Author Topic: What's your best-case scenario for this offseason?  (Read 8557 times)

Re: What's your best-case scenario for this offseason?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
1. Let Marcus Smart walk. (Too much money)
2. Sign Nerlens Noel. (2 years 27m)
3. Trade Pick 27 + Sacramento Pick to Memphis for pick 6.
4. Draft Luka Doncic at pick 6.

*If Doncic is gone draft Mo Bamba. If this scenario plays out don't sign Noels and do re-sign Smart.

New Team:

Irving/Rozier/Larkin
Brown/Doncic or Smart/Bird
Hayward/Tatum
Morris/Theis/Ojeleye/Yabusele
Horford/Noels or Bamba
Memphis has the #4 pick.  Orlando has the #6 pick.  Neither is going to agree to the trade you propose and Doncic isn't falling to #6.  The Sixers would love it if he did so they could trade up from #10. 

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2018, 01:43:33 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
#12 pick and 2019 Grizzlies Pick for pick #9 ( Wendell Carter )

I worry about trades like this.  That Memphis pick could easily end up being the best pick in the bunch.

I don't think so. Isn't that pick top 8 protected? If Memphis is healthy, they'll finish in the 15-22 range.

I'd be in favor of trying to move in to the top ten by dangling Rozier, 2019 SAC pick, and 27th pick.

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2018, 01:45:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

*If Doncic is gone draft Mo Bamba. If this scenario plays out don't sign Noels and do re-sign Smart.

New Team:

Irving/Rozier/Larkin
Hayward/Tatum
Horford/Noels or Bamba
How on earth are we gonna sign Noel? The C's have zero cap space available (no matter what happens with Smart).
noel will take whatever we have

Mle, bi annual. Maybe even minimum. The guy can barely get pt on the mavs

on the brinbrig playing in europe

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 02:00:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
#12 pick and 2019 Grizzlies Pick for pick #9 ( Wendell Carter )

I worry about trades like this.  That Memphis pick could easily end up being the best pick in the bunch.

I don't think so. Isn't that pick top 8 protected? If Memphis is healthy, they'll finish in the 15-22 range.

I'd be in favor of trying to move in to the top ten by dangling Rozier, 2019 SAC pick, and 27th pick.

Is Mike Conley worth 20 - 25 wins? I don’t think that he is. That’s a bad roster.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 02:01:29 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

New Team:

Irving/Rozier/Larkin
Hayward/Tatum
Horford/Noels or Bamba
How on earth are we gonna sign Noel? The C's have zero cap space available (no matter what happens with Smart).

Non-Taxpayer MLE starts at $8,568,000. The contract runs for up to four years with 5% annual raises. The C's cannot possibly offer Noel ''2 years 27m''.

Only way we can get Noel is via a sign-and-trade.

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2018, 02:03:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

New Team:

Irving/Rozier/Larkin
Hayward/Tatum
Horford/Noels or Bamba

Non-Taxpayer MLE starts at $8,568,000. The contract runs for up to four years with 5% annual raises. The C's cannot possibly offer Noel ''2 years 27m''.

Who is offering Noel more than the MLE?

He has a terrible reputation right now. Injury prone, me-first, a malingerer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I only have two issues about the C's that I worry about.

The smaller issue is how to get someone to apprentice as a long term quality big in the next year or so. I'm pretty confident the team will figure this out fairly easily given its assets.

The one really big issue is how to manage the high quality second tier players. Marcus Smart is suffering from the same type of reality gap that Isaiah did.

Marcus Morris also is rightfully unsure whether he'll have a significant role. He'll play some, but not enough for him to feel good about it. It will be interesting to see what Ainge will do here.

Rozier is an interesting case. Hs value is high right now. He would be better off showing his hand to the C's now rather than waiting a year for restricted free agency. 

He could tell the C's he wants to stay. He might be able to work out an extension now with the C's before they commit to Marcus Smart, effectively claiming the third guard spot on the team for the long term before Marcus does. That would probably mean Smart is gone.

He could tell the team he wants to take advantage of his showing since Kyrie went down and ask them to find a team who wants to start him. If you are a Marcus Smart fan, this is the only good scenario for him.

If he waits, that might not be in his best interest. Smart probably will take the qualifying offer and opt for free agency in 2019 when more teams have money.

Sharing less minutes with Marcus is a bad scenario for all involved, so I hope we either sign Rozier and move on from Smart, or we trade Rozier and picks for a shot at a young big, and commit to Marcus at a reasonable price. I hope we don't try to keep both guys.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 02:23:29 PM by td450 »

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Have a good draft and try to keep guys at a reasonable cost. I'd hope for

C's trade Rozier, Morris, 57 and Sac pick to Magic for picks 6 and 41.
C's draft JJJ. I have sliding to there.

C's draft Melvin Frazier at 27 and Devonte Graham at 41.

C's get Smart at QO
C's retain Baynes at MLE 3 years.

Irving/Graham
Brown/Smart/Bird
Hayward/Semi/Frazier
Tatum/JJJ/Yab
Horford/Baynes/Theis
Can't see the Magic making that trade.  Teams with top lottery picks don't trade them for mediocre players like Rozier.  You don't even include the #27 and then you have them throwing in the #41.  BTW, we don't have any 2nd rounders this draft.
Rozier had incredible numbers as a starter and his playoff run wasn't bad despite his last game. Some people feel he is worth a 8-12 pick alone. Magic tried trading for Rozier once already so they have interest. Kings pick is also going to be top a lottery pick that's a lot for the 6th pick. I see Morris as more than equal for pick 41.
Some people think the world is flat.  Rozier does not have star potential which is what you want from the 4th pick and he only has 1 year left before he becomes an RFA.  I wouldn't call his numbers incredible.  He had some real good games and some stinkers.  For example, he had 3 good games against the Sixers but the last two when the Sixers started McConnell were pretty bad.  I'm hoping Rozier and the #27 will get us the #13 but I'm not sure it does, 

The Kings pick is very hard to value due to the #1 pick protection.  It'll probably end up 5-7 but it might end up mid 20's.  Next year's draft is projected to be significantly weaker than this draft.  As for Morris, I don't see why the Magic would want him.  Gordon needs to be their starting PF not SF.  Adding Rozier and Morris won't make them a playoff team next season.
You are under rating Rozier. 16pt 5ast per game when he got starter minutes and a very low turn over rate at only 24 years old. I'm not calling him an All-star but a Kemba Walker level star PG he can be. That's worth the 6th pick (not 4th) when you add another good lottery pick that can actually be better than what you are dealing away. And King's pick being in 20s isn't happening they are not making the playoffs the West is stacked. And as a RFA they can't lose Rozier unless they let him go.

Morris plays SF and with the line up of Rozier, Fournier, Morris, Gordon, and Vucevic they could make the playoffs it's the weak East.
If the Kings win the lottery we end up with the Philly 2019 pick, hence ''it might end up mid 20's''.
We all know them odds

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 02:36:08 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Re-sign Smart to 12 a year.

Re-sign Baynes to the same deal he had this year.

Send Rozier, Sac 2019, and this years first to draft Mo Bamba.

Irving 36/ Smart 12/ Larkin
Brown 34/Smart 14
Hayward 32/ Tatum 16/Semi
Tatum 16/Morris 24/Horford 8
Horford 24/Bamba 16/Baynes  8/Theis

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2018, 03:16:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

C's get Smart at QO

Irving/Graham
Brown/Smart/Bird
Hayward/Semi/Frazier
Tatum/JJJ/Yab
Horford/Baynes/Theis
Can't see the Magic making that trade.  Teams with top lottery picks don't trade them for mediocre players like Rozier.  You don't even include the #27 and then you have them throwing in the #41.  BTW, we don't have any 2nd rounders this draft.
Rozier had incredible numbers as a starter and his playoff run wasn't bad despite his last game. Some people feel he is worth a 8-12 pick alone. Magic tried trading for Rozier once already so they have interest. Kings pick is also going to be top a lottery pick that's a lot for the 6th pick. I see Morris as more than equal for pick 41.
Some people think the world is flat.  Rozier does not have star potential which is what you want from the 4th pick and he only has 1 year left before he becomes an RFA.  I wouldn't call his numbers incredible.  He had some real good games and some stinkers.  For example, he had 3 good games against the Sixers but the last two when the Sixers started McConnell were pretty bad.  I'm hoping Rozier and the #27 will get us the #13 but I'm not sure it does, 

The Kings pick is very hard to value due to the #1 pick protection.  It'll probably end up 5-7 but it might end up mid 20's.  Next year's draft is projected to be significantly weaker than this draft.  As for Morris, I don't see why the Magic would want him.  Gordon needs to be their starting PF not SF.  Adding Rozier and Morris won't make them a playoff team next season.
You are under rating Rozier. 16pt 5ast per game when he got starter minutes and a very low turn over rate at only 24 years old. I'm not calling him an All-star but a Kemba Walker level star PG he can be. That's worth the 6th pick (not 4th) when you add another good lottery pick that can actually be better than what you are dealing away. And King's pick being in 20s isn't happening they are not making the playoffs the West is stacked. And as a RFA they can't lose Rozier unless they let him go.

Morris plays SF and with the line up of Rozier, Fournier, Morris, Gordon, and Vucevic they could make the playoffs it's the weak East.
I didn't say anything about the Kings making the playoffs.  The Kings pick is top 1 protected.  If it ends up #1, the Sixers keep it and we get the Sixers pick instead which is likely to be mid 20s.  That makes it very difficult to trade for good value. 

I think you are overvaluing Rozier's performance over the last couple months of the season.  You also have the Steven's system factor to consider.  You don't give up the #6 pick for an unproven 3rd year player.   
Banking on a team to win the lottery when they won't even have the 3rd best odds (cause we know they aren't tanking) is not a reason to dismiss the greater odds that it will convey as a top 10 pick.

And how am I over valuing Rozier? He has averaged a good amount of minutes off the bench for some time and has shown improvement each year. The amount of games is more than enough sample when you add 30 games as a starter who was a big help in the playoffs. He is proven to be a 16/4/5 guy in the playoffs and regular season with minutes. He isnt old and should improve more given his constant growth. 18/5/6 is not out of the question for him as a full time starter next year. These guys in the draft are no sure thing and 100x less proven than Rozier.

Flat earth or round, Rozier, Morris and the Kings pick is worth 6th and 41. I base this on Rozier's production, growth curve, and where King's pick projects as well as the value Morris brings. I'm not going with the slimer odds which are pick 6 becomes a All star and Kings pick is going to win the lottery.

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2018, 03:42:12 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

New Team:

Irving/Rozier/Larkin
Hayward/Tatum
Horford/Noels or Bamba

Who is offering Noel more than the MLE?

He has a terrible reputation right now. Injury prone, me-first, a malingerer.

Absolutely. Plus, no outside shot and only 220 lbs. Joel Embiid will throw him around like a rag doll.

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2018, 03:52:31 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Do not trade either the Sac or the Mem pick

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2018, 05:07:59 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

C's get Smart at QO

Irving/Graham
Brown/Smart/Bird
Hayward/Semi/Frazier
Tatum/JJJ/Yab
Horford/Baynes/Theis

I didn't say anything about the Kings making the playoffs.  The Kings pick is top 1 protected.  If it ends up #1, the Sixers keep it and we get the Sixers pick instead which is likely to be mid 20s.  That makes it very difficult to trade for good value. 

I think you are overvaluing Rozier's performance over the last couple months of the season.  You also have the Steven's system factor to consider.  You don't give up the #6 pick for an unproven 3rd year player.   
Banking on a team to win the lottery when they won't even have the 3rd best odds (cause we know they aren't tanking) is not a reason to dismiss the greater odds that it will convey as a top 10 pick.

And how am I over valuing Rozier? He has averaged a good amount of minutes off the bench for some time and has shown improvement each year. The amount of games is more than enough sample when you add 30 games as a starter who was a big help in the playoffs. He is proven to be a 16/4/5 guy in the playoffs and regular season with minutes. He isnt old and should improve more given his constant growth. 18/5/6 is not out of the question for him as a full time starter next year. These guys in the draft are no sure thing and 100x less proven than Rozier.

Flat earth or round, Rozier, Morris and the Kings pick is worth 6th and 41. I base this on Rozier's production, growth curve, and where King's pick projects as well as the value Morris brings. I'm not going with the slimer odds which are pick 6 becomes a All star and Kings pick is going to win the lottery.
Real GMs actually have to take into account all the possibilities.  Ignoring the low odds and ending up with Rozier and a mid 20s pick for the #6 is a good way to get fired. 

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2018, 05:32:09 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

I feel good about the Kings pick.  More likely to be 2 to 4 than #1. I do see the Kings being worse next year than the Suns, Chicago (tied this year), Grizzlies (Conley will elevate them back), and Dallas (Cuban will spend).

I can't see the Kings pick being 6 through 10 next year....As we get close to next year's draft...a pick 2-4, or pick 5, is going to have a huge amount of value..

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2018, 06:33:36 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

TP. not a fan of consolidating either.