Author Topic: Theis was THE steal-really wish he got playoff time  (Read 2583 times)

Theis was THE steal-really wish he got playoff time
« on: June 02, 2018, 06:09:27 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
He was just coming into his own.He was comfortable with his teammates.His timing,his setting screens and his shot was beginning to fall.His defense  and length would have put us in the finals.
I started following him after he blocked Zizic three times during a possession Euro League playoffs.
Never did i dream he would be a shoot blocker ,defensive NBA player guarding multiple positions this quickly.

How good is Jabari Bird.Do we really need another guard?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 03:18:32 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Theis was THE steal-really wish he got playoff time
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 06:12:28 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
He was just coming into his own.He was comfortable with his teammates.His timing,his setting screens and his shot was beginning to fall.His defense  and length would have put us in the finals.
I started following him after he blocked Zizic three times during a possession Euro League playoffs.
Never did i dream he would be a shoot blocker ,defensive NBA player guarding multiple positions this quickly.

How good is Jabari Bird.Do we really need another guard/shooting guard

I love Theis. I hope he gets healthy quick and stays healthy. Not sure what you are saying about Jabari Bird or why but I know you have been a Nader supporter and I would take Bird  over Naader in a heartbeat. Nader is HORRIBLE. He is an automatic turnover as soon as he gets into the game.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 06:24:15 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
agree
hope they find another steal this summer

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 02:58:01 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Stopped being a Nader supporter/reporter long ago.That support started in first Summer League through G League.Back in the day of James Young and i thought Nader better.Used both hands to close and hit threes,ran the point for Red Claws and had a -7-1 wingspan.
He had a very poor rookie season.Bot he did get to hoop but he rushed and forced his finishing,got caught in air often.Hope that was just rookie season from late round pick but it was a very poor showing and have to agree again with Eddie's harsh assessment on this one.

In answer to the reason why i added Jabari Bird. There is quite a bit of focus on adding another guard in mock drafts and i have not followed his play.
We still need a big and Theis is coming off an injury and Baynes may get an offer.So best athlete available may get trumped by need for a big.
So i was looking for thoughts on Jabari and the roster situation.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 03:17:06 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 05:27:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would rather see them keep Bird and let Nader walk this year.   Nader gives a  practice body that I am sure that is competitive.  I think Bird could give the same thing.  Nader is a better scorer at the pro level than Bird  and Bird is a better defender but both of these guys are end of the bench types.  Nader does not play a lick of D and is a selfish guy who always tries to be the man once he gets into a game.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 06:25:36 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I would rather see them keep Bird and let Nader walk this year.   Nader gives a  practice body that I am sure that is competitive.  I think Bird could give the same thing.  Nader is a better scorer at the pro level than Bird  and Bird is a better defender but both of these guys are end of the bench types.  Nader does not play a lick of D and is a selfish guy who always tries to be the man once he gets into a game.
Bird imo has potential to be 3 and D, he navigates his way off ball to open baskets quite well in the games I have watched.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 06:29:52 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Nader did not show selfishness in college or at his first Summer League but at Red Claws he was asked to be a scorer and facilitator when their point guard went down. They turned him into a point forward and scorer.
I liked his first summer league where he took what was given but that changed in Maine he was tasked to attack and shoot constant three's.
Unless he can get his three  point percentage up and can close like he did in Maine and stop showing negative emotion and body language on court-he is a goner.
I don't know how many baskets he blew that he made last year.Obviously they wanted him aggressive or selfish-he just didn't flip the switch and it was hard to watch.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 08:38:57 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 07:51:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Nader did not show selfishness in college or at Summer League but at Red Claws he was asked to be a scorer and facilitator when their point guard went down. They turned him into a point forward and scorer

I think he did play selfish in summer league, the guy is a ballhog or a kid who thinks he can shoot himself into the league.

The real problem with Nader is a lack of foot speed and effort on defense.  This is the real knock on him as a player, he is aggressive on offense, but a complete dud on defense.   I think his shot is ok.   But watching guys go around you is a big no no for a defensive minded coach like CBS.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 08:27:11 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Agreed, Nader has the physically profile that Stevens loves but below average basketball skills.  I do think Nader is an NBA player and could bounce around the league for years to come, but I don't think he's ever going to be a meaningful contributor on this team.

Bird flashed enough last year that I'm intrigued by his potential. 

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 08:37:17 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Nader did not show selfishness in college or at Summer League but at Red Claws he was asked to be a scorer and facilitator when their point guard went down. They turned him into a point forward and scorer

I think he did play selfish in summer league, the guy is a ballhog or a kid who thinks he can shoot himself into the league.

The real problem with Nader is a lack of foot speed and effort on defense.  This is the real knock on him as a player, he is aggressive on offense, but a complete dud on defense.   I think his shot is ok.   But watching guys go around you is a big no no for a defensive minded coach like CBS.
Interest started in his first summer league and led to his signing with Red Claws.His first summer league saw no selfishness.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 04:52:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Interest started in his first summer league and led to his signing with Red Claws.His first summer league saw no selfishness.

How games did you see over in England?   I saw them all and this kid is a black hole who

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2016/statistics/las_vegas/

.8 APG  with 20 minutes play per game is really sharing the ball.  I watched the games and I saw a guy trying to shoot it almost every shot.  Now I realize summer league is guard centric league but it is utterly preposterous to say he shared the ball given that stat.

Here are some of highlights of those games, note guys open and uncontested or cutting to the hole and Nader shoots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvH5tK72-l0

Tell you don't see passing lanes and wide open guys on some of these plays.

Also he had 52 FG attempts during Summer league and Rozier had 29, go figure.  Brown had 67 but he was a number three pick that year.   These are on the stat sheets I provided.  Your memory does not match the stat lines, sorry.  Mine does.

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 09:49:19 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
I have stated all year THEIS was a steal and only getting better. wait til he hits 3 pointers consistently
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 07:17:24 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I have stated all year THEIS was a steal and only getting better. wait til he hits 3 pointers consistently

great find for sure last summer, remember when it wasn't even a certainty that he would make the roster   :D

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 08:17:38 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553

great find for sure last summer, remember when it wasn't even a certainty that he would make the roster   :D

yeah he really was a pleasant surprise.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 08:29:04 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Bird imo has potential to be 3 and D, he navigates his way off ball to open baskets quite well in the games I have watched.

Bird certainly demonstrated enough to me to make me think he has potential.  I was surprised that his 3 point shooting was so poor in Maine (32.5%),  but his shot looks good, and his mid range and free throw shooting are solid.  His athleticism gives him good defensive potential as well.  Shoot a ton of 3's this off season Jabari!

High on Theis as well, he's another good athlete who has a good looking shot that just needs consistency.  We'll need a couple guys like these two to step up if we're going to get 18.