformed in his first two seasons, but it often takes big men more time to mature and develop opposed to guards. Bender won't be 21 until November, and I still think he has a lot of untapped potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61awo7qBh3c

here are his highlights from the past season...

I will admit that he does not look as agile as he was advertised coming out of the draft, but he still has an intriguing skillset that would suit this team well. I also think having the opportunity to be taken under the wing of Al Horford while being coached by Stevens would do wonders for his development.

Perhaps the Suns will attempt to get some value in return for him if they draft Ayton (which I'm assuming they will)? A young team can only handle so many young projects at once and they already have Booker, Jackson, Chriss...

Am I wrong to think a Rozier for Bender swap could benefit both teams?

Just glad the Celts didn't draft him

Rozier for Bender? you kidding me

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I have no thoughts of Dragan Bender other than does he even get minutes on a terrible team?

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 03:22:48 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Darko 2.0. Celtics dodged a huge bomb there.

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 03:28:44 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Saw the Suns play in LA this year and focused on Bender and Jackson, wondering how they would fit on the Celtics:

Both players looked completely lost on offense, unsure of what their role was. This I blame on coaching, as the Suns were a total mess.

Bender - very timid in crashing the boards; appeared to be confused when he received the ball, unsure of whether to drive or shoot a jumper; his passes were a step-behind, either missing the cutting man by being too slow or having the pass intercepted. He was poorly paired with Chandler and played self-consciously

Jackson - really needs to add weight; had good instincts but the quickness of the NBA game hinders his quick first step and he needs a little bit of muscle/mass to bang with; was unafraid to keep shooting when missing; tried to make things happen on a very poorly coached team

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 03:29:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 03:33:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I didn't care for his game before the draft, and nothing has changed my mind.  I never understood the hype.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 04:07:58 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
His name is better than his game.

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 04:14:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I didn't care for his game before the draft, and nothing has changed my mind. I never understood the hype.
Tremendous upside potential (tm).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 04:14:57 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Name reminds me of Jonathan Bender

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 05:16:48 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I'll be honest, the highlight reel from the OP is more impressive than I expected. Most of the shots were uncontested spot up jumpers, but there were a few nice drives to the basket sprinkled in with some nice passes in there too. I didn't like him in the draft and I'm glad he's not on the Celtics, but does look like he'll be a serviceable big man, which I didn't expect.

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 05:22:20 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Fringe NBA player.  Never plays a meaningful minute on a contender.

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
the kid has underperformed in his first two seasons, but it often takes big men more time to mature and develop opposed to guards. Bender won't be 21 until November, and I still think he has a lot of untapped potential.
We doing this again? The kid hasn't underperformed. He's performed exactly as many around here thought he would, the second coming of Bruno Sundov.
bruno and bender are not a good comparison to make your point here koz.

bruno sundov career stats, 7 seasons:
min/g = 5.1
pts/g = 1.7
rb/g = 1
3pt% = 20.6%

dragan bender career stats, 2 seasons:
min/g = 21.1
pts/g = 5.4
rb/g = 3.7
3pt% = 34.5%

and honestly, i do think bender will improve. he did from year 1 to year 2 already. how much? i cant tell.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2018, 05:52:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Admittedly have not watched him play much last two seasons.  His skill set intrigued me during draft, he and jaylen were my two favs in '16.

His skill set reminds me of Saric, only Saric has more dog in him thus far.  If he could develop to become that type of player, would not mind trading Terry plus to land him.  Problem is, Terry has fulfilled his promise, and Dragan, so far, has not.  He'd probably be a much better fit on Celtics than he is on Suns. (who wouldn't be??)

I'm going to plead temporary insanity suggesting we consider trading Rozier plus for Bender.  I get too caught up in trade - draft frenzy sometimes!