Author Topic: Love will not be suspended  (Read 2509 times)

Love will not be suspended
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-kevin-love-will-not-suspended-leaving-bench-area-181504975.html

Determined that he initially stepped onto the court to protest a foul call, but as soon as a confrontation arose he went back to the bench and thus did not commit a suspendable offense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Love will not be suspended
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 03:08:23 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Yeah, that's not what the rule says. Rule says leave the vicinity of the bench, which he clearly did.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Can someone just explain to me how Draymond does all that near the end (instigating, shoving, yelling something the refs way, constant taunting) and not get a technical or an ejection?? Meanwhile Thompson simply fouls Livingston on a shot and it's deemed flagrant 2...

And I despise the Cavaliers but that's just ridiculous.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Can someone just explain to me how Draymond does all that near the end (instigating, shoving, yelling something the refs way, constant taunting) and not get a technical or an ejection?? Meanwhile Thompson simply fouls Livingston on a shot and it's deemed flagrant 2...

Did Thompson even touch Livingston? I didn't think he did.

Draymond should have definitely been t'd up. He was ridiculous in OT. Funny how he wasn't talking all that smack when the game was close. He is a total front runner and loser, just like the rest of that team.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 03:28:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Yeah, that's not what the rule says. Rule says leave the vicinity of the bench, which he clearly did.
“During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $50,000.”

1. It has to be during an altercation, which started after he was already on the floor.
2. They player has to be in the vicinity of the bench, which Love clearly was.

No suspension is the right call in that situation.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 03:33:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wonder if his team mates wish he got suspended, that killed us in the series when he went out.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 03:37:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Did Thompson even touch Livingston? I didn't think he did.

Draymond should have definitely been t'd up. He was ridiculous in OT. Funny how he wasn't talking all that smack when the game was close. He is a total front runner and loser, just like the rest of that team.

He touched him but it looked like a clear COMMON foul, nothing vicious about it. I was just staring at my TV for a few seconds thinking, "HUH??", because Thompson didn't even say anything at the time to instigate anything.

I wonder if his team mates wish he got suspended, that killed us in the series when he went out.

You can say that, and yes it did suck for us actually, but he had 21 points and 13 rebounds last night. As great as Thompson looks against us, he looks mediocre against everyone else it seems (sigh...) so yeah I think they really need Love this series. 

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 03:47:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You can say that, and yes it did suck for us actually, but he had 21 points and 13 rebounds last night. As great as Thompson looks against us, he looks mediocre against everyone else it seems (sigh...) so yeah I think they really need Love this series.

At some point his softness will haunt them, I am thankful we did not get him.

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 04:00:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
If you want to know where one of the Cavs players is, it's a good bet they are whining to a ref.

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
“During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $50,000.”

1. It has to be during an altercation, which started after he was already on the floor.

Interesting that in this situation you're willing to consider concessions for the sake of fairness and practicality instead of being honor bound to the strictest interpretation of the rule ....
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Interesting that in this situation you're willing to consider concessions for the sake of fairness and practicality instead of being honor bound to the strictest interpretation of the rule ....
I don't think it is concessions at all.  I think that is the correct application of that rule every time.  Now if the altercation was in front of the Cavs bench, he probably would have been suspended even if everything else was the same just because of his location to the altercation.

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

At some point his softness will haunt them, I am thankful we did not get him.

I mean, you're not wrong, I do think Love is soft at times and his defense is awful. But he was a big reason (besides Lebron of course) the game was as close as it was last night. And he actually did play some solid defense during the 2nd half in crucial moments.

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 04:27:29 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Love was clearly not "in the vicinity of the bench". He was 10 feet onto the floor. He was also heading into the scrum when an assistant coach pulled him back towards the sideline.

Blatantly should have been suspended, wasn't because the NBA is desperate for GSW not to sweep.

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 04:51:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

like if there is a lane violation, call it to the letter of the law!
altercation off bench, lets be practical here? what was intent?

Tough to argue these both simultaneously...

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 04:59:11 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

When do people think the altercation started?

I mean it was getting a little chippy, but the altercation didn't start until Thompson shoved the ball in Green's face.  Is there any evidence I'm missing that shows Love on the court then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP3v1ZaA7BY

No special massaging of the rules needed.  I've seen no evidence of Love leaving where he was and moving towards the altercation.

And I think Amare should have been suspended too!  He ran towards the altercation.  I believe him when he says he was going to check in about as much as I believe JR saying he knew what the score was.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class