Author Topic: The Special Case Reviewable Charge Rule  (Read 585 times)

The Special Case Reviewable Charge Rule
« on: June 02, 2018, 10:21:11 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm not arguing whether the outcome was the correct one or not for the Lebron charge call in Game 1, just how it came about.

As I understand it, the actual charge call is only reviewable in the last 2 minutes of regulation or OT, if they are already reviewing whether or not a player was in the restricted area. I don't even really have a problem with that rule, although it seems weird that this is the only reviewable foul call they allow, and they only allow it under these circumstances.

What I find screwy is that they were using the restricted area review only as a pretense to check out the charge.  It was pretty clear that Lebron was not in the restricted area.  If they're going to review calls, go ahead and do it, just don't stretch the pretenses of what makes it ok to do a complete inspection of the play. 

Yup

Re: The Special Case Reviewable Charge Rule
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 10:45:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The cavs might have got hurt by the call but they faltered in over time big time.   Losing it over this call, is an excuse at the end of the day.

Re: The Special Case Reviewable Charge Rule
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think they ultimately got the call right but the pretense they used to get there bothered me. 

The refs screwed up in real time.  It should’ve been a block to begin with.  Lebron was moving & not in any type of established defensive position that is known to man. However, he was nowhere close to the restricted area.  So reviewing it was pretty bunk.  Also, I hate the idea of reviewing & overturning something (a foul) that is subjective in nature.  It’s like reviewing balls & strikes.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team