Author Topic: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba  (Read 15354 times)

Re: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Something like Rozier and #27 to the Clippers for #12 works.  At #12 Robert Williams should still be available.

Or, maybe package #12 with the Kings 2019 pick to move up to #6 and take Bamba. This would only be possible if whovever is trading down to #12 really likes a prospect there.

Doubt Bamba drops to 6

He is top 4 in most mocks

Ayton 1 and Bamba 2 wouldnt be a surprise. Then Kings flip Cauley Stein for another player/prospect

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2018, 02:19:50 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Smoke screen.  Ainge will not reveal his intentions

Exactly. Any time you hear what the Celtics are "thinking," it's for one reason: Ainge wants it out there. When was the last time he ever did what the rumors said he would do?

I'm guessing Brown and change probably does it.  I have no idea what Bamba will be in the NBA; none at all. 

Regarding Brown, he still has as many question marks as he does talent. Is he a star? I'd bet not.  Can he play like a star sometimes?  Sure.  The question will be whether he can provide consistent production on a team where he will never be the man, or even second to the man.

And no, I don't think Rozier and the Sac pick is enough.

Dude, we pitched all those picks in the Rozier draft to move up like six spots and couldn't do it. Moving that far up will require a fortune..

Exactlier. It ALWAYS costs more, much more, to move up in the draft than it "should." The thrill of potential is just so much more than the value of a current player. No way it gets done for Rozier and the Sac pick.

Mike

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
"Celtics like Bamba"

Ainge messing with anyone who cares to read this stuff. He has the 27th pick and one of the potentially best starting sixes in the league....but, he "likes" Bamba.

I bet he "likes" ice cream too, are they going to change the team's name to the Boston Ice cream cones?
they really should.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
can't see a trade of Brown for any pick that's rumored to be available in this draft.  he's shown incredible growth in just 2 years and looks like he'll make several all-star teams. 

Can't see Danny giving that up for a big man with questions. 

No objections to seeing what Danny can do if using Rozier and picks to move up for someone he likes but Brown and Tatum should be off the board unless Anthony Davis is the target.

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2018, 02:27:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Unless you think Bamba is going to be an Anthony Davis / KAT type big man (i.e. can lots of things on both ends), I don't see how you could ever countenance trading a versatile wing talent like Jaylen Brown for a big man prospect.
Nobody thinks that.  They think he's Rudy Gobert.  Would you trade Brown for Gobert?
Gobert in his prime, probably, Gobert as a rookie with no idea where he ends up professionally, probably not.
I get this viewpoint on risk assessment.  I'd give these odds and I'd take the risk, but I get that we aren't in a position where we need to take risks.

5% - Bamba is Olajuwon defensively
25% - Bamba becomes Gobert
40% - Bamba is a serviceable role player
30% - Greg Oden

Barring injury, I don't see how he misses.
Sure, but Jaylen Brown is already a +defender, above average scorer, and a good all around player in just his 2nd year who is still just 21.  Jaylen Brown is trending quite high, and unlike Bamba, you have 2 years of actual NBA evidence to base that on. 

And everyone can miss.  I mean Darko Milicic was a can't miss prospect also (and he compares in many ways to Bamba).  If Bamba was as can't miss as you say, he would be the clear cut #1 pick in the draft.  He isn't for a reason. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
You never know what Ainge is going to do. This time last year nobody expect Kyrie to be a C and many felt Fultz was going to be the pick...and Hayward was still not signed

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2018, 02:39:44 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
You never know what Ainge is going to do. This time last year nobody expect Kyrie to be a C and many felt Fultz was going to be the pick...and Hayward was still not signed
The what if's is why we come to celtic blog. I am hopeful for something big.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Perhaps Memphis presents an outside chance of making a deal centered around Rozier. Memphis wants to still try to contend/not quite rebuild yet. So giving them Sacramento's pick next year might work for them (as opposed to other teams that would require substantially more value to defer their [projected] lottery pick).

Rozier also helps Memphis next year, both off-ball next to Conley, as a backup to Conley, and as Conley's replacement during [inevitable] injury/rest.

The guys available at #4 also might be pass-able for Memphis, given that they are either big men (Gasol-redundant), point guards (Conley-redundant), or wings that are not franchise-level. Memphis could hope for a better fit (better quality wings) or better talent (Gasol or Conley replacement) in the next draft.

It's still a reach, but maybe Rozier, Sacramento pick, give Memphis their own pick back or Celtics 2018 #27.

No way would I give up Brown.

I agree with this. Isn't Rozier more of a combo guard, maybe a bit undersized for a 2 but he can certainly rebound with and defend most 2s

« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2018, 02:42:16 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
"Celtics like Bamba"

Ainge messing with anyone who cares to read this stuff. He has the 27th pick and one of the potentially best starting sixes in the league....but, he "likes" Bamba.

I bet he "likes" ice cream too, are they going to change the team's name to the Boston Ice cream cones?
they really should.

I'm all over that. My daughter would totally let me take her to a basketball game if that was their name.

Now

Me: "Hey, Sophie, we're going to a Celtics game!"
Her: "No! I hate the Celtics! I want to get my nails painted and go to Rod Dee!

Then

Me: "Hey, Sophie, we're going to see some ice cream cones and get your face painted at the game!"
Her: "Whoo-hoo, get out the T pass!"

Not to mention all of the marketing opportunities and the unintentional humor of grown men wearing a t-shirt with a couple of scoops of ice cream on it, not to mention the teenagers who will no doubt flip the shirt upside down to turn it into a phallic symbol.

Mike

« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2018, 02:43:01 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Not going to happen.   Danny will be offering only Rozier and picks.  doesnt get it done. 

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Unless you think Bamba is going to be an Anthony Davis / KAT type big man (i.e. can lots of things on both ends), I don't see how you could ever countenance trading a versatile wing talent like Jaylen Brown for a big man prospect.
Nobody thinks that.  They think he's Rudy Gobert.  Would you trade Brown for Gobert?
Gobert in his prime, probably, Gobert as a rookie with no idea where he ends up professionally, probably not.
I get this viewpoint on risk assessment.  I'd give these odds and I'd take the risk, but I get that we aren't in a position where we need to take risks.

5% - Bamba is Olajuwon defensively
25% - Bamba becomes Gobert
40% - Bamba is a serviceable role player
30% - Greg Oden

Barring injury, I don't see how he misses.
Sure, but Jaylen Brown is already a +defender, above average scorer, and a good all around player in just his 2nd year who is still just 21.  Jaylen Brown is trending quite high, and unlike Bamba, you have 2 years of actual NBA evidence to base that on. 

And everyone can miss.  I mean Darko Milicic was a can't miss prospect also (and he compares in many ways to Bamba).  If Bamba was as can't miss as you say, he would be the clear cut #1 pick in the draft.  He isn't for a reason.

I always get a shiver when I agree with Moranis -- it's almost like a dark power somewhere is laughing with glee.

« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2018, 02:52:58 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

^^^ This^^^

We're all just spitballing. Some guys get upset just because we discuss moving certain players. I never thought IT would be traded. I always wanted Tatum from watching him 5 minutes at Duke. I thought he would've went #1 but Ainge fleeced the Sixers.

« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2018, 02:53:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Every year, like clockwork on this board, the allure of potential blinds people of what is already in front of them.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2018, 02:55:39 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think Ainge is playing people. Unless Bamba evolves as an offensive player in ways he hasn't shown, he's exactly the kind of center that great small-ball teams can run off the floor.

The test is simple: could a small ball forward get by covering him?

Right now the answer is yes, they could. This happens to the archetype of all current rim protectors, Rudy Gobert. That's Bamba's ceiling right now. It's fine during the season when you want to win lots of games against average teams. But in the playoffs, against small-ball capable rosters, he's useless.

Ainge will probably really want Jaren Jackson or Wendell Carter, because they should become good enough to stay on the floor against small ball lineups.

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2018, 02:55:42 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
According to my sources, the Sacramento Kings would love to add Lebron James this summer