Author Topic: ABC cancels the #1 show on TV (Roseanne)  (Read 4709 times)

Re: ABC cancels the #1 show on TV (Roseanne)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 04:58:13 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 195
Bill maher compared trump to an orangutan a few years ago.  Will hbo condemn or is bigotry allowed against trump?

https://youtu.be/WB4sGX0R5ak

I can also list many comedians who make race jokes.

you.....you don't see a wee bit of difference in calling a white person "an ape" and a black person the same?

Come on man, your better than that.

Things Roseanne could have done to prevent this - not gotten all racist on Twitter in what (one assumes) was an inebriated moment.
comparing to apes and comparing to made up characters in a movie are 2 different things

I really don't think Roseanne meant it to be racist. That's my personal opinion. It came out looking that way. The character from planet of the apes, in my opinion , does not even resemble an ape. They look more like aliens.  It was a poorly thought out "insult comedy"

She tried to make a "roast" and it backfired

Even if I wanted to grant that Roseanne was not acting in bad faith, she still knew the implications of making that comparison.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 05:14:05 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 32
As someone who leans more right than left I was very disappointed by what she said.  There's a time and a place for the "roast" style jokes and this wasn't it.  She should know better.  She should know better than to stoop to the gutter levels of the extreme leftists and alt-right where the racists exist.  I don't think her intent was to be racist but I do think she'll have to live with the consequences.

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 05:16:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 889
  • Mr. Emoji
So I guess that you could say that this Tweet has resulted in Roseanne being...barred from TV ;) ::) ;D? #Groan
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:24:17 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 05:16:53 PM »

Offline gift

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 142
Bill maher compared trump to an orangutan a few years ago.  Will hbo condemn or is bigotry allowed against trump?

you.....you don't see a wee bit of difference in calling a white person "an ape" and a black person the same?

Things Roseanne could have done to prevent this - not gotten all racist on Twitter in what (one assumes) was an inebriated moment.
I really don't think Roseanne meant it to be racist. That's my personal opinion. It came out looking that way. The character from planet of the apes, in my opinion , does not even resemble an ape. They look more like aliens.  It was a poorly thought out "insult comedy"

Holy Enabling Excuses, Batman!

It sounds like she was probably off some meds (she has known issues) and said a bunch of stuff that made no sense.

I've never been a fan, but and I can understand the cancellation of the show for publicity reasons. Beyond that I don't think much damage was done that won't be extended by the backlash itself.

If a comment is hurtful, but deleted, why is reporting that comment and making it more popular than it would be otherwise not also harmful? I would never have heard about this if it had not been reported. Are these things actually being handled in the best manner? Are we all pawns? Who benefits from the prolonged combative discourse that might disappear, becoming archaic in modern times, otherwise?

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 05:20:46 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 991

I really don't think Roseanne meant it to be racist. That's my personal opinion. It came out looking that way. The character from planet of the apes, in my opinion , does not even resemble an ape. They look more like aliens. 

You're right. It should have been called "Planet of the Aliens."

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1042
She should have never of said it, it was not funny, either.  So I really did not see as comedian crossing lines, because it was not funny.

I don't think people from any ethnic background should be called an ape.  I didn't say race because we are all human.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 108

Holy Enabling Excuses, Batman!

It sounds like she was probably off some meds (she has known issues) and said a bunch of stuff that made no sense.

I've never been a fan, but and I can understand the cancellation of the show for publicity reasons. Beyond that I don't think much damage was done that won't be extended by the backlash itself.

If a comment is hurtful, but deleted, why is reporting that comment and making it more popular than it would be otherwise not also harmful? I would never have heard about this if it had not been reported. Are these things actually being handled in the best manner? Are we all pawns? Who benefits from the prolonged combative discourse that might disappear, becoming archaic in modern times, otherwise?

Twitter has become a province of the totalitarian mob unfortunately. Both FB and Twitter employ legions of censors ferreting out "hate speech". Not only obvious targets like this but just off-color jokes go to the digital gulag for punishment. How long until we are like China, with 24/7 surveillance and "social scores" that follow us around everywhere we go?

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 05:34:58 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 274
Honestly, what did ABC expect? This is exactly how Roseanne has behaved since forever. They brought her back to be a caricature of a Trump supporter... and that's what they got. She's always been a complete train wreck of a human being, it's just that for TV she gets a script and an editor.
---
Lucky17 Yahoo! Points League: Jackalopes
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 05:44:01 PM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 30
Bill maher compared trump to an orangutan a few years ago.  Will hbo condemn or bigotry allowed against trump?

While I think Maher can be a big jerk, I don't see this as even a little bit comparable to Roseanne calling an African American an ape.
you donít see the similarity of Maher making fun of trumps skin color? How do you define racial bigotry then if it isnít that?
You think choosing to wear orange spray tan is the same as being born black? That's quite an impressive leap, I must admit.
so itís ok to bully someone over their skin color and compare them to monkeys  as long as itís a Tan  ? Just want to make it clear

You're either being willfully obtuse, or have a shocking lack of insight. I think we all know it's the former. Move along and have a nice day.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 05:44:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• NCE
  • Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 2073
noble prize ,

god forbid anybody insult trump

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 30
noble prize ,

god forbid anybody insult trump

the persecution of affluent white celebrities in this country is shameful

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 05:55:13 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1355
Bill maher compared trump to an orangutan a few years ago.  Will hbo condemn or bigotry allowed against trump?

While I think Maher can be a big jerk, I don't see this as even a little bit comparable to Roseanne calling an African American an ape.
you donít see the similarity of Maher making fun of trumps skin color? How do you define racial bigotry then if it isnít that?
You think choosing to wear orange spray tan is the same as being born black? That's quite an impressive leap, I must admit.
so itís ok to bully someone over their skin color and compare them to monkeys  as long as itís a Tan  ? Just want to make it clear

Not sure which side of the Maher question I'm on -- but, do note that you've done the typical defense of the Trump administration: "What about him???"   In other words, rather than condemn or support Roseanne's statements and subsequent firing, you provide a distraction/misdirection by condemning the actions of someone else.  So... I'll stipulate:  Bill Maher's comments were offensive and he should be reprimanded for making a physical appearance remark comparing Donald to an orangutan (not really racial because Artificially Tanned White is not actually a racial group).

Now... was Roseanne's tweet OK in your opinion or not?   

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 06:04:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27757
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Yeah, thatís a line you donít cross, attempting (mean-spirited) ďhumorĒ or not.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 06:18:35 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 268
Pretty tough day for self-described Deplorable nation.

Hopefully we can realize that there are limits to freedom of speech when discussing certain things. It's pretty clear to most when the line is crossed.

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 06:19:45 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Pretty sad state of America if a show starring that old bag is the #1 show on TV.  And, I don't mean this in a political light.  She is just not funny.