Author Topic: I think they should change the review standard on block / charge calls  (Read 4221 times)

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
It is a terrible rule. In my mind, LeBron wasn't even close to the restricted area, so the review made no sense to me and should have never happened.  As I said last night, fouls should only be made in real time, especially for charge calls. You could nit pick a defender moving in slow motion, but not necessarily in real time. I understand the refs changed the call during replay, but it wasn't indisputable to overturn.

Jeff Green's toe was on the restricted line and he was part of the play. I think the refs got the call right  and I think that's what matters. If Hill could make a free-throw and JR Smith wasn't as dumb as a box of rocks the Cavs would've won the game.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Two refs called it different ways in real time. That's why they reviewed it. It had nothing to do with restricted area. That's just stupid Mark Jackson talking. They had conflicting calls and went to replay. It was clearly a block.

Replay Review (Callahan): if LeBron James was in the restricted area, as well as in legal guarding position, after he drew an offensive foul on Kevin Durant in Q4 of #CLEatGSW. Ruling: Overturned to blocking foul, James was not in legal guarding position.

https://twitter.com/NBAOfficial/status/1002394807560523776

Clarity on blk/charge review: The trigger is that if in the last 2 minutes of the 4th or overtime officials have doubt whether the defender was in the restricted area. While reviewing, they may also confirm if the defender was in legal guarding position when the contact occurred.

https://twitter.com/NBAOfficial/status/1002405076575707137

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
It is a terrible rule. In my mind, LeBron wasn't even close to the restricted area, so the review made no sense to me and should have never happened.  As I said last night, fouls should only be made in real time, especially for charge calls. You could nit pick a defender moving in slow motion, but not necessarily in real time. I understand the refs changed the call during replay, but it wasn't indisputable to overturn.

Jeff Green's toe was on the restricted line and he was part of the play. I think the refs got the call right  and I think that's what matters. If Hill could make a free-throw and JR Smith wasn't as dumb as a box of rocks the Cavs would've won the game.

What does Jeff Green have to do with the call between LeBron and Durant? It was a block or charge based on whether LeBron was in the circle. Using Jeff Green's toe is a lame excuse and is indefensible.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What does Jeff Green have to do with the call between LeBron and Durant? It was a block or charge based on whether LeBron was in the circle. Using Jeff Green's toe is a lame excuse and is indefensible.

Yeah, if the standard is that all charges / blocks are reviewable if *anybody* is in the restricted area, games might becomes 4 hours long.

There was no reasonable doubt about where Lebron's feet were.  That's just bad officiating.  It shouldn't have been reviewed, period.

But, going forward, I just think it's nonsensical to review very specific types of fouls, while making the vast majority of fouls unreviewable.  I think the rule should stick to boundary disputes, period.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, if the standard is that all charges / blocks are reviewable if *anybody* is in the restricted area, games might becomes 4 hours long.

There was no reasonable doubt about where Lebron's feet were.  That's just bad officiating.  It shouldn't have been reviewed, period.

But, going forward, I just think it's nonsensical to review very specific types of fouls, while making the vast majority of fouls unreviewable.  I think the rule should stick to boundary disputes, period.

I think whenever there's a rule that is not up to a ton of interpretation (what counts as a "foul" on a shot is often nebulous) and the game is in the last two minutes, it should be possible to review.

We don't want games to take ages, but we also don't want games decided on terrible calls.  It's not that hard to decide if a charge was a charge.  It's not hard to decide which team has possession after the ball went out of bounds.  It's not hard to decide if a goaltend was a goaltend.  These are the sorts of things that merit review, at least in the last two minutes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
We don't want games to take ages, but we also don't want games decided on terrible calls.  It's not that hard to decide if a charge was a charge.  It's not hard to decide which team has possession after the ball went out of bounds.  It's not hard to decide if a goaltend was a goaltend.  These are the sorts of things that merit review, at least in the last two minutes.

Last night's game was basically decided on a terrible call, where those George Hill free throws may have not even taken place. Even the retired referee helping out with the broadcast thought it was a charge, which is a judgement call that can be seen differently by different people. There is simply no disputing whether LeBron was in the circle to warrant a review in the first place.

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Just get rid of the charge rule. It is very dangerous.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Yeah, I'd be interested in that.

I was watching Smart's defensive rotations on LeBron's drives in Game 7. Smart completely cut off the lane for LeBron to get his shot off. He did not do this once but several times. While I love and respect what Smart was doing ... it was idiotic to me to have a 6-8 brilliant athlete like LeBron be scared to take a driving shot at the basket because of a 6-3 Smart. I get pulling out of the shot because a shot-blocker is there but a small guard? That sucks. Smart was just so quick and able to cover a wider space that LeBron couldn't get an angle to get around him.

Making charges more frightening to guys like LeBron than shot-blockers is another way today's league is taking away from big men. I'd much prefer seeing guys try to block shots than looking to set up for a charge. Much more exciting.

Anyway, I was watching this play happen over and over and I was wondering if they should just eliminate charges around the basket. Not just inside 3 feet. But extend that out to 10 feet or 15 feet. Keep charges way out on the floor (around the 3 point line) - where I do actually like seeing them. But get rid of those charges in and around the paint. Open it up more for slashers to drive without being worried about picking up silly fouls or getting undercut in the air and hitting the ground badly.

But I could totally get behind eliminating the charge altogether too.

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
We must realize that a wrong call is a game changer as much as giving extra rest time to players. It is not only about getting things right, but in a way that doesn't impact, for example, game management.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I was watching Smart's defensive rotations on LeBron's drives in Game 7. Smart completely cut off the lane for LeBron to get his shot off. He did not do this once but several times. While I love and respect what Smart was doing ... it was idiotic to me to have a 6-8 brilliant athlete like LeBron be scared to take a driving shot at the basket because of a 6-3 Smart. I get pulling out of the shot because a shot-blocker is there but a small guard? That sucks. Smart was just so quick and able to cover a wider space that LeBron couldn't get an angle to get around him.

Making charges more frightening to guys like LeBron than shot-blockers is another way today's league is taking away from big men. I'd much prefer seeing guys try to block shots than looking to set up for a charge. Much more exciting.

Anyway, I was watching this play happen over and over and I was wondering if they should just eliminate charges around the basket. Not just inside 3 feet. But extend that out to 10 feet or 15 feet. Keep charges way out on the floor (around the 3 point line) - where I do actually like seeing them. But get rid of those charges in and around the paint. Open it up more for slashers to drive without being worried about picking up silly fouls or getting undercut in the air and hitting the ground badly.

Why allow any defense at all. They barely allow players to play any kind of defense now as it is. They  let the offensive player create contact re James Harden. If there where more guys in the NBA that could make open shots the court would open up by it self.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Why allow any defense at all. They barely allow players to play any kind of defense now as it is. They  let the offensive player create contact re James Harden. If there where more guys in the NBA that could make open shots the court would open up by it self.
right!!! just have one team play offense while the defensive team stands on the other side of the half court line. when the offensive team scores, they stay in their half of the court and the ball is delivered to the defensive, who is now the offensive team!!!

then they switch back and forth until the clock runs out. talk about high powered offensive games!!!! and the dunks can only be imagined!!!

let the stars shine!!!!!  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

right!!! just have one team play offense while the defensive team stands on the other side of the half court line. when the offensive team scores, they stay in their half of the court and the ball is delivered to the defensive, who is now the offensive team!!!

then they switch back and forth until the clock runs out. talk about high powered offensive games!!!! and the dunks can only be imagined!!!

let the stars shine!!!!!  ::)

Can you explain that again....it has some prospect...lol

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
We must realize that a wrong call is a game changer as much as giving extra rest time to players. It is not only about getting things right, but in a way that doesn't impact, for example, game management.

absolutely, the changed call is a momentum changer.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
LeBron actually lowered his shoulder to take that charge that is a big thing that the officials look for on charges and it is a big no no on taking a charge.   It is his fault not the rules that call was over turned it was poor technique and he was still moving with his shoulder lowered.  No need to change the rule because there is a clause/rule that stats they can over turn a call even outside the no charge area if the defender is not in proper position for the defensive play.