Author Topic: Antoine wants Lebron in green  (Read 15944 times)

Re: Antoine wants Lebron in green
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2018, 02:15:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kyrie - Jaylen - Hayward - Tatum - Horford

That's all I want from the team next year.  Those five guys healthy and competing.

I'm not interested in hearing other ideas.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2018, 02:17:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That's all I want from the team next year.  Those five guys healthy and competing.

I知 with you except I also want Smart as the 6th man.  I知 having a difficult time coping with the potential loss of him.

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2018, 02:21:29 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

I知 with you except I also want Smart as the 6th man.  I知 having a difficult time coping with the potential loss of him.

I'm with both of you. Those five starters and Smart can conquer the world.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Walker is out to lunch

I honestly enjoy his insight (his predictions stink) ...

Celtics will not do that to Irving and entertain the idea of Lebron joining ship.

Lebron in addition won't join.  One of his life goals was to beat the Celts.  He is no Durant

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2018, 02:23:16 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Or how about S&T Smart (14-16M/Year), Morris, Yabusele and 2 future non-Kings pick.

Tell Lebron to opt out and in S&T, take a bit of a paycut like Durant (~25M/Year).

There's no way I'm trading a current max deal for him. And maybe Kyrie and Lebron could co-exist, because who knows, maybe Kyrie left more because he hated that CLE FO, not Lebron (The Cavaliers FO and organization does seem like a toxic environment).

The only way I see this happening is if the ownership for both teams make some sort of wink-wink deal with out Smart knowing. Something like Wyc saying to Dan Gilbert, if you offer Marcus $16M per year, we won't match and we will include Morris, the 2019 Sacramento pick and either the Grizzlies or Clippers pick for LeBron. Obviously, LeBron would have to be in on it too.

Maybe, although adding the Kings Pick seems steep even if it's for Lebron.

Actually. I just realized, I don't think the Cavaliers can even make a formal offer for Smart since they are way over the cap.

Basically, C's have to sign Smart to 14-16M/Year, Lebron opts out and signs for 25M/Year, and a sign and trade is done with us sending some other assets too (like Morris, Yabusele, 2-3 non-Kings picks). It's kind of complicated overall. Same with Houston or San Antonio if Lebron is thinking about joining either since they barely have cap space too.

Am I advocating we bring Lebron in? No. But in today's NBA and with all that's happened the last few years... it's not an impossible scenario lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2018, 02:43:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Or how about S&T Smart (14-16M/Year), Morris, Yabusele and 2 future non-Kings pick.

Tell Lebron to opt out and in S&T, take a bit of a paycut like Durant (~25M/Year).

There's no way I'm trading a current max deal for him. And maybe Kyrie and Lebron could co-exist, because who knows, maybe Kyrie left more because he hated that CLE FO, not Lebron (The Cavaliers FO and organization does seem like a toxic environment).

The only way I see this happening is if the ownership for both teams make some sort of wink-wink deal with out Smart knowing. Something like Wyc saying to Dan Gilbert, if you offer Marcus $16M per year, we won't match and we will include Morris, the 2019 Sacramento pick and either the Grizzlies or Clippers pick for LeBron. Obviously, LeBron would have to be in on it too.

Actually. I just realized, I don't think the Cavaliers can even make a formal offer for Smart since they are way over the cap.

Basically, C's have to sign Smart to 14-16M/Year, Lebron opts out and signs for 25M/Year, and a sign and trade is done with us sending some other assets too (like Morris, Yabusele, 2-3 non-Kings picks). It's kind of complicated overall. Same with Houston or San Antonio if Lebron is thinking about joining either since they barely have cap space too.

Am I advocating we bring Lebron in? No. But in today's NBA and with all that's happened the last few years... it's not an impossible scenario lol.
would we even have to send out that much though in terms of picks?  If Lebron's leaving and makes it known to the Cavs front office, they don't exactly have much if any leverage to ask for anything in a S&T besides salary matching.  Smart and Morris would be quality players coming their way as well as a decent first round prospect in Yabu.  I won't get them far in the playoffs but they'd still be a playoff team in the east with their other players.

I can't stand Lebron (the crybaby personality and having the league kiss his butt since his debut in the league) but I can't argue with the fact that adding him for a meager price of Smart/Morris/Yabu would make the C's the prohibitive favorite for the title for the next 3-4 years (and possibly longer depending on how much Brown and Tatum develop).  I do like winning championships so I suppose I could learn to swallow my distaste for Lebron while he's in green.  I do root for the uniform after all.

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

would we even have to send out that much though in terms of picks?  If Lebron's leaving and makes it known to the Cavs front office, they don't exactly have much if any leverage to ask for anything in a S&T besides salary matching.  Smart and Morris would be quality players coming their way as well as a decent first round prospect in Yabu.  I won't get them far in the playoffs but they'd still be a playoff team in the east with their other players.

I can't stand Lebron (the crybaby personality and having the league kiss his butt since his debut in the league) but I can't argue with the fact that adding him for a meager price of Smart/Morris/Yabu would make the C's the prohibitive favorite for the title for the next 3-4 years (and possibly longer depending on how much Brown and Tatum develop).  I do like winning championships so I suppose I could learn to swallow my distaste for Lebron while he's in green.  I do root for the uniform after all.

You're right, but CLE could simply decide to not do a S&T and let Lebron walk for nothing. They'd essentially be in a rebuild and likely would prefer picks as opposed to just the salary matching pieces (Smart, Morris and Yabusele). That's why I assume two picks would be in the trade.

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

You're right, but CLE could simply decide to not do a S&T and let Lebron walk for nothing. They'd essentially be in a rebuild and likely would prefer picks as opposed to just the salary matching pieces (Smart, Morris and Yabusele). That's why I assume two picks would be in the trade.
Yeah.  Cleveland would obviously sign and trade (or just let him opt in and trade) James, but they aren't going to take back crap to do so.  It has to be worth their while.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah.  Cleveland would obviously sign and trade (or just let him opt in and trade) James, but they aren't going to take back crap to do so.  It has to be worth their while.

Exactly. It's what I've been saying to those here or in social media that say Houston can simply S&T for Lebron and send back Anderson + pieces.

I think CLE would rather let Lebron walk for nothing than do a sign and trade to take back Anderson for 20M/Year the next 2 years (even if Gordon is sent Cleveland's way too).

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2018, 03:14:48 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I would love to have LeBron on the Celtics, but I'm not trading Irving or Hayward to make the salaries work. Horford doesn't make sense for either team, so I don't know how you could make the salaries work.

Even if LeBron says f-it, I'm willing to go to the Celtics for the mid-level exception, I would still have hesitation. If I'm Danny, I would ask Kyrie if he would be on board with LeBron on the team and still sign an extension. Also, I would want Danny, coach Stevens, and ownership to make it clear to LeBron that they know what they're doing and to respect their decisions and trust them. And that this is Kyrie's team.

Why?

With all due respect to Kyrie or Hayward, Lebron is light years ahead of them as a player.

LeBron will go down as a top 3 or so player in history, and is probably there already. However, Kyrie and Hayward are a lot younger and want to be in Boston for seemingly the long term. LeBron is at the stage in his career where he may be more of a hired gun and will go to the highest bidder or team with the best chance to win on a year to year basis. Plus, with Irving and Hayward, I still think the Celtics are playing for a title for as long as they're here. Trading one of those guys for LeBron will still get us to the title game, but maybe shortening the timetable of title contention.

I think that's fair.  Here's how I'd frame the question, though:

Would you rather have a 85% chance at a title for 3-4 years, or a 50% chance at a title for 6-7 years?

I'm surprised that you're spotting the league 15%. If we were able to get LeBron for non essential players (and it's totally possible since it's a sign and trade... Cleveland will take whatever they can get for him), I can only imagine a roster of LeBron Kyrie Tatum Brown Horford and Hayward can only be stopped by a meteor right in the middle of Celtics practice.

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2018, 03:31:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think I would pass on GM advice from Antoine.   I think it has about as much value as his financial advice.

Give up a ton, win a title or two.   Develop what we have an become a dynasty...

Do folks really think he would come here.   We beat his rear for years, and he always get up to play hard against Boston.   He probably hates the city and the fans after all the years.   Pipedream City.

I can just see him coming and telling DA who to trade and deciding he was going to take over coaching from CBS at points in the game.   Also, the Celtics have never been big on "me" players but rather team players.   He is a great player, in the debate for the greatest ever but is he Celtic Material?     Nope.

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2018, 03:34:03 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
If you guys want LeBron, might as well try to trade for Kawhi instead..

I was reading a trade idea above and saw someone suggest Smart in a S&T for Lebron. 

I think Kawhi stays in San Antonio and signs the super-max, but if he actually does want out and the Spurs are looking to trade him, maybe a Smart S&T could work. Obviously we add other assets, but Smart helps to facilitate a deal with salary-matching. Kawhi IS the best Lebron stopper out there, too.

I thought Morris did the best he could on Lebron and was physical with him throughout, but it's just hard to stop Lebron in a whole series. He can kill you in many ways. Kawhi would help and also I think he actually would present a huge match up problem against the Sixers, Rockets and Warriors going forward. This is a Top-4 player in the league when healthy.

Ainge knows superstars win in this league, and as of now, we don't have any (yet). We have some guys (currently legit, All-Star caliber) who could be in a few years, but none at the very moment IMO. Cavaliers have 1 who is #1 in the entire league (though Lebron probably counts for two given his overall impact lol), and Warriors have 2 that are each Top-10 in the league (or 3 if you consider Klay one, which I honestly don't but he's close).

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2018, 03:41:37 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Ainge knows superstars win in this league, and as of now, we don't have any (yet). We have some guys (currently legit, All-Star caliber) who could be in a few years, but none at the very moment IMO. Cavaliers have 1 who is #1 in the entire league (though Lebron probably counts for two given his overall impact lol), and Warriors have 2 that are each Top-10 in the league (or 3 if you consider Klay one, which I honestly don't but he's close).

Kyrie is absolutely a superstar.

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2018, 03:44:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Kyrie is absolutely a superstar.

What is Hayward?

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2018, 03:48:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
At this point, I want to go through Lebron to breakthrough & win a title.  Not add him.

Would make it that much sweeter.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team