Author Topic: ABC cancels the #1 show on TV (Roseanne)  (Read 4707 times)

Re: ABC cancels the #1 show on TV (Roseanne)
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2018, 09:54:10 PM »

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1236
Roseanne's words didn't effect just her. Over 200 people lose their jobs because of the cancellation and Disney also loses the revenue from sponsors advertising on the #1 show in America. So she not only goes racist but screws over a bunch of people.
Affect

That's on ABC. They coulda just written her off the show. I suppose they still could.

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2018, 10:04:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Roseanne's words didn't effect just her. Over 200 people lose their jobs because of the cancellation and Disney also loses the revenue from sponsors advertising on the #1 show in America. So she not only goes racist but screws over a bunch of people.
Affect

That's on ABC. They coulda just written her off the show. I suppose they still could.
Writing her off the show that bears her name would have been quite a trick.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2018, 01:05:14 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 245
Of course she should be fired...really Idiotic tweet....

But, ABC/ESPN just hired that Huge ****bag, Keith Olbermann---His tweets are some the worst things you'll ever read.

Neither should have a job on television.

Come on man, you can't pique my curiosity without a link. I just googled around quickly and didn't see anything comparable from Olbermann. I have no opinion on Olbermann, just wondering what he said. Yes, I'm taking your bait.  ;D

https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1001549187572555776
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2018, 02:26:30 AM »

Offline JSD

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1140
Reason #537 there will be no blue wave.

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2018, 07:16:13 AM »

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1236
Affect

They had nothing to lose at that point.

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2018, 08:04:33 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 172
Never liked that fat slob!  ;)

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2018, 08:07:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 914
Roseanne is back on twitter.  Says her comments are indefensible, that her fans shouldn't be defending her, and were the result of ambien at 2 am.  She also apologized generally and directly to Ms. Jarrett.  Damage control at its finest, but probably not enough to save her show. 

That said, these type of comments are nothing new from Roseanne so I'm not sure what any one was really expecting and certainly someone like Sara Gilbert knew this about Roseanne when she agreed to do the show again.  I find her indignation to be a bit much, over the top, and frankly a fair amount hypocritical. 

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2018, 08:39:34 AM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 30
Of course she should be fired...really Idiotic tweet....

But, ABC/ESPN just hired that Huge ****bag, Keith Olbermann---His tweets are some the worst things you'll ever read.

Neither should have a job on television.

Come on man, you can't pique my curiosity without a link. I just googled around quickly and didn't see anything comparable from Olbermann. I have no opinion on Olbermann, just wondering what he said. Yes, I'm taking your bait.  ;D

https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1001549187572555776

That's a collage of Olbermann tweets in which he insults Trump. There is nothing remotely racist in those tweets. Vulgarity is fine, racism is not.

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 268
I don't feel sad/angry when reading Roseanne's tweets- she clearly crossed the line and is now facing consequences. I feel bad when I jump on twitter and see how many people are supporting her in her right to make awful comments to black people. Sometimes I have complete faith in humanity. Other times, like this morning, I feel a little down on where we are in 2018.

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »

Offline gift

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 142
Affect

Which was quite an issue back when the show was first on. It's the reason Home Improvement was not The Tim Allen Show. Specifically, they didn't want to follow Roseanne with lack of flexibility with its star (and many other shows did the same around the time).

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2018, 11:12:08 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 371
I'm not defending her or what she said. She deserves any punishment she gets. My question though is if you're a star and on something like Ambien, why allow yourself access to social media?

You're just asking for trouble.

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2018, 11:19:47 AM »

Offline gift

• Bill Walton

I ask again, what damage was done by Roseanne's tweet that was not done by its proliferation in media reports about it? I think this is an important point to consider. I'm not defending the comment, I'm criticizing the basis for its power/harm.

If the comment itself is harmful, why is it being spread beyond its original influence? If the comment is not harmful in itself, but rather the context or intent is important, why is there so little room for explanation? Why is it willfully obtuse to question the intent or context? If it's the context/intent that matters, shouldn't we examine the context/intent? The intent seems to be assumed by the very comment itself. The fact that it was made proves its insensitive, perhaps malicious intent. But that seems to indicate the comment is inherintly powerful regardless of intent. If this is the case, why can a media report the comment, introducing it to more people than those who were originally aware of it, without criticism?

Note: I don't expect anyone to truly care about this. But I think the discussion would be beneficial and ultimately more powerful than the comment, no matter its intent, could ever be.

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »

Offline gift

• Bill Walton
I'm not defending her or what she said. She deserves any punishment she gets. My question though is if you're a star and on something like Ambien, why allow yourself access to social media?

Honestly, I doubt it was Ambien. She was likely on (or off) something else. But that's speculation.

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2018, 11:23:41 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Honestly, I doubt it was Ambien. She was likely on (or off) something else. But that's speculation.

So what if she was on Ambien? How does that change anything. Does it change your thinking or does it just make you do things that you shouldn't...like tweet things that you are actually thinking.

Hey Jaylen. I lost 519 Tommy Points betting on you guys and lost

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2018, 11:30:03 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27757
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

So what if she was on Ambien? How does that change anything. Does it change your thinking or does it just make you do things that you shouldn't...like tweet things that you are actually thinking.

Iíve seen a couple of people I know do crazy things on Ambien. I would say that it may both change peopleís thinking and actions.

Iím skeptical of the ambien defense here, though. I thinking sitting down at your computer / phone takes too much cognitive clarity to send a tweet like that.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...