Author Topic: Draymond committed a lane violation on Hill's missed FT  (Read 2639 times)

Re: Draymond committed a lane violation on Hill's missed FT
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 02:59:51 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Green moved slightly, happens all the time and I have no issue with a non-call there, but then instead of correcting, he takes another step and leans out into the lane.  It was a pretty egregious lane infraction.  The league should absolutely call the egregious ones, otherwise what is the point in the rule.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 03:01:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This is hilarious

Lebron committed 11 land violations last night
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 03:25:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Green moved slightly, happens all the time and I have no issue with a non-call there, but then instead of correcting, he takes another step and leans out into the lane.  It was a pretty egregious lane infraction.  The league should absolutely call the egregious ones, otherwise what is the point in the rule.

This is really your hill to die on man? There were like 15 calls that were more egregious than that in last night alone. Lebron's lane violations have actually garnered media attention, but have still only been called once in the entire playoffs.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/04/does-it-matter-that-lebron-commits-a-lane-violation-every-time-he-shoots-a-free-throw.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/05/02/breaking-lebron-james-finally-gets-called-for-a-lane-violation-on-a-free-throw/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3c8fe017c515

Don't die on this hill man, it is a bad pointless one.

I will be the first to tell you the Cavs got really screwed in the overtime on calls.

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 03:29:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

This is really your hill to die on man? There were like 15 calls that were more egregious than that in last night alone. Lebron's lane violations have actually garnered media attention, but have still only been called once in the entire playoffs.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/04/does-it-matter-that-lebron-commits-a-lane-violation-every-time-he-shoots-a-free-throw.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/05/02/breaking-lebron-james-finally-gets-called-for-a-lane-violation-on-a-free-throw/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3c8fe017c515

I will be the first to tell you the Cavs got really screwed in the overtime on calls.
And they should call James when he commits egregious ones, especially those when he goes for the rebound.  If he just steps over the line and goes back down the court, who cares, but he if goes for the rebound early, call him.  Why have the rule if you aren't going to enforce it, especially the egregious violations of it.

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
I want Golden State to sweep the Cavs, otherwise, if the Cavs put up a good fight, I will have some serious post-traumatic stress realizing what a golden opportunity for a title we gave up with that horrible shooting in game 7.  In other words, if the Cavs can contend with GS, I believe the C's could have, and I don't want those thoughts to creep into my mind.

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 03:44:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
CLE 's best chance is to flip the refs.

LeBron routinely pushes off and travels a zillions times every game.   He is so entitled and spoiled that he acts shocked when he does not get a call.

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 04:12:27 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I have no idea why the obvious hatred for LeBron, has anything to do with whether the referees should be enforcing a lane violation rule. Like Moranis said, why have the rule in the first place, if your not going to enforce it. BTW, if they enforced the rule consistently, then we wouldn't see it all the time.

On the other hand, I do understand that it seems like a ticky tack call. However, if the refs are going to use the excuse of whether LeBron was in the circle to make the argument to use replay, then they should enforce the lane violation rule. That review was not warranted in the first place, but the lane violation is an actual rule.

Having said that, there is simply no excuse for what JR Smith did.

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I have no idea why the obvious hatred for LeBron, has anything to do with whether the referees should be enforcing a lane violation rule. Like Moranis said, why have the rule in the first place, if your not going to enforce it. BTW, if they enforced the rule consistently, then we wouldn't see it all the time.

On the other hand, I do understand that it seems like a ticky tack call. However, if the refs are going to use the excuse of whether LeBron was in the circle to make the argument to use replay, then they should enforce the lane violation rule. That review was not warranted in the first place, but the lane violation is an actual rule.

Having said that, there is simply no excuse for what JR Smith did.

What in the world? Moranis pointed out there was a lane violation that wasn't called. Multiple users pointed out that Lebron commits a lane violation on all of his shots in an egregious matter to the point that the national media has repeatedly pointed it out (see my links from washington post etc above). Yet, these are never called either (Lebron received one call against him in the pacers series, which also made national news). That has nothing to do with "hating" Lebron it just pointing out the league nevers calls them and Lebron is the most high profile example of this because it has received national coverage. I'll also repeat many many players, not just Lebron, do this every play and I don't think anybody really wants to see them start calling it all the time.

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 04:49:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You have to ask -- What is the point of the rule?

My understanding is that a lane violation is a thing because there's a certain set up of players on either side of the lane to give both teams a fair shot at getting a rebound from a missed free throw (though the defending team has the best position, of course). 

In this situation, George Hill missed the free throw, but his teammates corralled the rebound.  So who cares if Draymond technically committed a lane violation?  It's not like he came up with the rebound.

If you're asking me if I think it's possible George Hill missed the free throw because of Draymond, my answer is no, I don't think so.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 05:05:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

And they should call James when he commits egregious ones, especially those when he goes for the rebound.  If he just steps over the line and goes back down the court, who cares, but he if goes for the rebound early, call him. Why have the rule if you aren't going to enforce it, especially the egregious violations of it.
You mean like traveling on Lebron. Funny how I have never seen you complain about that egregious rule violation that happens at least once a game.

We get you're a Cavs fan but you aren't going to get much sympathy on Celticsblog on a very commonly not called offense like a lane violation that would have helped the Cavs.

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 05:26:26 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
He clearly is well in the lane when the ball is still in Hill's hand.  As such, Hill should have been granted another attempt at the FT.

You kidding me? If NBA enforced this rule, the game would add another extra 30 minutes on top of it..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 09:12:30 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
NBA confirms in 2 minute report it should have been called. So egregious enough for the league to point out.

NBA says Draymond fouled, had lane violation https://es.pn/2xD0dU0
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 09:20:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
There were multiple instances of this in this game alone. And there are in every game. Barely even a rule anymore
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2018, 09:25:05 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
He clearly is well in the lane when the ball is still in Hill's hand.  As such, Hill should have been granted another attempt at the FT.

You kidding me? If NBA enforced this rule, the game would add another extra 30 minutes on top of it..

I agree - it's a common occurrence.  However if they began to enforce it, the players would eventually adapt and stop doing it, just like how players stopped (mostly) touching the ball after  they (or their teammate) scored a basket once the refs started to enforce delay of game violations more stringently.

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 06:10:51 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
NBA confirms in 2 minute report it should have been called. So egregious enough for the league to point out.

NBA says Draymond fouled, had lane violation https://es.pn/2xD0dU0
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app
Moranis. I'm dissapointed here. This is either lazy from you or deliberately misleading.

The L2M report said the violation was "incidental or immaterial" so pretty much the opposite of egregious and furthermore they didn't even score it as an incorrect non call against the officials.

source: http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2018/05/L2M-CLE-GSW-05-31-2018.pdf
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.