Author Topic: Roommate wants me to leave after 1st week of my last month, what should I do?  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Quick background story, my good friends of mine decided to stay and live with their parents to save money. So I got screwed over trying to find a roommate ASAP. I found some through Craigslist, and they are nice people, but they generally don't talk to me, and since the man and woman that are residing there, are clearly dating/open relationship, I am the third wheel at most times.

I try to have conversations with them, but they normally close themselves off to me. So eventually, over time I just would stay in my room, study, play video games, and go out.

Now I have gotten my room dirty, so I'm most likely going to look on cleaning my carpet, and cleaning some of the spider webs on top of my ceiling. (Very high ceiling, you would need a ladder to reach it.) But I have rarely touched any of the kitchen, or even used any of the appliances since I work two jobs and am rarely home.

He asked me if he would be okay with me leaving after the 1st week due to having to bring in the painters, and cleaners to clean the entire place.

Now they have lived in their residence for over 2 years, (3 if I'm correct?) so there is going to be some wear and tear. I have asked if they needed payment to cover services for cleaning, but they told me that they will use the security deposit. Now I'm thinking that my security deposit should only be covered for the kitchen, bathroom, and my room. If they are using the entire security deposit, it shouldn't make sense.

Plus on top of that, he also wants me to pay the full month, which makes no sense..

I'm thinking of turning in my keys June 8th, the first full week, so what obligations and options am I on the hook for?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
You’re entitled to stay for the entire month that you pay for. He also must give you 60 days notice.

As far as security deposit goes you may be sol unless you want to go to court. I’m assuming he has control of the lease/money?
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
If you haven't violated rules and they're asking you to leave early and you agree, I see no reason why you should have to compensate them for time that you are not living there.

I think it probably is determined by what you have written in an agreement (or email).

Did you make the room dirty, or did someone else? If you did, I could see why they would want some of your security deposit.

Tell them that you are willing to be reasonable and want to work with them. If this doesn't work, you can always take the unreasonable path....

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Do you have a lease/who's name is on it?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
You’re entitled to stay for the entire month that you pay for. He also must give you 60 days notice.

As far as security deposit goes you may be sol unless you want to go to court. I’m assuming he has control of the lease/money?

The landlord is rarely here so all of our names are on the lease. I feel like I should be only on the hook for the 1st week that I am here. From my experience once you turn in the keys that's pretty much the end of your lease agreement.

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152

The landlord is rarely here so all of our names are on the lease. I feel like I should be only on the hook for the 1st week that I am here. From my experience once you turn in the keys that's pretty much the end of your lease agreement.

It depends on the language of the lease. Some require you to give 60 days before lease end to give notice.

You need to be working with your landlord directly. He cannot ask you to pay for full month and not live there. But he can come after you if you have a lease through the end of the month. You have to tell him that you will be be living thereuntil end of month and you expect equal deduction from security deposit from all parties.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
No way do you pay for the full month. Either tell him you're staying the full month you paid for or calculate your month pro rated for the time you're there.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
No way do you pay for the full month. Either tell him you're staying the full month you paid for or calculate your month pro rated for the time you're there.

Also, if your concerned about the deposit, offer to do the work yourself. If they are unhappy with that, try to find a quote for a cheaper painter. I see no reason why they need to pay top dollar for repairs.

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
Reach out to the landlord and let them know that you're leaving and explain the situation. Sounds like your roommate is trying to take advantage of you. As others have said, you're probably sol when it comes to the security deposit, but the only way you would have to pay the full month is if you chose to leave early on your own. If the roommate is asking you to leave early, tell them you're willing to go early but that you'll only pay the prorated amount for the week that you'll be there.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
1) What state do you live in?
2) Do you have a signed lease?
3) Who did you pay your security deposit to?  Typically those go to landlords, and there are rules about how they can be used (and they can be very strict depending on what state your reside in).  If you paid it to your landlord, your roommates shouldn’t have any say whatsoever in how it is used.

But ultimately, if it’s not for emergency repair, you almost certainly can stay in your room until the lease is done.  And if it is for emergency repair, the lessor might be required to offer you alternate, and comparable, accommodations (depending on your jurisdiction).

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I wouldn't pay a full month rent if I'm vacating only one week in. Either negotiate a pro-rate with your roommate picking up the difference (and I'd copy the landlord that discussion) or you're entitled to stay in the house till month's end.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I'd say find a lawyer. Cuz according to them, they wanna kick you out after Week 1 but expects you to pay the full month's bill. And I agree with some of the others here about the security deposit thing on how it should be used.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
This is a small claims court issue (so no lawyer, you handle this yourself), and most small claims courts are very tenant friendly.

Your profile says you're in VA.  Quick google search says the following (but these are true in most places):

* If they've had you're security deposit for more than 13 months, they have to pay you interest on it.

* Landlord has to give you a move-out walk through inspection (so you can dispute claims of any issues).

* Landlord has to give you your security deposit back after 45 days, with any interest earned, and if they deduct anything they have to give you an itemized list of deductions.

* They can only keep your security deposit for unpaid rent, late rent charges, unpaid utilities, other damages or charges spelled out in lease agreement, and damages in excess of normal wear and tear.

Landlords try to screw tenants all the time (or a lot just don't know better).  They can not take any of your security deposit for normal wear and tear.  Unless you p---ed all over the carpet and didn't clean it up and stained all the walls, but if the carpet is just dirty from wearing shoes on it, you spilled some food on the carpet once or twice, that's all normal wear and tear.  If you scuffed the wall in a few places, got dirty handprints on the wall, again that's normal wear and tear.  Do not offer to pay for painting, carpet cleaning, etc., and DO NOT let them deduct from your security deposit for this.  Law is on your side.

They have to give you proper notice to move out (30 days in VA if no lease).
They can't make you move out early (but you can accept payment from them to move out early if you want to play it that way, cash for keys is a common deal).
They can't keep any of your security deposit for normal wear and tear.

Just google your state and tenant rights (and small claims court as well if they're being difficult).  The law is on your side!

Take pictures of your place, make sure you have a copy of your lease or any texts/emails in regards to lease agreement, and if you have to go small claims court, the process should be pretty easy (but maybe a little tedious).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Thank you very much for your help guys.

I'm stressed out a little bit, because when my roommate told me he wanted me to leave the first week out, I was okay with it. I didn't bring up the 1st week being prorated, because I assumed if he's asking me to leave early, I would only pay a certain amount. Now that I'm a few days days away from signing another lease, I would like to get this out of the way.

I'm going to end up talking to my condo's management, and figure out where to go from there, and get the landlord's number/email so I can talk to them. Hopefully, my roommate who also has my security deposit is willing and understanding. If not, I have to spend the next few weeks trying to find another place unless the new place is okay with waiting for me till the end of the month.

TP's to all that have responded, thanks once again.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
1. If you leave before the end of the lease, you owe the landlord for the full month. He’s under no obligation to take a pro-rated share;

2. If your roommate wants you to leave early, you can negotiate that, but make sure however you do it that the landlord is compensated (I.e., don’t trust your roommate to pay);

3. Make sure painters are actually necessary. In some states, landlords have an obligation to paint. In every state I’m aware of, normal wear and tear doesn’t have to be repaired;

4. You are probably out of luck on the security deposit at this time.  In general, you will have “joint and several” liability for the entire premises. Once the landlord withholds part or all of your security, and provides an itemized list, you then have the right to both contest unreasonable charges and to sue your roommates for damage they did exclusively.

5. Make sure you request a walkthrough with the landlord before moving out / handing over the keys. Take pictures of the apartment for use in further court proceedings.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes