Author Topic: How long do you expect this Warriors dynasty to last?  (Read 4392 times)

Re: How long do you expect this Warriors dynasty to last?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 11:28:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think much of it depends on as to how long Iguodala can continue to play, although it's kind of pathetic that they rely on him so much, and especially in the latter stages of his career, imo. Plus, how will they replace David West? Will Jordan Bell be able to fill the void? In some categories, yes, but they'll obviously need to continue to find those quality players to have off of the bench in order to increase their depth, moving forward. Perhaps they should sign Seth Curry :P. I'm not even a fan of the Warriors and I think that that would be pretty cool, lol ;D.

That aside, Myers has definitely learned a lot from Jerry West, so I would anticipate the team being able to continue to draft well, regardless of position. The real test, though, going forward, will be in terms of Green and Thompson, imo. As long as they stay elite, defensively, the Warriors will continue to be at least extremely difficult to beat, but if they start slipping, teams are going to be able to take advantage of Curry, quite obviously, so we'll see.

Honestly, I really don't care, lol, but I can see this group potentially winding up with a total of six championships. Ugh.
3 more rings after this one?? Jeesh, really can't see that happening

Why not? In three years, Curry and Durant, as their elder statesmen ;D, will both still only be 33 years old, and given that they make their jobs so much easier, as long as Golden State continues to have the depth that they've enjoyed up until this point, I see no excuse(s) for them not to be able to finish their run with six rings.

That is, unless Boston does something about it ;) ;D.
Durant and Steph will be 30 at the start of next season.

Michael Jordan won his last title at age 35 and probably had a couple more years in him had the league not reached a lockout and the Bulls ownership decided to blow it up.

Durant/Steph could theoretically win this one
And then win 2019 at age 30
And then win 2020 at age 31
And then win 2021 at age 32
And then win 2022 at age 33
And then win 2023 at age 34
And then win 2024 at age 35

But because these dudes are shooters, they could have Ray Allen/Reggie Miller longevity where they are still playing at a high level draining threes at age 38

So maybe they win 2025 at age 36
And maybe they win 2026 at age 37
And maybe they win 2027 at age 38

By then, Steph would surpass Bill Russell's 11 titles by winning #12.   Durant would have 11.

Lol

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 11:31:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think much of it depends on as to how long Iguodala can continue to play, although it's kind of pathetic that they rely on him so much, and especially in the latter stages of his career, imo. Plus, how will they replace David West? Will Jordan Bell be able to fill the void? In some categories, yes, but they'll obviously need to continue to find those quality players to have off of the bench in order to increase their depth, moving forward. Perhaps they should sign Seth Curry :P. I'm not even a fan of the Warriors and I think that that would be pretty cool, lol ;D.

That aside, Myers has definitely learned a lot from Jerry West, so I would anticipate the team being able to continue to draft well, regardless of position. The real test, though, going forward, will be in terms of Green and Thompson, imo. As long as they stay elite, defensively, the Warriors will continue to be at least extremely difficult to beat, but if they start slipping, teams are going to be able to take advantage of Curry, quite obviously, so we'll see.

Honestly, I really don't care, lol, but I can see this group potentially winding up with a total of six championships. Ugh.
Maybe more.

If they were actually able to keep their Big 4 together, they could still be competitive in 2025.  At that point, they'd be the same age as the Big 3 Celtics in 2012 when they went to the ECF.

With whom can they replace Iguodala and West, though? Of those on the list of free agents that you provided, none of those guys have the ability to replicate his impact and skills, imo.

Still, strange, not to mention cruel, things happen. With the addition of Len Bias in 1986, for example, did anyone think that the Celtics would not win another title for 22 years?

I'm not expecting someone to die, nor am I hoping for anything remotely similar to occur, down the road, but who knows? It only takes the movement of one player to completely change the landscape of the league. I mean, did anyone see Chris Paul being traded to Houston, last year?

Anyway, my point is, Sith happens :P.

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2018, 11:34:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Maybe more.

If they were actually able to keep their Big 4 together, they could still be competitive in 2025.  At that point, they'd be the same age as the Big 3 Celtics in 2012 when they went to the ECF.

With whom can they replace Iguodala and West, though? Of those on the list of free agents that you provided, none of those guys have the ability to replicate his impact and skills, imo.

Still, strange, not to mention cruel, things happen. With the addition of Len Bias in 1986, for example, did anyone think that the Celtics would not win another title for 22 years?

I'm not expecting someone to die, nor am I hoping for anything remotely similar to occur, down the road, but who knows? It only takes the movement of one player to completely change the landscape of the league. I mean, did anyone see Chris Paul being traded to Houston, last year?

Asking who will replace Iguodala and West is like asking who is going to replace Delonte as LeBron's sidekick on the 2009 Cavs.  Who cares.  Superstars are who matter.  If the Warriors keep their Big 4 in-tact, they could have a scary run. 

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2018, 11:35:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Why not? In three years, Curry and Durant, as their elder statesmen ;D, will both still only be 33 years old, and given that they make their jobs so much easier, as long as Golden State continues to have the depth that they've enjoyed up until this point, I see no excuse(s) for them not to be able to finish their run with six rings.

Michael Jordan won his last title at age 35 and probably had a couple more years in him had the league not reached a lockout and the Bulls ownership decided to blow it up.

But because these dudes are shooters, they could have Ray Allen/Reggie Miller longevity where they are still playing at a high level draining threes at age 38

By then, Steph would surpass Bill Russell's 11 titles by winning #12.   Durant would have 11.

Lol
Frankly I see this as nigh on impossible. I could see Steph ending up with 4, maybe 5 rings max. I think once 2020 hits, assuming we have the same core, same coach and are as healthy as GSW are, we're better than them
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 11:40:19 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Are the warriors going to give Durant and Thompson supermax deals? If not, are they going to be happy with Curry making 10 to 15 million more per season over the next four years.

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 11:51:24 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Lol

I somewhat agree about Jordan, but remember that he greatly benefited from the time away from basketball in terms of reducing the residual wear and tear on his body, which undoubtedly helped him throughout Chicago's second three-peat.

At the same time, however, after all of those deep postseason runs, Scottie Pippen had already started breaking down, to a degree, as early as 1996, not to mention the fact that Rodman turned 37 in 1998, so how much did he have left, at that point? A year, maybe, and more importantly, have would they have been able to possibly replace him, moving forward? The shortened season probably would have greatly helped Chicago's aging core and allowed them to squeeze out one last title, but beyond that, I have my doubts, and don't forget, Jordan sliced the index finger on his shooting hand with a cigar cutter during the celebration in 1998, which definitely had an impact on his shooting percentage when he came out of retirement to play with the Wizards, so I really don't know. I wasn't even watching the NBA at that point, so I'll defer to you, and anyone/everyone else, on that one, lol.

As for the Warriors, I can see Durant experiencing that kind of longevity, but Curry will always be a concern owing to his lack of durability, and what happens when Green loses a step? He makes them go, and therefore, if he can't continue at his current pace for more than a couple more seasons, everything could potentially come crashing down.

Like, if he can't play at the 4/5, where does he, well, play, save for in a reserve capacity? I just don't know, although I'm sure that Myers has already envisioned a future lineup of Curry, Thompson, Durant, Green, and Bell, but again, how do they continue to maintain their exceptional bench play down the road without Iguodala and West?   

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 11:54:03 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Maybe more.

Asking who will replace Iguodala and West is like asking who is going to replace Delonte as LeBron's sidekick on the 2009 Cavs.  Who cares.  Superstars are who matter.  If the Warriors keep their Big 4 in-tact, they could have a scary run.

Umm, no, like not even close, imo. They need those dudes, and depth matters, otherwise the residual wear and tear will only accelerate and potentially prevent them from being able to continue their run.

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 11:57:50 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Celtics smash them next season

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 12:00:10 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228

Maybe more.

Umm, no, like not even close, imo. They need those dudes, and depth matters, otherwise the residual wear and tear will only accelerate and potentially prevent them from being able to continue their run.

Can they afford to pay Durant and Thompson what they are paying Curry though?

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 12:19:23 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I don’t see a dynasty

The warriors barely squeaked through the rockets in a “close half the game ” game 7

The Cavs got lucky against the pacers in a game 7 and the Celtics in a game 7

These 2 teams had incredible luck to meet again this year.  Dynasty would steamroll to the finals

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 12:25:04 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Until the Cs win banner 18 next year...

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 12:51:10 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
When we beat them after Bron comes next year.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 12:58:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think they'll be at least in the running to make the Finals for another 3-5 years.

Keep in mind when I say "they" I mean the Warriors, not necessarily Curry-Klay-KD-Dray.

It would surprise me if all four of those guys are still on the Warriors for more than another year or so.  I just think they'll get bored and need to shake things up a little.

My guess is eventually KD and Draymond end up elsewhere but the Splash Brothers are Warriors for life.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 12:58:53 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Maybe more.

Can they afford to pay Durant and Thompson what they are paying Curry though?

I have no idea.

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2018, 01:10:16 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
**** healthy Cs end them starting next season, if they make it (of course, if we do too). They barely made it there this season, who knows what would have happened if CP3 hadn't been hurt.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)