Author Topic: I think they should change the review standard on block / charge calls  (Read 4217 times)

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I just don't get how if the review protocol is to see if the ball, player, etc touches a line or goes over a line, then how can they change the actual call. To me that's not fair unless every play throughout the game is reviewable.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I thought it was a block upon initial viewing. Lebron was never set.

They, ultimately, got the call right but didn’t like the process that got them there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The greatest stupidity of all that review is that there is should be no reasonable doubt about the fact that LeBron was NOT in the restricted area. It should've never gone to review in the first place

Perhaps, but who cares?  The end result was correct.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Two refs called it different ways in real time. That's why they reviewed it. It had nothing to do with restricted area. That's just stupid Mark Jackson talking. They had conflicting calls and went to replay. It was clearly a block.

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Two refs called it different ways in real time. That's why they reviewed it. It had nothing to do with restricted area. That's just stupid Mark Jackson talking. They had conflicting calls and went to replay. It was clearly a block.

The refs could only review the play if there was a question of whether LeBron was in the restricted area. From that point, then they could review the block too.

If the refs just disagreed on the call, then they would call in the third ref on the floor and they would discuss the play/call among themselves. The option to review the play would not be available.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

The refs could only review the play if there was a question of whether LeBron was in the restricted area. From that point, then they could review the block too.

If the refs just disagreed on the call, then they would call in the third ref on the floor and they would discuss the play/call among themselves. The option to review the play would not be available.

That's why they reviewed it they had conflicting calls on the play. I don't know what the third refs was doing. They ended up making the right call.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/06/01/cleveland-cavaliers-lament-reversal-critical-late-charge

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think if they're gonna go and spend time reviewing something, they ought to be able to recognize if they made a mistake.

Obviously we don't want them doing video review on every foul call, but if they're already going to look at the tape anyway, especially with something like a charge where you can clearly see if somebody is still moving their feet when the offensive player has started their motion, they ought to be able to correct the mistake.

Last night, LeBron was not quite in place quick enough.  His feet were still moving.  It would have been an error for the game to be decided by a charge call there instead of a block.

I would point out that LeBron's been a beneficiary of many, many block calls in his favor over the course of his career, as well, so no need to feel sorry for him.
You are allowed to be moving.  You don't have to be set. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

They, ultimately, got the call right but didn’t like the process that got them there.
You don't have to be set.  That just isn't a requirement in the rule.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Somebody must've had Warriors -12.5 last night. Their attempt to tie the game but fell short in OT.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

You don't have to be set.  That just isn't a requirement in the rule.

You can't be sliding sidewards under the on coming player....

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I think if they're gonna go and spend time reviewing something, they ought to be able to recognize if they made a mistake.

Obviously we don't want them doing video review on every foul call, but if they're already going to look at the tape anyway, especially with something like a charge where you can clearly see if somebody is still moving their feet when the offensive player has started their motion, they ought to be able to correct the mistake.

Last night, LeBron was not quite in place quick enough.  His feet were still moving.  It would have been an error for the game to be decided by a charge call there instead of a block.

I would point out that LeBron's been a beneficiary of many, many block calls in his favor over the course of his career, as well, so no need to feel sorry for him.

You have to be in legal grading position. James was not.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
The greatest stupidity of all that review is that there is should be no reasonable doubt about the fact that LeBron was NOT in the restricted area. It should've never gone to review in the first place

this is what is blowing my mind right now

everyone is upset EVEN THOUGH they eventually called it right

it was a block and it really wasn't that close
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

this is what is blowing my mind right now

everyone is upset EVEN THOUGH they eventually called it right

it was a block and it really wasn't that close

When Bron Bron cries like that it upsets people. Like when a baby cries and you turn your head to see what's upsetting the little fella,,,

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

You have to be in legal grading position. James was not.
That is most definitely arguable.  I mean the former ref on the ABC team said it was a charge.  The main former coach on the announcing crew, also said it was a charge.  The refs on the floor initially called it a charge as well. 

You don't have to be set and you can be moving.  James was in front of Durant, who ran into him.  It is debatable if he was a bit late getting there, but he absolutely was in front of Durant and didn't undercut him.  They shouldn't have overturned the call though.   

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

"Block-Charge: An on-ball, block-charge situation occurs when contact is made between an offensive player (who is moving in a particular direction or trying to change directions) and defensive player. The defender is permitted to establish his legal guarding position in the path of the dribbler regardless of his speed and distance. To get into a legal position, the defender needs to establish himself in the path of the offensive player before contact is made, thus “beating him to the spot,” and before he starts his upward shooting motion."

Durant's upward shooting motion (i.e. when he gathered the ball and began raising it from his waist before he planted his right foot to go up for the layup) began far outside the restricted area and before LeBron had planted either of his feet.

Durant is a huge player with enormous strides so he can plausibly begin his shooting motion on a drive far away from the basket.  The rule is not whether the defensive player was established in his spot before the offensive player reaches that spot, it's whether the defensive player established before the offensive player started entering his scoring motion (as opposed to dribbling).  This makes sense because the offensive player should have an opportunity to change directions or pass the ball.  Otherwise the defensive player is just jumping in the way of a player knowing that player will run into them.

There's no way LeBron was in position, he would have had to get there much earlier.

It was a block.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain