Poll

What position is weakest in the league right now?

PG
0 (0%)
SG
6 (20%)
SF
0 (0%)
PF
8 (26.7%)
C
16 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Weakest Position in the league right now?  (Read 2411 times)

Re: Weakest Position in the league right now?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The PF position is pretty weak right now. Very little top end talent.

Think about the league 10-12 years ago with Duncan, Garnett, Dirk, Jermaine O'Neal, Bosh, Josh Smith, Jamison, Amare Stoudemire / Shawn Marion, Boozer, AK-47, Big Al, Scola, Kenyon Martin, David West, Zach Randolph, Rasheed Wallace, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Elton Brand.

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
If the league had 10 more Davis/Embiids, we wouldn't be worried as much about teams jacking up 3's on every possession. The movement to the 3pt line plus a lack of talent on the boards has made this a guard/wing dominated sport.

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I voted for traditional PF, it came down to PF or C

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 12:23:38 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html

That is the list of active players and their HOF Probabilty.

By position they are in order

SF, SG, PF, PG, SF, C, PG, PG, SF, SG, SG - so the top 10 has 1 C, 1 PF, 3 SF, 3 SG, 3 PG

The next 10 in order are

SG, PG, C, PF, PF, SF, PG, PG, PG, PF - so the next 10 has 1 C, 3 PF, 1 SF, 1 SG, 4 PG

So center appears to be the weakest, though if you count Anthony Davis as a Center and not a power forward then, those positions would be tied.  Point guard is clearly the deepest position.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Center

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 01:59:27 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I said power forward because... what even is a power forward anymore?

Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony play a lot of 4 but, to me, they're still SF's. Anthony Davis and Al Horford play a lot of 4 but I think they're centers in todays game. So who even are the best power forwards? Blake Griffin, Lamarcus Aldridge, Draymond Green, Paul Millsap and then... I don't even know.

As weak as SG has been James Harden is the MVP, Demar Derozan, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, Victor Oladipo, CJ Mccollum, and Bradley Beal is a more impressive list to me. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 08:02:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Back to the Basket Post Players.

It would be very interesting to see a team build their team to play a more traditional style with more defined 3, 4 & 5 positions. Put a post-dominant team with shooters at the guard and small forward positions and see how all these finesse teams handle it.

New Orleans could have played that way if Cousins and Davis would buy in and grind inside like McHale & Parish. Gotta have very good post players to make it work. Pound hell out of the offensive boards and be able to kick it out of the post-ups to perimeter shooters when doubled.

While I agree with you in terms of your assessment of the Pelicans, the problems for them when it comes to implementing that classic 4/5 combination, at least imo, anyway, is that 1). Cousins was a terrible defender at any position prior to his injury, so it's hard to see him even being able to improve on that end, going forward, even if he wanted to do so, and 2). Davis has no post game and needs to add strength, imo. Sure, he scores a lot of points, but most of those are on jumpers or dunks, and I honestly cannot understand as to how anyone could ever compare him to Garnett, whose skill level simply dwarfs that of The Brow ::), imo, LOL ;D.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 08:07:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
AD

clones

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 11:50:31 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I said power forward because... what even is a power forward anymore?

Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony play a lot of 4 but, to me, they're still SF's. Anthony Davis and Al Horford play a lot of 4 but I think they're centers in todays game. So who even are the best power forwards? Blake Griffin, Lamarcus Aldridge, Draymond Green, Paul Millsap and then... I don't even know.

As weak as SG has been James Harden is the MVP, Demar Derozan, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, Victor Oladipo, CJ Mccollum, and Bradley Beal is a more impressive list to me.

You make a good case. That power forward list is looking awfully weak. Blake, Horford (I think he’s a 4), and Draymond are your best 4’s. Followed by LMA and Millsap.
- LilRip