Author Topic: Invasion of the Squirrels: What to do?  (Read 1671 times)

Invasion of the Squirrels: What to do?
« on: May 30, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Strange topic.  I've had a chance to sit on the deck a couple of times this spring and have noticed a rather amazing increase in the squirrel population as I'm observing my yard.  First, I am wondering if this is unique to me (Chelmsford, MA), or if it's happening everywhere.  I just counted 10 (10!!) squirrels in my yard or trees.    I am sitting on the deck working and about every 10 minutes one of them creeps up on the deck and I shoo it away. 

Thankfully they haven't explored my attic, chimney, or anywhere inside... yet.   

Anyway,  have any of you had a squirrel population issue and, if so, did you do anything that successfully repelled them?  I'm not shooting them or trapping them unless they start attacking me or my wife-- so no need to go there.

Thanks. 

Re: Invasion of the Squirrels: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Strange topic.  I've had a chance to sit on the deck a couple of times this spring and have noticed a rather amazing increase in the squirrel population as I'm observing my yard.  First, I am wondering if this is unique to me (Chelmsford, MA), or if it's happening everywhere.  I just counted 10 (10!!) squirrels in my yard or trees.    I am sitting on the deck working and about every 10 minutes one of them creeps up on the deck and I shoo it away. 

Anyway,  have any of you had a squirrel population issue and, if so, did you do anything that successfully repelled them?  I'm not shooting them or trapping them unless they start attacking me or my wife-- so no need to go there.

Thanks.

Either stick to trapping, using repellent that has coyote blood or urine, or start bringing in a cat or a dog.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:50:05 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Squirrels are nice creatures....They are not selfish and take good care of each other..feed each other
at times when needed, etc...
Having animals around one's house is a sign there is good energy around...of course you don't want them moving into chimney, etc...that's always sad when it goes too far.   Where I'm living we feed a few of them by hand...but since you have so many I wouldn't do that...just enjoy them and ask yourself why you're so likable... 8)

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 10:53:26 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Squirrels are nice creatures....They are not selfish and take good care of each other..feed each other
Having animals around one's house is a sign there is good energy around...of course you don't want them moving into chimney, etc...that's always sad when it goes too far.   Where I'm living we feed a few of them by hand...but since you have so many I wouldn't do that...just enjoy them and ask yourself why you're so likable... 8)

Now I hate to say this but this is ridiculous. Squirrels are rodents. Hopefully they are the grey ones and not red ones. Get red ones in your house and they are extremely difficult to get rid of. If you can I would start shooting them but in Chelmsford I would guess that is not possible. If you have bird feeders that attracts them too.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 10:56:28 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

Your opinion might change if you just slaved away tilling up your backyard and then see these Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.s come in and use the area as a playground.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

!@#% squirrels!

They are pests. They run around creating havoc, they become impossible to get rid of once they started overpopulating, and they also cause damage to electrical and telephone cables... They run into attics during winter, they become extremely annoying, and some squirrels have been known to even go after cats or small dogs.

One time our apartment complex lost power a few years ago, because some smart squirrel decided it looked like a tasty snack, and kept nibbling on the cable. The repairman figured it out, because all he remembered seeing was blackened crispy squirrel laying right next to a cut cable.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 11:13:07 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I feel bad that I actually burst out laughing seeing this pic  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 11:19:51 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Your opinion might change if you just slaved away tilling up your backyard and then see these ****s come in and use the area as a playground.

It's even said that sharing the property with plenty of animals brings good fortune (money) to the household.  So it's up to you if you want to eat your own organic lettuce or win the lottery... ;D

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 11:35:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Thanks.

Why not trap them? If you’re squeamish about killing, use a havahart trap.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
And I thought this was going to be a Rollie post and not a real post about actual invading squirrels  :)