Author Topic: Weird Idea. Change the 3 pointer, to a 2.5er  (Read 3192 times)

Re: Weird Idea. Change the 3 pointer, to a 2.5er
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 12:03:08 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
make your shots and stop complaining

No. Think about it. There is just too much incentives for the mathematician's to shoot threes. It's ruining the game.
how is it ruining the game?   

Use evidence like viewership numbers that the game is ruined. the nba product is good. Virtually no one except very few tiny number of 3 pt  shot haters hate what's happening

Warriors jerseys like curry  are some of the best selling jerseys. Does that sound like "most fans hate the 3 pointer?"

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 12:07:46 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!

No. Think about it. There is just too much incentives for the mathematician's to shoot threes. It's ruining the game.
how is it ruining the game? Tatum shoots the long 2 and is doing quite well for himself

Use evidence like viewership numbers that the game is ruined.

Viewers tune in to watch stars. I tune in to watch basketball. That’s why I don’t like it personally. It’s become the path of least resistance now. You can’t be GS without their players!

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 12:09:25 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

leave the three ball alone but make every shooting foul three free throws OR two free throws and a bonus. If you are fouled shooting the ball and you miss why do you only get two shots to replace the basket you could have made had you not been fouled, what about the penalty shot?

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 12:10:32 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
In the 80s no team was shooting threes because maybe its a difficult to ask a player to stand in a corner and wait for an assist from Bird or Magic.

The best thing for the NBA to do is not count threes as twos during the first 10 minutes of each qtr except the 4th when all threes shot will be counted as threes. This way we are bound to see mid range and box actions as teams can pack the middle.. All of Curry's 40 footers which are layups for him will be just worth 2 points... Haha.

Ofcourse it will be stupid for the league to do this anyway.
rules aren't changing just because a few people don't like 3 pointers
I bet Most people love the shot

CHICKS definitely love the long ball.

Huh?

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 12:10:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think if the 3 point shooting percentage continues to climb, this would be a brilliant solution.

TP.
solution to what problem

Well, this: at some point if shooting percentage of 3 point shot gets close to shooting percentage of 2 point shot (it is trending in this direction), the reward for a 3 point shot is too disproportionate. It is given a 50% bonus because it is supposed to be harder. Ideally it should be 50% harder to properly correlate to the degree of difficulty. That no longer is the case.

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 12:11:03 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Use evidence like viewership numbers that the game is ruined. the nba product is good. Virtually no one except very few tiny number of 3 pt  shot haters hate what's happening

Warriors jerseys like curry  are some of the best selling jerseys. Does that sound like "most fans hate the 3 pointer?"

Because we had no plan B..we Attempted 39 threes and hit 7 of  them. Live by the three, die by the three.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 12:12:34 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

No, it's the mathematicians who have ruined the game. Well, at least in my view, anyway :-\.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 12:14:55 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yeah, NBA teams shoot too many threes.

Widen the court and move the three point line back a good 3-4 feet.  Make it a more difficult shot to make since it's worth 50% more points.   Logically speaking, it's never made sense to have a shot that is worth 50% more points not be ~ 50% more difficult to make.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 12:18:20 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
In the 80s no team was shooting threes because maybe its a difficult to ask a player to stand in a corner and wait for an assist from Bird or Magic.

The best thing for the NBA to do is not count threes as twos during the first 10 minutes of each qtr except the 4th when all threes shot will be counted as threes. This way we are bound to see mid range and box actions as teams can pack the middle.. All of Curry's 40 footers which are layups for him will be just worth 2 points... Haha.

Ofcourse it will be stupid for the league to do this anyway.
rules aren't changing just because a few people don't like 3 pointers
I bet Most people love the shot

CHICKS definitely love the long ball.

So right. It's a little known fact, but that time Michael Jordan punched Steve Kerr at practice, it was not basketball-related. It was because Kerr was stealing all of MJ's women.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 12:19:32 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Because we had no plan B..we Attempted 39 threes and hit 7 of  them. Live by the three, die by the three.
that's because we have ball chuckers that have little court vision and assist ability

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 12:20:52 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

how is it ruining the game? Tatum shoots the long 2 and is doing quite well for himself

Use evidence like viewership numbers that the game is ruined.

Viewers tune in to watch stars. I tune in to watch basketball. That’s why I don’t like it personally. It’s become the path of least resistance now. You can’t be GS without their players!

Right? I mean, unless someone finds a way to clone Curry, Thompson, and Durant, I think it's pretty safe to say that you're not going to beat them at their own game. Duh :P. Like, would the Celtics in the 80s have beaten the Showtime Lakers in a dunk contest, because I think not, LOL ;D. Morons.

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 12:21:19 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I think if the 3 point shooting percentage continues to climb, this would be a brilliant solution.

TP.
solution to what problem

Well, this: at some point if shooting percentage of 3 point shot gets close to shooting percentage of 2 point shot (it is trending in this direction), the reward for a 3 point shot is too disproportionate. It is given a 50% bonus because it is supposed to be harder. Ideally it should be 50% harder to properly correlate to the degree of difficulty. That no longer is the case.
1. Some shots are significantly easier than another yet the same. A slam dunk gets you 2 points and its the same as a long 2. Corner 3 is easier to shoot than other 3s. The game isnt composed of all equal  shots

2. it's such an easy shot that our guards went 0-10, 0-4, and 2-12 from 3 In a pivotal game 7. Something tells me it isn't as easy as you believe it is

3. The league isn't in the business of making shots exactly fair

Its in the business of making the most entertaining product. People love the 3. There is no problem to anyone except a tiny number of people who don't like when things change
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:30:16 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 12:55:23 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

TP.
solution to what problem

1. Some shots are significantly easier than another yet the same. A slam dunk gets you 2 points and its the same as a long 2. Corner 3 is easier to shoot than other 3s. The game isnt composed of all equal  shots

2. it's such an easy shot that our guards went 0-10, 0-4, and 2-12 from 3 In a pivotal game 7. Something tells me it isn't as easy as you believe it is

Its in the business of making the most entertaining product. People love the 3. There is no problem to anyone except a tiny number of people who don't like when things change

I don't think as many people love the three as you seem to suggest.

Casual fans seem to like high scoring games, more than anything.  Basketball junkies seem to value many different things.

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 12:57:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

TP.
solution to what problem

Casual fans seem to like high scoring games, more than anything.  Basketball junkies seem to value many different things.
Agree with KGs Knee
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 01:06:53 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

TP.
solution to what problem

viewership is highest ever now and growing like gangbusters around the world

They're not changing a thing. You're sorely mistaken of you think fans and players  would be ok with the 3 being penalized
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:15:36 AM by CelticsElite »