Author Topic: What ring chasing veteran might take a discount to come win a ring?  (Read 8310 times)

Re: What ring chasing veteran might take a discount to come win a ring?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 07:57:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 07:58:52 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
How about bringing Avery Bradley back if the price is right? He's an unrestricted FA and his stock took a hit since he left the Celtics.

Belinelli would be great to add too.

Excellent idea, though he prob. wants Marcus Smart money. They probably have a comparable market value. Smart is the more physical defender while Bradley is a better shooter.

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 08:03:25 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I think Bellinelli would be a great add (Korver & redick type) just give him a couple inches and the shot is off an he has some size.

I always have loved AB but he is always hurt and will he be accepting of a smaller bench role and a smaller salary?

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 08:03:37 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
How about bringing Avery Bradley back if the price is right? He's an unrestricted FA and his stock took a hit since he left the Celtics.

Belinelli would be great to add too.

I can't possibly imagine his price tag was reduced to the MLE.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 08:15:00 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
David West is always willing to do bargain work for a ring.

I don't know if I want him now that we're the young team looking to start contending instead of the older team starting to decline
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 08:20:08 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
We have to consider in this the team is bringing in more young players via the draft.  If the roster is full, there are big minute questions to begin with. 

If Baynes and Smart come back, I don't think you have really any room besides to add maybe a Belinelli who knows he may not play except when shooting is needed.  We will have I think Hayward playing a lot of PF, Morris and Semi at PF.  Horford, Baynes, and Theis needing proper big minutes.  You have to get minutes and shots for Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Smart, and Rozier.  Yabu has showed real potential I think, particularly on defense. 

The team will be stacked.  You want to give young guys like Semi or Yab the chance I think.  We may also draft someone who can play or even trade up for a higher pick or something. 

For me I think you can always use a veteran shooter but otherwise we are pretty set.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 08:24:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We have to consider in this the team is bringing in more young players via the draft.  If the roster is full, there are big minute questions to begin with. 

If Baynes and Smart come back, I don't think you have really any room besides to add maybe a Belinelli who knows he may not play except when shooting is needed.  We will have I think Hayward playing a lot of PF, Morris and Semi at PF.  Horford, Baynes, and Theis needing proper big minutes.  You have to get minutes and shots for Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Smart, and Rozier.  Yabu has showed real potential I think, particularly on defense. 

The team will be stacked.  You want to give young guys like Semi or Yab the chance I think.  We may also draft someone who can play or even trade up for a higher pick or something. 

For me I think you can always use a veteran shooter but otherwise we are pretty set.

We only have one pick in this draft, a late 1st. Who knows if we even use it, we might trade it away. We can also let go of guys like Nader and Jabari Bird, and Larkin and Monroe. We have room for a vet or two.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 08:30:20 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

We only have one pick in this draft, a late 1st. Who knows if we even use it, we might trade it away. We can also let go of guys like Nader and Jabari Bird, and Larkin and Monroe. We have room for a vet or two.

I'm not sure those guys would be better than Jabari Bird another year in, Larkin, or Monroe.  I just don't think the minutes are there so much anyways.  You're going to want to give Yab and Semi some minutes another year in.   Rozier has earned his minutes.  I don't think there will be some vet good enough to dislodge any of the young guys.  I can't imagine a vet big out there I'd bring in over our rotation brought back from last year, with a guy like Semi another year in hopefully hitting his 3 point shots at a decent rate at small ball PF (which could actually suddenly make him a really good player), then Theis and Baynes.

We aren't exactly the LeBron teams that get the pile on ring chasers who need them because they don't have much on the roster besides the top talent.  The team is very stacked if healthy.  Guys need minutes and a role and the ball to get their shots.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 08:36:05 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'd give Perk an honorary lifetime contract.

Ainge would not because he wants to win and is not sentimental.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 08:52:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

#TeamYabusele

This is pretty much where I'm at. However, I'm quite dubious that both Smart & Rozier are here next year. Both based on the future financial implications so many have talked about, and I just have a gut feeling ;D

I feel like Tyreke may be out of our price-range, but a Bellinelli / Redick type guy, especially if Smart stays and Rozier is shipped off (presumably for a pick), would be perfect next to him off the bench

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
AD wants a ring

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 09:32:46 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
When JJ Reddick praised the C's a week ago in some podcast and said TD Garden was like the loudest playoff arena he'd ever played in, I dreamed of the possibility of signing him as a ring chaser. I doubt it happens this year as he'll get paid somewhere, but maybe a few years down the line it can happen  8)

HE CAN BE OUR KYLE KORVER?? LOL
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 09:41:36 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
If Smart leaves, maybe Danny Green if he opts out?

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 09:50:27 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Glenn Robinson III would be a great fit.  Same with Yogi Ferrell at back-up PG.

That ship has sailed. He is now with the enemy and cheering on the enemy. Bye Felicia.

Perk was traded the season we should've won our 2nd title, so you can't blame him for any lack of allegiance to the Celts.  He remains friends with the guys from that team though.  Last I read he was still doing summer camps with Rondo.

I do honestly believe GR3 and Ferrell would be great additions.  GR3 is a very good and flexible defender, perfect for our system.  While he can be too hesitant offensively at times, he's also a career 38% shooter from deep.  Coming off injury last season at age 24, he may be available and relatively inexpensive too, as he has yet to break out.

Yogi Ferrell is solid young player (25).  Good feel for the game, decent rebounder and passer, good scorer, and shoots 38% from deep.  Also a fine athlete and can hold his own on defense. While he looked like he could coexist with DSJ at times, I'm not sure how he fits into their plans moving forward.  But if Rozier were to be traded, Yogi could be a darkhorse FA target.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 09:54:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Glenn Robinson III would be a great fit.  Same with Yogi Ferrell at back-up PG.

That ship has sailed. He is now with the enemy and cheering on the enemy. Bye Felicia.

Perk was traded the season we should've won our 2nd title, so you can't blame him for any lack of allegiance to the Celts.  He remains friends with the guys from that team though.  Last I read he was still doing summer camps with Rondo.

I do honestly believe GR3 and Ferrell would be great additions.  GR3 is a very good and flexible defender, perfect for our system.  While he can be too hesitant offensively at times, he's also a career 38% shooter from deep.  Coming off injury last season at age 24, he may be available and relatively inexpensive too, as he has yet to break out.

Yogi Ferrell is solid young player (25).  Good feel for the game, decent rebounder and passer, good scorer, and shoots 38% from deep.  Also a fine athlete and can hold his own on defense. While he looked like he could coexist with DSJ at times, I'm not sure how he fits into their plans moving forward.  But if Rozier were to be traded, Yogi could be a darkhorse FA target.
I agree with both of these.

Having GRIII running the break next to JB would be crazy fun. Super athletes (assuming Robinson comes back ok).

Additionally, his nickname is Yogi! How could anyone not want him??