Author Topic: thoughts on Dragan Bender?  (Read 7919 times)

thoughts on Dragan Bender?
« on: June 04, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
the kid has underperformed in his first two seasons, but it often takes big men more time to mature and develop opposed to guards. Bender won't be 21 until November, and I still think he has a lot of untapped potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61awo7qBh3c

here are his highlights from the past season...

I will admit that he does not look as agile as he was advertised coming out of the draft, but he still has an intriguing skillset that would suit this team well. I also think having the opportunity to be taken under the wing of Al Horford while being coached by Stevens would do wonders for his development.

Perhaps the Suns will attempt to get some value in return for him if they draft Ayton (which I'm assuming they will)? A young team can only handle so many young projects at once and they already have Booker, Jackson, Chriss...

Am I wrong to think a Rozier for Bender swap could benefit both teams?

Re: thoughts on Dragan Bender?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I haven't watched him play enough to judge him.  Can he defend bigs down low?  Can he defend wings or guards on the perimeter?

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 12:52:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I really like Bender coming out. Jaylen and Bender were my favorites for our pick. I knew Bender would be a project but he was also a possible unicorn. I think he'll have a 10 year career as a 3 and D center if he can improve on both the 3 and The D.

He got a lot bigger.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 12:53:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Still super raw.

Might help a team win someday.

I still think he has potential to be a valuable glue guy.

He went to one of the worst situations in the league and unsurprisingly has had a rough start to his career.

I'd guess 50/50 as to whether he figures it out and becomes a valuable role player / borderline starter in the league or if he drops out of the NBA and ends up being a prominent player overseas.

If he had been drafted by the Celts or a team like the Jazz or Spurs, I bet he'd already be a useful 20 mpg contributor by now.

As rough as he's been, he did shoot 36% from three last year on 3.9 attempts per game at age 20.  He's over seven feet tall.  That combination of size and shooting has value in today's league, so I expect he'll continue to get chances.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I still like Bender. I don't think his ceiling is as high as was speculated coming in to the league. But he's going to be better the next couple of years. Environment is key. Get him out of Phoenix imo.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 12:55:16 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
I haven't watched him play enough to judge him.  Can he defend bigs down low?  Can he defend wings or guards on the perimeter?

He needs to bulk up more to bang down low, but other than that he is a very versatile defender with timing and instincts you just cant teach. His potential impact defensively is a much taller (and much better looking) Draymond Green.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 12:59:01 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Nobody has seen him actually play....

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 01:01:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Thoughts? THANK GOD we took Jaylen instead of Bender back in 2016  ;D

The love-fest for drafting "unicorn" Bender on here that year was insane, or the idea that we should have traded #3 (Dunn) + 2017 BKN Pick (Tatum) + Crowder + Smart for Jimmy Buckets  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 01:09:20 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He's essentially Jonas Jerebko right now. He moves the ball well on offense and makes good reads. He's a decent shooter. He can't create much offense, although there is some untapped potential there.

His defense is much more difficult to evaluate because the Suns might have had the worst defense ever this past year. How much of that is players and how much of that is coaching is a real question.

He shows decent on ball shot-blocking ability. He's a average (at best) rebounder for the "swing" position. I tend to think that he is high IQ on both sides of the court, but with the defense in shambles every possession, his correct positioning helps very little.

At best he is a high level role player. Jonas Jerebko-strong. I think there are other players that would be better targets. The nice thing about Bender is that you get him for +1 year on a rookie contract. Still, I think the Celtics could pick up a 1st round pick or a better player on a rookie contract than Bender.

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 01:12:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think if a player is under 23 and played fewer than 4 seasons, you can't totally discount him if he's shown any kind of abilities.

But it probably means something that almost all of the highlights in that video in the OP are spot up jumpers.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 01:23:01 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
He's essentially Jonas Jerebko right now. He moves the ball well on offense and makes good reads. He's a decent shooter. He can't create much offense, although there is some untapped potential there.

His defense is much more difficult to evaluate because the Suns might have had the worst defense ever this past year. How much of that is players and how much of that is coaching is a real question.

He shows decent on ball shot-blocking ability. He's a average (at best) rebounder for the "swing" position. I tend to think that he is high IQ on both sides of the court, but with the defense in shambles every possession, his correct positioning helps very little.

At best he is a high level role player. Jonas Jerebko-strong. I think there are other players that would be better targets. The nice thing about Bender is that you get him for +1 year on a rookie contract. Still, I think the Celtics could pick up a 1st round pick or a better player on a rookie contract than Bender.

out of curiosity, who do you view as a better target as far as bigs go?

personally i'd love to see a Rozier and Yabusele for Sabonis trade, but doubt Indy would go for it  :(

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 01:23:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
the kid has underperformed in his first two seasons, but it often takes big men more time to mature and develop opposed to guards. Bender won't be 21 until November, and I still think he has a lot of untapped potential.
We doing this again? The kid hasn't underperformed. He's performed exactly as many around here thought he would, the second coming of Bruno Sundov.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 01:31:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If he had been drafted by the Celts or a team like the Jazz or Spurs, I bet he'd already be a useful 20 mpg contributor by now.
And you base this on what? He averaged 25 mpg last season with Phoenix and was largely awful.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 01:34:19 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

out of curiosity, who do you view as a better target as far as bigs go?

personally i'd love to see a Rozier and Yabusele for Sabonis trade, but doubt Indy would go for it  :(

Well, we could sign either Okafor, Vonleh, or Len to a make-good contract. They are all young players with some upside. If you sign them, you don't have to trade away assets.

As far as trades go, I think it'd be best to trade Rozier for a mid-first rounder this year and draft a young big. I'm not a fan of Williams, Robinson, or Wagner. I do like Spellman. If Ainge felt like he could get value in one of those players (or a guard like Zhaire Smith), I'd be all for it.

I also am very high on Yabusele. We may have a young big on our roster already.

As far as a trade for a young big goes, Patton, Deyonte Davis,. Hermangomez, and even Labissierre are all possibilities.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't do anything with Rozier unless he could be part of a package for another pick piece or future draft pick.

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 02:26:11 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Admittedly have not watched him play much last two seasons.  His skill set intrigued me during draft, he and jaylen were my two favs in '16.

His skill set reminds me of Saric, only Saric has more dog in him thus far.  If he could develop to become that type of player, would not mind trading Terry plus to land him.  Problem is, Terry has fulfilled his promise, and Dragan, so far, has not.  He'd probably be a much better fit on Celtics than he is on Suns. (who wouldn't be??)