Author Topic: What's your best-case scenario for this offseason?  (Read 8556 times)

Re: What's your best-case scenario for this offseason?
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2018, 11:46:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
With all the Lebron to Boston talk.....where are we sending Kyrie in this scenario? I'm not really asking. It's just rhetorical.

Let's kill the Lebron talk. Not because he's really, really good but because of reality.
I had him going to the Spurs for Irving Leonard.
I definitely missed the "dreamland scenario".
thanks for the typo fix.

yeah, I'd feel pretty darn good about this team - Mills, Hayward, Leonard, James, Baynes with Brown, Smart, Rozier, Morris and Theis, Semi, Monroe, FA/Rookie.  Team still has some nice assets and you still have all of the future 1st rounders should someone like Davis become available. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:53:22 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2018, 11:58:05 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Realistic Best Case
1. Irving and Hayward are both 100% by the start of the season
2. Lebron signs with Lakers or some other western team that isn't the Rockets or Warriors (or if he stays in the East stays in Cleveland)
3. Sixers strike out in free agency and don't acquire anyone in trades (like say Leonard)
4. Smart signs for the qualifying offer
5. Baynes comes back at the MLE

Dreamland Best case
1a. James agrees to a sign and trade for Horford and Tatum
1b. Leonard and Mills are acquired for Irving, BOS 1st, filler
3. Smart re-signs on a reasonable deal, say 4 year, 40 million
4. Baynes re-signs for MLE
5. Monroe re-signs at 20% for 1 year, with a team option for year 2

What. The. !@#$?

Unbelievable. Everything Celticsclay has said about you is right. This is just awful.
what are you talking about?  You don't want the best player on the planet on this team.  I guess you don't want to win titles and compete with Golden State.

LeBron James decides to leave Cleveland, picks Boston, and out of the goodness of our hearts we give them a premium asset for it? Whats the matter with you?
Why does Cleveland facilitate a sign and trade if they don't get anything of value?  They would just tell Boston to f-off because Boston can't sign him outright.  It has nothing to do with goodness of hearts, it has to do with the simple reality that unless Boston gives up value, then Boston can't sign and trade for James.

So Lebron to Houston isn't a possibility either. No way Cleveland does a sign and trade and take back Anderson's contract. Unless Capela is included they don't do it.

I'd consider Smart S&T, Morris, Yabusele and 2 future picks.

If they want a max player on our team or Jaylen or Tatum, they can kick rocks.

How often do sign and trades involve the team acquiring said-player to give up multiple PREMIUM assets anyways??
Cavs will be in the luxury tax and thus can't sign and trade for a player, thus they can't acquire Smart.  The only way Boston could create the salary needed to acquire James is by including Horford (or Hayward).  In the scenario I posed, Boston would have James, Leonard, Hayward, and Brown (along with Morris and Smart) for the 3 wing positions.  There just aren't enough minutes to go around.  Now sure, if you'd rather include Brown instead of Tatum, that works just fine for me, but I'd rather have kept the guy that could play and guard SG's then the guy that couldn't from a team construction stand point. 

Houston can take back some crappy salary from the Cavs, like JR Smith, which makes it more likely a trade situation.  Boston can't really do that.  But yeah, that is the biggest impediment to James ending up in Houston because they either have to acquire by a sign and trade or lose Capela, Ariza, etc. and basically gut their team.

The Cavs could take back Smart if he were paid around $17 million.  That’s not the problem.  The problem, as I’ve been saying since last off-season, is that because of the base-year compensation rule, Smart’s salary is next to impossible to use in a sign-and trade, because from the Celtics’ perspective his salary only counts as half when determining how much they trade back.  So if the Cabs overpaid Smart a little and have him $17 million next year, it would only count as tho the Celtics were sending out $8.5 million.  Even if the Cavs made room to give Smart the max in Phantom’s proposal, the Celtics still wouldn’t be sending out enough to bring back James.  They couldn’t even afford Otto Porter.

Please, everyone, stop sending out Smart in sign-and-trade deals.  Phantom, I know I’ve made this correction to you before.

Oh my bad... now I remember you telling me this @salt  :(

WELP. That means this is virtually impossible unless LBJ signs with MLE (lol), or he opts-out and re-signs for 20-25M/Year and that makes it a "manageable" trade for Ainge to try without gutting the main core.

Wait, that is allowed right? James Opts-out, CLE "re-signs" him around 20M/Year then is sent in a S&T?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2018, 12:07:04 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
You need at least 1 or maybe 2 Veteran's off the bench who can create and score. How many times are we going to watch the second unit not be able to score?

There are enough young players on the roster. Time to find a Vet

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2018, 12:19:22 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Sign Lebron James.
Draft Mo Bamba.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
The Celtics DO NOT need Lebron James to make it to the finals, we just need to stay healthy with our current cast of characters.

We probably would've taken Cleveland out in 5 games if Kyrie and Gordon Hayward were healthy this year, 6 if just Kyrie. No way in heck I would cough up Tatum in any deal for Lebron James... Talk about throwing away the future for a quick fix.

All I really think this team needs is to keep healthy and hopefully resign Marcus Smart.

« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2018, 01:03:52 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Ainge decides to "go for it"

Get what the Celtics have and do whatever is necessary to get better and beat GSW.

What is that? If...
Irving
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford aren't good enough?

Trade evey asset including one of the above to get a guy who makes the Celtics good enough to win the title.

Ainge is supposed to wait? For what? Irving to leave? Someone else to get injured? Another team to assemble the "next GSW?" Draft more rookies that "need three years to be any good?"

Ainge has a cheap bench, a great coach and one of the greatest sports franchises in freaking history. Just go get the next "first or second best player" to win it all.

He's got one of the best destinations for a player who wants a ring. Where else is there? GSW? Rox? Philly? Pile up the draft chips and all your roster and beat Durant and Curry next year because, if you don't?

No one else will.

As he sits, barring catastrophes,  Ainge's team is in the NBA finals next year. If those five players aren't the "ones"? Then go get them for crying out loud! It's called a cell phone, use it.

« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2018, 06:01:11 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Tatum and Brown get better and Irving and Hayward get healthy.

And we sign Kawi or someone like him.

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2018, 06:52:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Realistic Best Case
2. Lebron signs with Lakers or some other western team that isn't the Rockets or Warriors (or if he stays in the East stays in Cleveland)
3. Sixers strike out in free agency and don't acquire anyone in trades (like say Leonard)

Dreamland Best case

What. The. !@#$?

Unbelievable. Everything Celticsclay has said about you is right. This is just awful.

Lol. I just saw this. Funny stuff. Obviously Moranis can't think trading Tatum and Horford for a year or two of James is reasonable (for the Celtics, obviously franchise altering for the Cavs)

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2018, 06:58:03 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Realistic Best Case

Dreamland Best case

What. The. !@#$?

what are you talking about?  You don't want the best player on the planet on this team.  I guess you don't want to win titles and compete with Golden State.

LeBron James decides to leave Cleveland, picks Boston, and out of the goodness of our hearts we give them a premium asset for it? Whats the matter with you?
Why does Cleveland facilitate a sign and trade if they don't get anything of value?  They would just tell Boston to f-off because Boston can't sign him outright.  It has nothing to do with goodness of hearts, it has to do with the simple reality that unless Boston gives up value, then Boston can't sign and trade for James.

So Lebron to Houston isn't a possibility either. No way Cleveland does a sign and trade and take back Anderson's contract. Unless Capela is included they don't do it.

I'd consider Smart S&T, Morris, Yabusele and 2 future picks.

If they want a max player on our team or Jaylen or Tatum, they can kick rocks.

How often do sign and trades involve the team acquiring said-player to give up multiple PREMIUM assets anyways??
Cavs will be in the luxury tax and thus can't sign and trade for a player, thus they can't acquire Smart.  The only way Boston could create the salary needed to acquire James is by including Horford (or Hayward).  In the scenario I posed, Boston would have James, Leonard, Hayward, and Brown (along with Morris and Smart) for the 3 wing positions.  There just aren't enough minutes to go around.  Now sure, if you'd rather include Brown instead of Tatum, that works just fine for me, but I'd rather have kept the guy that could play and guard SG's then the guy that couldn't from a team construction stand point. 

Houston can take back some crappy salary from the Cavs, like JR Smith, which makes it more likely a trade situation.  Boston can't really do that.  But yeah, that is the biggest impediment to James ending up in Houston because they either have to acquire by a sign and trade or lose Capela, Ariza, etc. and basically gut their team.

I see your point. But honestly I would give up Hayward before Tatum. He is quite literally the only player on the Celtics as untouchable.

You try to pair up a player like Tatum with LeBron, not get rid of him.

I'm just kidding though Moranis. I think at the end of the day, I feel like you do whatever it takes to win. Our options and assets are sky high. Our future is bright. Brighter than the Cavs for sure.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2018, 10:39:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Realistic Best Case

Dreamland Best case

What. The. !@#$?

Lol. I just saw this. Funny stuff. Obviously Moranis can't think trading Tatum and Horford for a year or two of James is reasonable (for the Celtics, obviously franchise altering for the Cavs)
why would it be a year or two? I'd expect James to be here for 5 years. Obviously he won't be the best player in the world the whole time, but I absolutely expect James to still be a very good player 5 years from now. And in that 5 years of expect the Celtics to win at least 3 titles.  I'd gladly trade Tatum for that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2018, 10:44:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Realistic Best Case

Dreamland Best case

What. The. !@#$?

why would it be a year or two? I'd expect James to be here for 5 years. Obviously he won't be the best player in the world the whole time, but I absolutely expect James to still be a very good player 5 years from now. And in that 5 years of expect the Celtics to win at least 3 titles.  I'd gladly trade Tatum for that.
Yeah, but as a “dreamland scenario” it’s ridiculous because there are plenty of other ways for LeBron to come here that don’t involve us trading our best prospect in decades
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2018, 10:49:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Ideal offseason:

1) Send future assets for one of Ayton or Bamba

2) Resign everyone at affordable contracts

3) Win Title.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2018, 10:52:53 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
The Celtics DO NOT need Lebron James to make it to the finals, we just need to stay healthy with our current cast of characters.

We probably would've taken Cleveland out in 5 games if Kyrie and Gordon Hayward were healthy this year, 6 if just Kyrie. No way in heck I would cough up Tatum in any deal for Lebron James... Talk about throwing away the future for a quick fix.

All I really think this team needs is to keep healthy and hopefully resign Marcus Smart.

Heck, we would have won if only Larkin was healthy.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2018, 11:04:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ideal offseason:

1) Send future assets for one of Ayton or Bamba

2) Resign everyone at affordable contracts

3) Win Title.
I like this!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2018, 11:11:10 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Trade Rozier and picks for a top 5 pick, draft Bagley or Bamba (Sorry Terry, but it's not going to happen without you.)

Sign Smart and Baynes

Baynes
Horford
Hayward
Brown
Irving

Tatum
Smart
Morris
Theis
Bagley/Bamba
Ojeleye